Ford Focus RS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Acorn bulge it the wider seat on left, acorn is on right. Both have 60 degree conical seat. If you are buying for aftermarket wheels you probably want acorn, but for OEMs you want acorn bulge because the acorns concentrate the clamping force over too small a surface area.

I think Gorilla uses the term acorn bulge. Some other brands call it acorn flare I think. I think McGard is a great brand, I don’t care what brand you get.
Makes sense now, good info! I’ll be using these for aftermarket wheels, so the regular acorn is what I’ll be going with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Anyone got a solid 1/2 drive deep socket the recommend? My torque wrench is 1/2in and I really don’t wanna buy another just for lugs. Quick google didn’t show any 12/in drive to 19mm or 3/4inch sockets for taking the lugs off. Stock lugs
Follow up to that^ does anyone who already has a set of gorilla know what’s size socket they need?

·
Registered
703 Posts
And any thoughts in titanium compared to steel? Daily use.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I got my McGard nuts and locks installed today. Great quality and fit perfectly to the forged OEM wheels and to my 19mm no-mar Koken wheel sockets.

This is the part number (#84538) for the black chrome set with 16 nuts and 5 locks:
View attachment 321090

This is how they look installed:
View attachment 321092
how did these hold up for you long term?

·
Registered
703 Posts
McGards lugs. Can't believe changing the chrome to these black ones would make such a difference! Love them. Hope they last:

how did these hold up over time?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know everyone is going for aftermarket lug nuts. However, does anyone know what the OEM lug nut part number is for the RS?

·
Registered
61 Posts
how did these hold up for you long term?
They are holding up fine. Have been having problems with wheel balancing after changing tires and a brake service. They've seen at least 4 wheel change cycles at 4 different places with who knows how good suckets and pneumatic pistols and they look like new.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are swollen oem lug nuts still a thing? I recently got a 2018 and wanted to know if I needed to swap out the oem lugs...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are swollen oem lug nuts still a thing? I recently got a 2018 and wanted to know if I needed to swap out the oem lugs...
Better off just not using the OEM lugs. I’d rather be safe than sorry

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm definitely going to swap them for these

)

But I was curious if Ford changed the lugs after the lawsuit or if they are still the faulty ones...
That I don’t know the answer to but I assume the 2018 has the same ****ty lug nuts as my 2017. I’ve had a couple get crunched but luckily none have ever gotten stuck.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
My girlfriend’s Focus SE is almost 7 years old now and has used the stock lugnuts from new (including 7 winters so far) and they are still as good as new.

But they have never been torqued with an impact gun as she has a second set of wheels and I took care of every single seasonal change. Might have seen an impact gun only 3 times everytime they changed the clutch on the Powershift piece of crap transmission!

I guess that helps or we got lucky! My RS didnt come with the stock nuts (second owner) so I’ll never have to deal with it on the RS!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My girlfriend’s Focus SE is almost 7 years old now and has used the stock lugnuts from new (including 7 winters so far) and they are still as good as new.

But they have never been torqued with an impact gun as she has a second set of wheels and I took care of every single seasonal change. Might have seen an impact gun only 3 times everytime they changed the clutch on the Powershift piece of crap transmission!

I guess that helps or we got lucky! My RS didnt come with the stock nuts (second owner) so I’ll never have to deal with it on the RS!
Mine definitely got crunched from an impact at the dealership. I was taking the lugs off one day and could barely get the lug wrench on about 3 of them cause they were warped. Never used them since. Plus, aftermarket lugs can be pretty cheap

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Mine definitely got crunched from an impact at the dealership. I was taking the lugs off one day and could barely get the lug wrench on about 3 of them cause they were warped. Never used them since. Plus, aftermarket lugs can be pretty cheap

Stock ones are expensive too! I asked the parts department when I got my RS and they were like 6$cad each! Ended up buying some black Gorilla nuts instead for about half the cost. Kept the aftermarket ones that came with the car for winter duty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stock ones are expensive too! I asked the parts department when I got my RS and they were like 6$cad each! Ended up buying some black Gorilla nuts instead for about half the cost. Kept the aftermarket ones that came with the car for winter duty.
Yup, they are! I had to buy a couple also and then realized they were so terrible lol so now I have a nice aftermarket set for summer and a crappy aftermarket set for winter. Still better than OEM!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Way back a few pages I saw this link:

Just replaced the OEM ones with the black set (going to get the chrome when the winter wheels go back on). These had the correct seat like the OEM lugs but not made of the crap outer metal the OEM lugs have. Really happy for someone not looking to save a minuscule bit of weight with aluminum. Put a bit of paper towel inside the socket so I didn't scratch em. Black finish matches the finish on the wheels really well. Also their customer service was really great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What are you guys torquing your aftermarket lug nuts to ? 100 ft lb per manual ?

I’ve read some aftermarket lugs have a lower max torque like the Rays Work 17 lug nuts ... what to do ?

281 - 300 of 307 Posts