Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Figured I'd share this here since it might be relevant to some.

I recently got an email from rally innovations about their light plate set-up for baja designs lamps and that its finally making production. Unfortunately, it only comes as part of their "R4S platinum" package based on their SEMA build, which comes with diffusers, side skirts, etc for a whopping $3.5k! (with a $1k pre order).

https://www.rallyinnovations.com/collections/focusr4s/products/focus-r4s-platinum-package

I replied to them the availability of the light plate as stand-alone part but no word still. Too little too late for me obviously, since I already went full rallytard lol

Update: Got a reply. They are waiting on feed back and demand on the aforementioned packages before deciding on selling the pieces individually. Seems like an @$$ backwards way of doing it, but maybe there is some economy going on in the background to get these made.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I like their wheel diverters too!

Wonder if their front splitter includes any sort of reinforcement of the front undertray and bumper mounting!

Definitely out of my range but it seems like a very cool package! Hope they sell individual pieces some day as you enquired about!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I like their wheel diverters too!

Wonder if their front splitter includes any sort of reinforcement of the front undertray and bumper mounting!

Definitely out of my range but it seems like a very cool package! Hope they sell individual pieces some day as you enquired about!
See update above

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Got an update regarding the Rally Innovations light plate: It looks like they either got enough funding or enough interest to warrant a run of the light plate, so they are now available for pre-order here

$800 seems a bit steep for my taste though...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got an update regarding the Rally Innovations light plate: It looks like they either got enough funding or enough interest to warrant a run of the light plate, so they are now available for pre-order here

$800 seems a bit steep for my taste though...
They told me they would paint the aluminum sides Blue as well for an additional fee of $125.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Another solution for those looking for more light.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Another solution for those looking for more light.
I just pulled the trigger on these. I'll report back when I have something to report back.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Kinda confused....

It lists a pre order que for 15 Sep 19.
How much is the deposit they speak of, $799? or is that the total?
or is it $799 deposit of?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Would be interested in what you think. From the pics, it looked like the lights were a little too low and throws light below the sight line to be useful.
The add calls them fog/driving lights so the low mounting point makes sense in that role. I agree that it would not make much sense as rally lights, even though they are adjustable.

·
Registered
870 Posts

I got these installed before my trip to Tail of the Dragon. The install is incredibly easy; no drilling, cutting or splicing. All you need is a screwdriver and a T30 torx. A pushpin puller would also be helpful. I opted for the splitter so I'm running these with the factory fogs. Light output is significantly brighter than factory, but these are only fog lights. If you're looking to turn night into day rally style, these are not for you.

The 3D printed mounting brackets are flexible, but sturdy. I tested them very thoroughly on the twisty roads of the Smokey Mountains and they took everything I threw at them. I also traded a lot of messages with Aaron, the seller. He is a PE Mechanical Engineer and fellow RS owner. He has also tested them extensively before offering them up for sale.
EDIT FOR PIC:

·
Registered
23 Posts
just paid for my Rally Innovations light plate. had one on my ST with 2 squadron pros and 2 squadron sports. will be doing the same setup on the RS, spliced into my brights. hasn't gone into production yet(allegedly they are waiting for one more person to pay their invoice), so it will probably be a couple months before i receive it. I'll be sure to post pictures when i receive it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kinda confused....

It lists a pre order que for 15 Sep 19.
How much is the deposit they speak of, $799? or is that the total?
or is it $799 deposit of?
I believe $799 is the total for the light plate and 4 squadron sport lights. not including shipping or tax

·
Registered
23 Posts
FINALLY got my Rally Innovations light plate/light mount this past week. Took a good long while, although I expected it and was prepared to wait. Standard Rally Inno fare, their product is somewhat overpriced in my opinion, but no one else is doing anything like it so I'm okay with having to pay a premium. Especially on this RS light plate, I believe they only made 10 total, and they have to make money off it. Will be installing sometime during Christmas week, via the same method as I did with my RI light plate on my ST(splicing into the brights). I saved my 4 Baja Designs Squadrons when I sold the ST(2 sports and 2 pros), and bought Baja Designs own splice harness. Probably won't take pictures of the whole install, it's pretty straightforward anyway. I will post pictures of the end product, and give my impression of the fit.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Finished my light bar fit out now to my Australian RHD RS. Thought you may be interested. My aim with the car in general is to set up the most competent car I can and keep it as discrete as possible. Hence metallic gray. For the lights I wanted the max output I could get while being discrete.

I did a lot of research on light bars looking for the best. Decided on Lazar Australia. Kirk Marks was incredibly knowledgeable and a great help. I highly recommend them. The result I came up with was a Lazer linear 18 elite light bar, which is right up there in quality and cost (not surprising). It is 532mm wide and 40mm high. 12,150 lumens and 1 lux to 488m.

When I researched lighting heights I got a surprise. I always thought that almost in eyeline best but not so. Recommended height is either lower or higher as it minimises direct glare. Where I mounted it is pretty much the optimum height. Just needs to be above 22cm. To connect it I needed a canm8 interface and a switch so it was linked to high beam and could be disabled. All good for Australian regulation.

This is the mounting position. Very discrete and recessed. Dont mind the red wire, photo taken during install testing. There is no airflow through this section so it is not obstructive and there is great depth so mounting back not a problem.

Note the light end mounts come down from above the aperture. Doing it this way gets two layers of plastic and good strength. Do not mount from bottom of aperture as much weaker. When I came to mount the light I already had the whole front of so easy job. No idea of how hard it is if front not removed.

Detail of position.

I ran the cable to the passenger side of the car so it connected near to the existing wiring harness. Allows it to pivot in same dire tion when removing. Btw, watch out for headlight washer squirt things which poke through bumper. You have to remove covers before totally removing front, otherwise they can break, that is, the plastic lozenge shapes covering them. Guess how I know.

I forgot to photo the wiring run to the relay and where I mounted it next to the battery box. I'll put that in next post. Now to wire the Canm8 interface box. I put this in the under steering wheel trim as shown below.

Yo get this off by removing the trim at the end of the dashboard as shown below.

Remove the door rubber and, using trim removal tools pop out the end dashboard cover. Under here you will find a torx20 bolt which goes into the white nut thingy shown. Undo this first. Once done, use the trim tools to remove the under dash. It is clipped in at the top and sort of pivots on clips at the bottom. It can be safely pulled off.

Before doing any wiring ensure battery 12v disconnected. I find the battery box lid useful to stop the onnector from reconnecting, just put the lid upside down and the connector in it.

I used double sided strong tape to stick the box on. I ran cables to the switch, who h is in a convenient position. Dont forget to put a connector in switch line so the whole part can be removed. The swith takes the 12v relay signal from the canbus canm8 and connects it to the wire going to the relay.

Once you have this access it is easy to move the obd2 connector so you can work on it. Unclog and move it to the main underdash aperture. Unwrap the wiring. Use standard obd2 wiring diagram so red canm8 wire goes to pin 16 obd, black wire to pin 4 obd. Note the obd2 power has a 7.5 amp fuse so is p k as is.

Now need to connect to CAN HI and CAN low.THIS IS NOT STANDARD WIRING. DO NOT CONNECT TO PIN 6 AND 14. RS USES VENDOR SPECIFIC PINOUTS. CORRECT ONES ARE:

Connect white wire to obd2 socket pin 3, vendor CAN HI, and obd2 socket pin 11 vendor CAN Low. Run 12v switched from canm8 to cabin switch via connector, then have a length of wire from switch back from connector. I then taped the new loom alongside the existing headlight controller loom for a neat look.

Before taping up the obd2 connector I connected everything back again and powered up. If it is working then the canm8 shows a steady green light. Use a multimeter or light to check the 12v relay line is switching.

Once finished next problem is firewall. I got an autoelectrician to do it. He went via a grommet behind the battery. Glad I didn't have to. Once done, it all worked.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Thought I should add a bit more for the complete story. Here is the wiring for the lights in the engine bay. As mentioned previously, I got an auto electrician to put the wire through the bulkhead. $135 Aus. Worth it.

The cable to the front assembly is on the rhs of the car looking forward. My cable, in black, has a connector hidden further forward so all wiring can be detached. The spot photographed is a good place to hide a few turns of cable. When removing front I intend to cut the wrap to give me more slack if I need it.

Cable run goes between battery and fuse box. I need to keep an eye on rubbing where it goes over the rail.

Detail of relay position a nd mount. There is a small space between the battery, fuse box, and firewall. Fits relay perfectly, which mounts to battery box. Ground is picked up from the rear fuse box mounting bolt. Power wire runs alongside main cable to battery plus.

So how does it go? I was struck by naturalness and evenness of light. Colour temperature matters to me as I hate the blue hid colours and want natural. Spread is excellent and even, no hot spots at all. As I was used to the old days of spots and spreads and steering the car to paint the road at night this felt different and a bit unusual. However, now it feels more like daylight driving without compromises of old.

Intensity was impressive given discrete size. I have not been able to get to my calibration valley where I have exact markers for range but at first assessment very good there too. Not like plain led light bars. I guess this technical excellence no surprise as other variants used on the Ford M-Sport World Rally Team Cars and also the winning 2019 Hyundai WRC Team.

For any aussies who want to do to this i can advise and give a hand if needed. I bought the
Iights from Lazer Lamps - Australia website: www.lazerlamps.com.au

Final assessment. PRO. Excellent, high quality discrete solution. I think it is best I can do going in this direction and it looks great. CONS, Expensive but only need one. Could get more light but then into the world of bonnet mounts and much more expense which would be overkill.

I'll do some night shots to show coverage but it will be a few months. I am now in hospital after foot fusion surgery so no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Sort of covid to the max, ah well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Rally Innovations light bar, and I have to say I'm sorta not impressed. So the lights mount to the lower plate, and then there is a piece that bolts on top that puts a plate on top of the lights, and the little uprights on the left and ride. I never thought it was a good look, I thought it looked kinda goofy and that it ruined the distinctive grill lines of the RS. I let it ride though, as I think the benefits of having the lights outweigh the cosmetic cons. When I got around to installing it, the upper portion I described above did not fit right at all. I decided to leave that piece off, and I actually think it looks much better that way. So overall I am satisfied, very much so. I am just unhappy with the fact that I spent so much money(~$400 on the light mount, sans lights), and that I ended up not using the biggest/likely most expensive piece to manufacture. I used the Baja Designs dual light harnesses(x 2), spliced into the brights, all the wiring hidden, nice and clean under the hood. Here are a couple crappy pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Rally Innovations light bar, and I have to say I'm sorta not impressed. So the lights mount to the lower plate, and then there is a piece that bolts on top that puts a plate on top of the lights, and the little uprights on the left and ride. I never thought it was a good look, I thought it looked kinda goofy and that it ruined the distinctive grill lines of the RS. I let it ride though, as I think the benefits of having the lights outweigh the cosmetic cons. When I got around to installing it, the upper portion I described above did not fit right at all. I decided to leave that piece off, and I actually think it looks much better that way. So overall I am satisfied, very much so. I am just unhappy with the fact that I spent so much money(~$400 on the light mount, sans lights), and that I ended up not using the biggest/likely most expensive piece to manufacture. I used the Baja Designs dual light harnesses(x 2), spliced into the brights, all the wiring hidden, nice and clean under the hood. Here are a couple crappy pictures
That's a shame, but I agree that your modification looks way cleaner. I was very interested in one back when they showed it at SEMA and one of the first things I requested is that it be made in black or the same finish as the front grill cover. I got excited when they said they were taking pre-orders, but when they mentioned it had to be as part of their "kit" I was out. Glad you got it sorted and looking good.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts