Ford Focus RS Forum banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What are you guys torquing your aftermarket lug nuts to ? 100 ft lb per manual ?

I’ve read some aftermarket lugs have a lower max torque like the Rays Work 17 lug nuts ... what to do ?
For me, it would be hard to go anything less than stock. If a lug nut wasn't up to the task i would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What are you guys torquing your aftermarket lug nuts to ? 100 ft lb per manual ?

I’ve read some aftermarket lugs have a lower max torque like the Rays Work 17 lug nuts ... what to do ?
I use Rays Duralumin nuts which have a max torque of 86 lb ft and that is what I use. A bit of research and you'll find that 100 lb ft is unusually high for a wheel nut. For example, VW spec 120Nm = 89 lb ft. I am fine with 86 lb ft for the road, and don't want to risk stripping the nuts by exceeding 86. After 15,000km of hard road use they've been fine despite removal several times for rotation, brake replacement etc. I check the torque before a big run and they're always correct. FWIW the local distributor said Rays Duralumin are even OK for track use (see below).

The Rays nuts you mention appear to be steel, and probably have a higher max torque allowed. I had to translate the Japanese on the package to find the specs - take a photo and use Google translate.

Having said that, for track use I would use steel nuts (e.g. the OEM nuts if they are not trashed) and go up to 100 lb ft as a precaution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Alpha Dog.

I noticed the same thing the VW Golf R ones are 120nm but may because they are a little bigger m14 Vs m12 ... and they are a bolt style vs ****ty acorn nut style - not sure.

135 nm does sound like a heck of a lot of tq when compared to others though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ford has 100 lb ft. recommended for most of the recent Focuses, not just the RS. We have an older Mazda and the recommendation is 85 lb ft., however on our newer Mazda 3 the recommended torque is 80-108 lb ft. So I guess 100 is not that big of an issue anymore and some manufacturers are way more liberal with the ranges they give for torque...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think I bought the work lugs and was surprised they said, "for aftermarket wheels only" on the packaging. I know, if there was a choice, I would not have chosen aftermarket.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

301 - 307 of 307 Posts