Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I was wondering if the Thule roof rack kit for the standard Focus would work on the RS. Do any current ST owners have roof racks? What company did you use? Has anyone who has seen a US spec RS in person noticed holes in the roof tracks? I love my roof rack and use it quite a bit for bikes and skis and kayaks so I would hate to have to give that up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There is no difference in the roof lines. What works on any other Focus should work on the RS. It's just a Focus...

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
Right, same roof as far as we know as any other 5dr Focus. Not sure why its not on the options list yet, maybe they just want to actually fit one on a production car before saying it will fit.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
sadly all I have seen so far is the type that grabs onto the door headers. in the end, they always beat up the door gaskets and wear the paint by trapping road grit.
would be great if there was a better solution.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Ford accessories site sells the Thule roof rack for the regular and ST Focus, so I assume it would work on the RS as well.

What's interesting though is I saw a preproduction US spec RS yesterday and it had the wholes in the inner roof rails (inside the door opening) for a European style roof rack. All Euro Focii get them and I'm thinking the US RS' will get them too since they're built in Germany.

Here are some pics I posted earlier today in another thread: NB RS2 on display at the JDRF Raffle Thread

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, hopefully I can just get the Focus fit kit because the roof bars and accessories should be universal. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
The Ford accessories site sells the Thule roof rack for the regular and ST Focus, so I assume it would work on the RS as well.

What's interesting though is I saw a preproduction US spec RS yesterday and it had the wholes in the inner roof rails (inside the door opening) for a European style roof rack. All Euro Focii get them and I'm thinking the US RS' will get them too since they're built in Germany.

Here are some pics I posted earlier today in another thread: NB RS2 on display at the JDRF Raffle Thread

I have the same thing on my Golf -- Here is what the mounting instructions are for Thule. Looks the same. BUT when I looked at install for fit kits for Ford Focus, it does not have this part of the instructions -- Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 11.31.15 AM.png

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thule looked like the best option until I looked at Rhino-Rack. Their 2500 RS series fits the car without the bars extending beyond the feet. I think they are a little less expensive too. I would be interested in anyone's experience with the Rhino-Rack on the Focus.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe the rhino rack still uses legs that go into door trim :(
I think if the car doesn't have roof rails from the factory you have to use the door jam. I was looking at Macans before I went with the RS. You can get roof rails from the factory with the Macan. That is one of my disappointments with the RS. I'll get over it for $20,000. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

PS: I asked the dealer to let the powers that be know that this is a negative for the car. Heck, my 996 has pop-outs in the roof trim to mount a rack. I also asked the dealer to forward my displeasure about no shell seats for the US market. In addition, I couldn't get the block heater because Ford doesn't consider Idaho a cold weather state. Hello, we border Canada.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The only option that doesn't grab around the door rails would be a suction based mount like the Seasucker.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
FYI, the Euro rack has indents around the pins to account for the plug in the door frame (see pic). I do not think standard US fit kits will work correctly for the RS because of this. I'm sure it will still hold or you could move the feet inward a bit, but I want my rack to be perfect when I have a 40lb mtn bike on it.

I keep forgetting to call Yakima to see what they say.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FYI, the Euro rack has indents around the pins to account for the plug in the door frame (see pic). I do not think standard US fit kits will work correctly for the RS because of this. I'm sure it will still hold or you could move the feet inward a bit, but I want my rack to be perfect when I have a 40lb mtn bike on it.

I keep forgetting to call Yakima to see what they say.
Two questions:
1. Is that a Yakima Rack in the picture?
2. Do the US delivered cars have factory holes in the door jam for a rack?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The RS's do have the holes and grommets for the rack mounts, since they're really the Euro shell. See post #5 in this thread.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Two questions:
1. Is that a Yakima Rack in the picture?
2. Do the US delivered cars have factory holes in the door jam for a rack?
1. No. Pictured is the Euro Ford rack, which is manufactured by Thule.
2. Yes, as confirmed by members who have received their cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like Thule needs to get up to speed and start selling the Euro rack in the US. I wonder why the dealers aren't offering these as an accessory? My dealership has the Rhino-Racks on display. That's where I learned about them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does anyone have an exact model number of a roof-rack that we know will properly work with the euro-style focus door grommets?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only option that doesn't grab around the door rails would be a suction based mount like the Seasucker.
I just google searched this. I had never heard of seasucker roof racks before, but now I'm curious. It sounds too good to be true! I can't see any real disadvantages. Seems an ideal solution for those with a moonroof (if big enough). Some people even put them on the hatch(!)

Does anyone have any experience with these? What am I missing?

LINK: Product Website

LINK: Here's a review on a Focus ST.

1 - 20 of 509 Posts