Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I thought the rally innovations light bar had two end wings, a bit like a starfighter, and a lower and upper plate running between the wings? Oh, rereading your message i see that this is the goofy bits. Expensive to buy this and discard it i guess? Is the rest of the mount worth it?

How are you going with vibration, which I find very distracting myself? How even is the spread?

Glad you got it sorted too and happy with it. Every solution is a compromise. What I like about my solution is it's discreteness and that it has no lever arm off the mount, as the light bar sits directly below the mount off the strongest part of the plastic grill, so less vibration risk. I also appreciate that lazar did a great job of beamforming due to how they manufacture the reflectors and having all the leds in one package, which gives me a really good and even spread with minimal vertical dispersion. The lumens are pretty much identical to the recommended Baja designs lights too, which is nice.

Having said that, I like how your solution looks and I'd be really happy with that one too I'm sure. Looks much better without the goofiness of the starfighter ;-)

Btwl, which lights do you call the brights? It's not a term we use in australia. The canbus canm8 thing was a real pain for me so avoiding it is a good idea.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Rally Innovations light bar, and I have to say I'm sorta not impressed. So the lights mount to the lower plate, and then there is a piece that bolts on top that puts a plate on top of the lights, and the little uprights on the left and ride. I never thought it was a good look, I thought it looked kinda goofy and that it ruined the distinctive grill lines of the RS. I let it ride though, as I think the benefits of having the lights outweigh the cosmetic cons. When I got around to installing it, the upper portion I described above did not fit right at all. I decided to leave that piece off, and I actually think it looks much better that way. So overall I am satisfied, very much so. I am just unhappy with the fact that I spent so much money(~$400 on the light mount, sans lights), and that I ended up not using the biggest/likely most expensive piece to manufacture. I used the Baja Designs dual light harnesses(x 2), spliced into the brights, all the wiring hidden, nice and clean under the hood. Here are a couple crappy pictures
So I'm wondering how you tapped the brights? Any details? Did you do it at the connection/plug to the headlight?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Another option: Lazer Lamps from M-Sport, how they have it set up on their Recce. Gotta drill the bumper but I was thinking of reinforcing the mounting with bolts anyway. Might be a while till I get them in hand then another while till I put them on. I'd like to find a more elegant solution to the wiring though, instead of just closing the hood on it.

post-11543-0-44380900-1491722217.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I'm wondering how you tapped the brights? Any details? Did you do it at the connection/plug to the headlight?
Specifically the harness I linked below, x2 for 4 lights total. It includes the relay and the tap, you simply connect the ground coming out of the relay, and the positive coming out of the relay. Then clamp find the trigger wire for the brights, and clamp the tap onto it. Same method I used on my ST when I ran the same 4 lights.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Another option: Lazer Lamps from M-Sport, how they have it set up on their Recce. Gotta drill the bumper but I was thinking of reinforcing the mounting with bolts anyway. Might be a while till I get them in hand then another while till I put them on. I'd like to find a more elegant solution to the wiring though, instead of just closing the hood on it.
I've actually been looking around their website for a while now trying to figure out the best/easiest way to add some side lighting for my light bar set-up. They have several $$$ rally spec set-ups, but I don't think I've ever seen that particular light pod. Probably a specific mount made for M-sport.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've actually been looking around their website for a while now trying to figure out the best/easiest way to add some side lighting for my light bar set-up. They have several $$$ rally spec set-ups, but I don't think I've ever seen that particular light pod. Probably a specific mount made for M-sport.
I purchased directly from M-Sport, although it took a minute to get a response (somehow it was harder than begging Reiger).

The salesperson I was in contact with at Lazer Lamps didn't seem to know what I was talking about and just pointed me to the linear light bar mounted between the mesh.

I was told they're the lamp pods for the Fiesta R5, but they have options for that on the current two and four way rally lamp pods. So it leads me to believe it's the old design. To save some money you could just buy two Triple R lamps and mock up some mounts yourself.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I purchased directly from M-Sport, although it took a minute to get a response (somehow it was harder than begging Reiger).

The salesperson I was in contact with at Lazer Lamps didn't seem to know what I was talking about and just pointed me to the linear light bar mounted between the mesh.

I was told they're the lamp pods for the Fiesta R5, but they have options for that on the current two and four way rally lamp pods. So it leads me to believe it's the old design. To save some money you could just buy two Triple R lamps and mock up some mounts yourself.
I didn't realize they sold anything else other than key chains and redbull t-shirts lol I did almost buy their mud flaps, but ended up going with rally armor since they were way easier to order via a vendor I already know.

Funny you mention the triple R lamps and mocking something up myself, that's exactly the route I'm going. Planning on ordering a couple of Triple R 750s, a 4-light harness and some universal light mounts, which is what I used on my light bar. I like having the dzus mounts since it's pretty ridiculous having these lights mounted all the time and it allows me to put them on/off very easily.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I didn't realize they sold anything else other than key chains and redbull t-shirts lol I did almost buy their mud flaps, but ended up going with rally armor since they were way easier to order via a vendor I already know.

Funny you mention the triple R lamps and mocking something up myself, that's exactly the route I'm going. Planning on ordering a couple of Triple R 750s, a 4-light harness and some universal light mounts, which is what I used on my light bar. I like having the dzus mounts since it's pretty ridiculous having these lights mounted all the time and it allows me to put them on/off very easily.
Yeah, they'll sell you almost anything they put on their cars. You can buy aero kits, I was trying to buy gravel coils they used in the recce from them but they passed me off to Reiger. You could probably buy everything needed to convert a Fiesta into an R5. You'd just have to email.

The ones they have on the recce are fairly easy to remove, I'm told. They just screw in to the bumper and are easily detached. Lots of photos of their recce cars running sans Lazers but with the mounting holes visible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqLS2PfXQAA_6xJ?format=jpg&name=large

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Yeah, they'll sell you almost anything they put on their cars. You can buy aero kits, I was trying to buy gravel coils they used in the recce from them but they passed me off to Reiger. You could probably buy everything needed to convert a Fiesta into an R5. You'd just have to email.

The ones they have on the recce are fairly easy to remove, I'm told. They just screw in to the bumper and are easily detached. Lots of photos of their recce cars running sans Lazers but with the mounting holes visible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqLS2PfXQAA_6xJ?format=jpg&name=large
Ya, they are the main supplier for most of the Fiesta rallycar stuff. I have a buddy who ran a Fiesta "R2" equivalent rally car locally and has bought a number of parts from them. They do in fact sell a kit to convert a standard Fiesta into an R2, but not sure about an R5.

Boy, thos mounting holes look super rough haha, no way I can bring myself to do that. I'll stick with the dzus fasteners and just keep drilling holes into my wrecker hood lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ya, they are the main supplier for most of the Fiesta rallycar stuff. I have a buddy who ran a Fiesta "R2" equivalent rally car locally and has bought a number of parts from them. They do in fact sell a kit to convert a standard Fiesta into an R2, but not sure about an R5.

Boy, thos mounting holes look super rough haha, no way I can bring myself to do that. I'll stick with the dzus fasteners and just keep drilling holes into my wrecker hood lol

View attachment 341392
I would not have pulled the trigger if I didn't decide to buy a new bumper. Lol. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a crap shoot.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts