Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Chief_ST's Path to a Killer Daily Driver | 2016 Stealth Grey RS1

21K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  Chief_ST 
#1 · (Edited)
Chief_ST | 2016 Stealth Grey Focus RS1

I am writing this build log as a place for myself and other members to keep up with my passion of modifying and doing install. Also as a place to track the progress of my car through time.

I live in southwest portion of the Kansas City metropolitan area with my wife, 2 daughters, 1 son & our dog. I have no desire to RallyX, Drag, Auto X, or even drive like a moron on the street, I don't know why I mod my car, I guess because it's fun and I like to know that I can go fast and look great too. The closest 93 Octane and E85 station are not convenient, there is really only 1 speed shop around as well. Basically, I have the internet, a UPS account and passion for cars.

The rundown on the car, I previously had a 2014 Focus ST ST3 that was bone stock with 24k on it. I bought the car in March of 2017. Had I known more about the platform and how the car worked, I would have opted for an RS then. I learned over time that the RS is what I wanted. On December 9th, I traded my ST for a gently used 2016 Stealth Grey RS, RS1, no sunroof but does have the Forged Wheels and Cup 2 tires. The dealership didn't want me to take delivery of the car with the Cup 2s during winters so the installed Continental DWS06s free of charge and loaded the Cup 2s in the rear. The RS was priced at $29,999 for a real quick sale and only had 7400 miles on it. Tax, titles, fees etc. I was out of there under ~$35,000.

The 1st post will always be updated with a current mods list and sometimes current pictures.

Here are the modifications, some will be functional some will not be.

I have a few power mods are left overs from my ST that were never installed as my ST was stock.

Engine & Performance:
-AEM Dry Flow Filter
-SCT X4
-Unleashed Tuning 91 Octane Performance Tune

Exterior:
-De-Badged the trunk
-Mitchell Auto Lamps Yellow Fogs

Wheels & Tires:
Summer:
-Forged Wheels
-Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2s

Winter
-Forged Wheels
-Continental DWS06

Brakes:
None

Suspension:
None

Interior:
None

Maintenance:
Basic Ford OEM for the time being

Miscellaneous
-PCM / BCM Update
-Sync 3 Update

Dyno Day April 21, 2018

See less See more
1 7
#6 ·
Awesome, glad to have you along.

1st actual “mod” I bought for the RS came in the mail on Monday. A set of RockBlokz mud flaps in black with the black RB logo. After the first time in winter weather with the RS I noticed a lot of road salt and grime on the sides and back of the car. I’m hoping the RockBlokz will eliminate that. Install to come later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Congratulations Chief! Use it in good health and good fun! Your collage of cars made me miss my 2012 STI hatchback that was modded. I know if Subaru still made hatchback STI would have been tempted to look at one instead of my 2017 RS. However wanted something little different out of the box.

#11 ·
I’ll definitely have fun. For me even if Subaru made the newer ones in a hatch I wouldn’t buy it. The motor is going on 15 years old for the STI and the FA20s are blowing a dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Minor Update:

So I do with every performance car I have owned, just like I am with the RS. Before I purchase any real parts aside from quick personal preference items, i.e. mudflaps, all weather mats etc. I sit down and think of the goals for my car, what I want to do and what I want it to look like. From there I create a build list using excel and research all parts I could possibly want, noting the part, part number, color, best price I could find so on and so forth. It does get tricky and the document changes many times but it ensures I buy the correct part for me each time instead of wasting money. I know it sounds kinda nerdy but oh well, the document does get daunting though when the totals get added up, especially when my wife ask to see the spreadsheet for present gifting purposes. I finally have an idea of how I want the car to look and parts have started flowing on the spread sheet.

Goal: Put a smile on my face each time I drive, and keep me happy with the looks and feel

Simple power mods: Filter, plugs, intercooler, piping, wastegate, bpv, down pipe. Yes I am planning on keep the stock exhaust. Might consider and E30 tune if the local gas stations can start carrying it. The closest is like 15 min away and inconvenient.

Handling/ Feel: Keeping the suspension and drive-ablilty to be very comfortable and streetable. Springs, GC camber plates, sways, endlinks and upgraded bushings from power flex all around, shifter bushings and short shifter, obviously

Looks:I want the car to be very subtle, not look like it belongs in a fast and furious movie.

These are just my general synopsis of how my RS will be.

#15 ·
Makes sense. You'll love the E30 tune if you go that route. If you use some ethanol conditioner, like Lucas Oil makes, you can get a couple 5-gallon jugs and have them stay pretty fresh over a few months. 10 gallons is just about right for blending up 3 full tanks of E30.

Jim

#19 ·
Was relieved to finally see the TSB for the head gasket was released. I have called my preferred dealership and set up an appointment. Once the care is back, I will flash the SCT with the few other items! :chuncky:

#22 ·
I'll be following this daily driver build. It sounds like a good road to go down. I have 0 plans right now for mine, unless Husky weather mats count as 1st mod. Nice previous list and picture of prior cars. If you need a hand and since I am new to the RS, PM me sometime as I am just north of you in Olathe. I also vaguely remember going to a gas station before getting the RS that may have had 93 oct near me. I'll have to check it out again and if I am right, it's just like 10-15 minutes from Gardner.:driving:
-Joe

#25 ·
I received in the mail last night my fog lights from @Intervention302, great lights, quality price as well. Im excited to put them on along with my Rokblokz Flaps. If I can get some decent weather this Sunday I may knock them both out, along with a damn wash of the RS.

#28 ·
My RS was dropped off at my preferred dealer this morning for the head gasket TSB, Zeck Ford in Leavenworth, KS. They got me in a 2018 F-150 XLT loaner, quite nice of a truck but little different compared to the RS. They have called to update me already that they were going to start pressure testing this afternoon and that they should have the car till next weeks end, Friday or Saturday pick up. Zeck Ford is about 45 min from me in the Northwest part of the KC Metro area. There is closer dealerships but I trust Zeck and I trust their work, so it was a no brainer for me to take it there.

#32 ·
This weekend was pretty nice weather here in the KC area. I had a chance to get a pretty good detail in on the RS. Wash, clay bar, light polish, wax & seal. There is more I would like to do but it still winter here. Today, I installed the AEM filter which I can tell made a decent difference in the throttle response & went for a 93 octane fill up. Also, I went for a mini photo shoot with my wife, more photos to come after editing is finished.

#41 ·
One of these days I'll run into to you at my gas station - gotta get that 93! Looks like your build is going nice. Nice pics too!

Crazy to see so many locals on here, and yet I never see any of you running around town! I assume you're all in the KC Facebook group as well?
Yeah, late January. Picked up a 2017 NB for a really good price over in KCMO. Couldn't turn it down, and it turns out it was an amazing decision. Trying to navigate some of these build threads to figure out what my plans look like.
I am also located in Olathe with a black 17 RS and have never seen one either. My wife saw a NB RS a little while back on K7. I have seen a few FoST's here and there now that I keep a look out.

-Joe

Reactions: Chief_ST
#33 ·
On Sunday I attempted my first photo shoot with a real camera and real editing software. The camera was my wives old Canon Rebel Ti1 500D, photos edited on Lightroom. I am very happy with the results and how the photos came out.

#49 ·
Yesterday was an amazing day for the RS. I went back and forth with Torrie McPhail from Unleashed Tuning on the tuning for my car. Around 4 pm we finally got the final tune loaded on the SCT X4 and flashed to the car. OH MY GOD, it is amazing and flat out hauls a**, especially for my only mod being an AEM filter. I can not say enough positive things about Torrie and Unleashed Tuning, he really transformed my car. We have a local dyno day coming up in April, I will see what number the RS makes then.

#50 ·
Torrie has a pretty good rep from the EB Mustang crowd. Looking forward to seeing how it compares. Do a baseline stock car pull, then your tune, so you can see the delta.

#60 · (Edited)
Some exciting new in our household, last night my wife joined the Focus community. We purchased a brand new 2017 Focus ST in Race Red with the ST2 package. She wanted to get away from a "mom car" and into something fun. The Race Red ST2 is what she wanted so we began working a deal, they made an offer that was impossible to refuse on top of what Ford's current incentives are. There seems to be a shortage of 2018 ST2s in the Kansas City area, she didnt want a base ST1 and ST3s are too over priced for what you get, aka used RS money. That is why we found and worked a deal on a left over 2017.

#61 ·
Been awhile since I updated my build thread. The past few weeks have been crazy, with kids birthday, spring cleaning, kids soccer starting for the 2 oldest etc. I am hoping to get some time this weekend to install my yellow fogs, Rokblokz flaps, intake hose & spark plugs. The weather isnt supposed to be the best however, the garage will stay dry and warm.

#63 ·
Awesome thank you for the link, I mean to have the saved to my favorites but must have deleted it. I want the Rokbloks on before I put wheel spacers and my Cup2s back on the forged wheels. I dont need any rock chips or road grime kicking up.

#64 ·
Well I didn't get a chance to install any parts. With my son's 1st birthday on Saturday afternoon and wanting to relax on Sunday I didn't make time. I did however go to Dyno Day with the local KC ST/RS group early Saturday morning. I was second in the shoot to go, hot damn was I happy with the results, three pull for $50 can beat that. Again my only mods on the car for this dyno was an AEM filter and 91 tune from Unleashed Tuning via the SCT X4. The only car that went before me was a bone stock RS that made decent power but for reference to my numbers, her's were: 279/331, 279/331, 283/335 on her three pulls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.