Ford Focus RS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Is there a forged gorilla that doesn’t stick out like the Gorilla Automotive 45138BC-20 Black 12mm x 1.50 ones do?

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like these perhaps?

Here’s a bunch of options for Gorilla, just make sure you look at the 12x1.5. Personally, I will be going with the open ended ones you described. They won’t stick out much, if at all, on the type of aftermarket wheels I have. It’s preference when it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here’s a bunch of options for Gorilla, just make sure you look at the 12x1.5. Personally, I will be going with the open ended ones you described. They won’t stick out much, if at all, on the type of aftermarket wheels I have. It’s preference when it comes to that.

so as long as its 12x1.5 itll fit right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
so as long as its 12x1.5 itll fit right?

Depends on the diameter of the wheel hole as some lugs will be thicker/thinner than others, but I don’t see you having any issues with the link you previously provided. It seems like it’s more of an aesthetic thing at this point. Whether you like the shorter or longer ones. I wouldn’t put too much thought into it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Depends on the diameter of the wheel hole as some lugs will be thicker/thinner than others, but I don’t see you having any issues with the link you previously provided. It seems like it’s more of an aesthetic thing at this point. Whether you like the shorter or longer ones. I wouldn’t put too much thought into it.

I’ll probably wait until my Hyper GTs get here and see how big the hole on them is then. Don’t wanna get something to small. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Guys be super careful with aftermarket lugs. People keep mentioning this in the thread but everyone ignores. Our stock wheels need a lug with a pretty large seat. Many aftermarket lugs have a seat half the size. Here is a comparison with the popular mutekis. I finally found some gorillas with the stock seat size. These are the aluminum version, not cheap but better to be safe.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Guys be super careful with aftermarket lugs. People keep mentioning this in the thread but everyone ignores. Our stock wheels need a lug with a pretty large seat. Many aftermarket lugs have a seat half the size. Here is a comparison with the popular mutekis. I finally found some gorillas with the stock seat size. These are the aluminum version, not cheap but better to be safe.

Which gorilla did you go with? Do they list the seat size in the descriptions anywhere?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts

And are you just using those with the stock forged wheels?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
And are you just using those with the stock forged wheels?
Yes, forged wheels. It's the same size as those gorillas I posted. I don't recall off hand, but all the stats are on the website.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thanks! I’ve been looking at similar gorilla lugs but the steel ones rather than the aluminum ones. But yes, the OEM lugs have an acorn shaped seat which is ideal I’d say.

OEM is a 60 degree seat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also important to get what Gorilla calls “Acorn Bulge” instead of regular Acorn. I wanted cheap OEM replacements so I got these for $23 a set.

Could you maybe tell us what the difference is between acorn and acorn buldge? I was looking at the rally sport direct website and all I could find is the acorn version. Wouldn’t mind just getting the ones from your link but I’m not too sure about buying them from Amazon as someone mentioned earlier in this thread about bad quality eBay parts. (Yes I know amazon is different lol)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could you maybe tell us what the difference is between acorn and acorn buldge? I was looking at the rally sport direct website and all I could find is the acorn version. Wouldn’t mind just getting the ones from your link but I’m not too sure about buying them from Amazon as someone mentioned earlier in this thread about bad quality eBay parts. (Yes I know amazon is different lol)
I’m not sure what the “acorn bulge” is either. I’ve never seen that. I’m just going to go with the gorilla open ended 60° acorn seat.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also important to get what Gorilla calls “Acorn Bulge” instead of regular Acorn. I wanted cheap OEM replacements so I got these for $23 a set.

[/URL]
Also in your opinion from some of the lugs mentioned on this thread, are there another set you’d consider? I like the McGards. Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Acorn bulge it the wider seat on left, acorn is on right. Both have 60 degree conical seat. If you are buying for aftermarket wheels you probably want acorn, but for OEMs you want acorn bulge because the acorns concentrate the clamping force over too small a surface area.

I think Gorilla uses the term acorn bulge. Some other brands call it acorn flare I think. I think McGard is a great brand, I don’t care what brand you get.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’m not sure what the “acorn bulge” is either. I’ve never seen that. I’m just going to go with the gorilla open ended 60° acorn seat.

Acorn bulge it the wider seat on left, acorn is on right. Both have 60 degree conical seat. If you are buying for aftermarket wheels you probably want acorn, but for OEMs you want acorn bulge because the acorns concentrate the clamping force over too small a surface area.

I think Gorilla uses the term acorn bulge. Some other brands call it acorn flare I think. I think McGard is a great brand, I don’t care what brand you get.
Did you do a 4 pack and keep your OEM lock nut or do a 5 pack and toss the lock nut?

261 - 280 of 307 Posts