Ford Focus RS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Cool, enjoy the trip! I’m using the federals for my track day tire and am very happy with them. Wear is very reasonable (hoping to get 5-6 days) if you keep the pressures up, like 48-46 hot.

They are extremely loud, drowning out my stock exhaust when I have the fake noise unplugged. I hope they don’t get too annoying on your long drive...

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
@MorningZ , have fun and be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Where did you find the Federal’s for 470 shipped?
It's this listing.. I made a mistake, it was $489 not $470, but even so I see they've jacked up the price slightly

I had a listing saved that was $470 but I missed out on it

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's this listing.. I made a mistake, it was $489 not $470, but even so I see they've jacked up the price slightly

I had a listing saved that was $470 but I missed out on it
PM @romemedrano

He has a source that can get them shipped to you for around that price.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Back from my trip up to Blue Ridge and Tail of the Dragon, was a great week of driving!

The Federals took some getting used to and trust, they sure are noisy as heck when they are rolling, especially under aggressive driving. While they did stick well on the mountain roads, I wouldn't suggest them at all for daily use.

Started off with my second time on AutoTrain with the RS... last time I took it I had the stock undertray on, this time was more stressful because of the ADF Customs tray (which sits a little bit lower), but it got on and off the train fine

Met up with a set of friends along the Blue Ridge Parkway and we drove our cars and enjoyed the amazing sights that this road offers. I can't suggest this road enough, ESPECIALLY so going west from Asheville to the end at Cherokee NC.

Once to Deal's Gap, met up with the rest of my "group", which was a small tight group of 6... when we weren't at our cabin, we were in our separate vehicles and limited contact to outsiders

Had a fantastic Cherohala Skyway run, loved the Foothills Parkway drive again (the new section is so amazing), and of course drove the Dragon... I admit I'm tiring of that road in particular after going up that way 15 years in a row... it's fun a few times, but geez, we sat on the side of the road for a few hours and watched cars/bikes go by (Mile Marker 4 has a fantastic large pull off area with plenty of room for a few cars and some folding chairs). Some people apparently just like driving up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down... I must have seen the same NB RS drive by like 10 times in the 2 hours I sat there lol (among many other "repeats"). There are SO many other roads in the area that offer such great driving without the stress of being on the Dragon. Ah well, to each their own.

One day we rented a boat on Fontana Lake and enjoyed the weather for half the trip... the other half we got poured on, but was still fun... busted out my DJI drone a few times for pics.

The 10 hour drive home yesterday wasn't actually too bad except for some stoppage along I-75 just north of Macon, this really sucked, but still made it home in good time.

All in all, this trip was EXACTLY what I needed... it's really tough to be isolated at home all by yourself day in and day out for months at a time.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Looks like a great break and way to recharge. Driving blueridge is definitely on the bucket list. One of these days I'll find myself there and will try to take advantage.

One day we rented a boat on Fontana Lake and enjoyed the weather for half the trip... the other half we got poured on, but was still fun... busted out my DJI drone a few times for pics.
Which drone do you have? been wanting to get a mavic mini for the longest time but keep talking myself out of it ("you will use it about as much, if not less, than that gopro sitting in your desk drawer gathering dust..." lol)

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
I've got a Spark that I bought a few years ago, it is the perfect little drone to travel with.

I did find it tough to fly up there though, it kept complaining about being too high an elevation lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a fantastic Cherohala Skyway run, loved the Foothills Parkway drive again (the new section is so amazing), and of course drove the Dragon... I admit I'm tiring of that road in particular after going up that way 15 years in a row... it's fun a few times, but geez, we sat on the side of the road for a few hours and watched cars/bikes go by (Mile Marker 4 has a fantastic large pull off area with plenty of room for a few cars and some folding chairs). Some people apparently just like driving up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down... I must have seen the same NB RS drive by like 10 times in the 2 hours I sat there lol (among many other "repeats"). There are SO many other roads in the area that offer such great driving without the stress of being on the Dragon. Ah well, to each their own.
Was that you there on Saturday, the 25th? I was driving the NB RS with the tow hook installed. There was another NB RS there, too, which I think ran his fogs most of the time. The Cherohala Skyway is an amazing drive. Glad you had fun!

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #449 (Edited)
Was that you there on Saturday, the 25th? I was driving the NB RS with the tow hook installed. There was another NB RS there, too, which I think ran his fogs most of the time
That was indeed me sitting on the side of the road with my friends... the two different NBs explains things, I thought it was just one going around in a crazy Tail of the Dragon loop lol.. I admit I wasn't paying all too much attention, this is one of the super few times we had more than 5 of us together in one spot

·
Registered
28 Posts
btw @riceman if you are going through Killboy or 129 Photos and see any super nice pics of my car, point me to them! It's so much time to go through them all
That was my twin. :D I have GA plates.

Your pics on Killboy photos start on page 4 - I like this one Powerhead Productions - killboy.com at PhotoReflect.com - Dragon Photos - Sat - July 25, 2020 -killboy.com and Powerhead Productions - killboy.com at PhotoReflect.com - Dragon Photos - Sat - July 25, 2020 -killboy.com

There are a bunch of good ones on page 21: Photos

I haven't been to 129 Photos yet, but I'll message you when I do.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That was my twin. :D I have GA plates.

Your pics on Killboy photos start on page 4 - I like this one Powerhead Productions - killboy.com at PhotoReflect.com - Dragon Photos - Sat - July 25, 2020 -killboy.com and Powerhead Productions - killboy.com at PhotoReflect.com - Dragon Photos - Sat - July 25, 2020 -killboy.com

There are a bunch of good ones on page 21: Photos

I haven't been to 129 Photos yet, but I'll message you when I do.
Wait... So these guys just camp out on the side of the road and take pictures of all the cars driving by??? That's pretty rad!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Stephen, how long did it take you to get there?

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Wait... So these guys just camp out on the side of the road and take pictures of all the cars driving by??? That's pretty rad!
Yup! They set up tents with their company name on a big old banner and sit there and photograph every car going by. Then you find the day and go through the sea of pictures and see what you like and buy them. There were only two companies on the road this year, but geez, like 10 years ago their used to be 5-6 different ones.

Stephen, how long did it take you to get there?
Takes me a solid 10 hours to get to the Dragon from here outside Daytona Beach.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Not bad for you.... that'll be at least 2 days for me. Looks very fun though... might be fun enough to take the trip. 👍

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #457 (Edited)
In Team-Integra's hay day we used to have a couple of people make the drive from California (although, one kind of cheats lol, he works for Edmunds.com and "reviewed" a big truck in their pool and towed his Integra there), there have been two instances of people driving down from Seattle.

2009 was the height of this yearly event people/car wise, it was SO stressful for me planning things, so I enjoy myself much more since then as the group has been dwindling in numbers and everyone that goes at this point have gone many times and know the drill/area. An easy way to drive me crazy is to waste my time, and when there are 80-90 people it increases the chances of people being late or left behind plus the constant questions of "where is dinner" "what time is this?" "where is that?". All that stuff is gone at this point thankfully :)

We've done some pretty dumb/silly sh-t over the years there, all in the name of fun though!

One year a few people brought big wheels and we took turns going down a stretch of the Dragon, it was a blast!

I'm in my mid 40's at this point and last week was 15 years of me being there, my favorite part of it all has been seeing all these guys grow up into great people.. I talk to most of the group a lot in any given week.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
ROFL on the last pics!!!!

Definitely looks fun!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When you say the tires are loud, do you mean road noise such as roaring on highway? Or tire squeal in corners

441 - 460 of 487 Posts