Ford Focus RS Forum banner
561 - 563 of 563 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Spent the past week or so reading through this entire thread and it's been a wild ride. Got confused until I read the last two pages and saw @sleepyS14 and @moonrider_99 posts. Haven't quite decided if I want to try for the UK OEM rack or piece together a Thule rack from UK parts. The OEM one looks pretty sleek and cheap/good quality is something I can get behind. Aesthically, I do like the look of the overhang bars with the fairing on the front though. Functionally, I want it primarily to handle my canoe (which is at the widest point is about 40") and maybe a ski/bike rack in the future. Can anyone confirm if the Ford UK OEM rack bars are at least 40" wide? Looking at the pictures of those who went with the overhang bars (that are 50"), it looks like it might be cutting it close.

For others curious, most of the early sources/part numbers/links don't work anymore, but the most recent few pages have some good info on the latest sources for the OEM and Thule P/N's. I checked the Thule Canada page, and they list a fit kit specifically for the RS as 5125. This is likely wrong - I checked the standard Focus fit kit from Thule Canada and it's the same P/N. Obviously they didn't get the memo about the RS having the alignment holes. As mentioned in previous posts, Thule UK indicates the updated FoRS fit kit should be 5089.
Thule dealers in Canada dont know about the RS specific fit kit. I go from memory here but I thought the specific brackets P/N was 1654 or something like that! But perhaps the P/N you listed are for the combination of footpacks and brackets…

If you go Thule get it from amazon uk as you mentioned, when I got mine it ended up being nearly half price in the end and all black (vs euro Ford bars which I believe are silver).

Depending on the bike racks you already have, with the bigger wing I was able to fit my forkmount racks to the extremities of the Thule bars which allow the mountain bikes rear tires to barely stay clear of the wing’s painted sides with the hartch fully opened. This might be another thing to consider depending on bike racks you may already own. And I could still fit a cargo box between the bike racks if I needed to.

Had the Rhino bars on my ST (the cut to size ones with no overhang) very similar to the euro Ford bars and definitely had less space to work with.

Anyways both kits seem equally good depending on your use and aesthetics preference! I changed from the Rhino bars to Thule just to use the additional pinholes to prevent roof rack movement (saw some on the ST…).

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Spent the past week or so reading through this entire thread and it's been a wild ride. Got confused until I read the last two pages and saw @sleepyS14 and @moonrider_99 posts as the part numbers and sources have changed a lot. Haven't quite decided if I want to try for the UK OEM rack or piece together a Thule rack from UK parts. The OEM one looks pretty sleek and cheap/good quality is something I can get behind. Aesthically, I do like the look of the overhang bars with the fairing on the front though. Functionally, I want it primarily to handle my canoe (which is at the widest point is about 40") and maybe a ski/bike rack in the future. Can anyone confirm if the Ford UK OEM rack bars are at least 40" wide? Comparing it with the pictures of those who went with the overhang bars (that are 50"), the Ford UK OEM rack looks like it might be cutting it close.

For others curious, most of the early sources/part numbers/links don't work anymore, but the most recent few pages have some good info on the latest sources for the OEM and Thule P/N's. I checked the Thule Canada page, and they list a fit kit specifically for the RS as 5125. This is likely wrong - I checked the standard Focus fit kit from Thule Canada and it's the same P/N. Obviously they didn't get the memo about the RS having the alignment holes. As mentioned in previous posts, Thule UK indicates the updated FoRS fit kit should be 5089.
Found my order on my amazon uk account if that helps at all.

Also showing pricing in £ including shipping and prepaid duty/taxes. I believe the £/cad exchange rate is better now then back then at least last time I checked which would make it en even better deal!

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Auto part Event Screenshot Bag

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue
22 Posts
Thanks for all the info, especially the pictures, that's awesome! I think the fit kit (141634) you're referring to is no longer available (Thule 141634 Roof Racks, Standard, 1634 Rapid Fitting Kit : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive). I believe it was replaced by the 145089. The feet and bars were also updated, but the ones you bought are still available for purchase. I wonder if the updated fit kit would work with those, or only the newer style feet?

I've never actually had a roof rack before, so I don't have any collection of accessories and I'm not very well-versed in what works with what. I've had the luxury of being able to borrow my Dad's F-150 when I need to haul the canoe or bikes or other cargo. But I'm looking forward to many future road trips with the RS and a roof rack should open up lots of possibilities. I've used blocks for the canoe on the truck, but being made of foam, and with the roof panel being so flexible, there's quite a bit of wiggle at 100km/h. I think having it on a roof rack with should help with the stability and my peace of mind.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Reactions: Barroux
561 - 563 of 563 Posts