Ford Focus RS Forum banner

321 - 326 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
So I've been running Project Kics R40 Iconix since April 2017 with my TE37s. These are open ended, but I've had plastic caps on them from the beginning. Well... at least on most of them. Apparently, over the years some of these caps have gone missing, most likely having fallen out. So 28K miles later, and my studs look like this:

Not a fan of the rust... I'm probably going to hit them with a wire brush wheel drill attachment to get the rust off. Being in SoCal, I wouldn't think rust would be a problem. I don't even drive my RS in the rain. The only water she sees is when I wash her. I'm thinking the water is still getting past the threads between the plastic caps and the top of the lugnut (probably because I also use a pressure washer). So I'm contemplating getting another set and using teflon tape, or some sort of thread sealant on the cap threads, since I never intend to remove them anyways. Hopefully, that will keep the moisture out as much as a completely closed design would.

QUESTION: Would it be safe to use a wire brush wheel to clean this rust off the stud threads? Or should I go with a more "chemical" approach like baking soda or white vinegar?

PS. I know some of you may be thinking, why not go with a closed design lugnut? I prefer the floating/rotating seat design for my TE37s. The only closed ones I could find that "meet" this criteria are the McGards spline ones, but for some reason the locks don't have the rotating seats...

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
I used to have Project Kicks Neo Chromes on my Evo IX.

I can't use the caps I had because I have ARP extended studs, and I hated the rust.

I used the nylon wire brush and someone suggested to use diaelectric greese to avoid the rust in the future......... or was it anti-seize. 🤔

·
Registered
186 Posts
Guys be super careful with aftermarket lugs. People keep mentioning this in the thread but everyone ignores. Our stock wheels need a lug with a pretty large seat. Many aftermarket lugs have a seat half the size. Here is a comparison with the popular mutekis. I finally found some gorillas with the stock seat size. These are the aluminum version, not cheap but better to be safe.

I have the acorn bulge gorilla lug nuts, looking to get some 15 mm spacers. What lug nuts do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have the acorn bulge gorilla lug nuts, looking to get some 15 mm spacers. What lug nuts do you recommend? Thanks.
You don't need different lugs if you have spacers. If you have determined the lugs are safe without spacers, then you should you be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
You don't need different lugs if you have spacers. If you have determined the lugs are safe without spacers, then you should you be fine.

I think its what type of wheels you have that dictates the lugnuts you get, not whether or not you have spacers right?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I think its what type of wheels you have that dictates the lugnuts you get, not whether or not you have spacers right?
Correct, stock needs a large seat

321 - 326 of 326 Posts