Reflector, LEFTCM5Z-13A565-CTasca
1​
DotStar Digital LED Strip - Black 144 LED/m - 0.5 Meter
2328​
AdaFruit
2​
4 channel optocoupler that can handle up to 20V in and sends 5V outAmazon
1​
DC/DC buck converter that drops 14V input to 5V output and can handle 10 AmpsAmazon
1​
Arduino NanoAmazon
1​
Arduino Nano Extension board with I/O screw terminals (plug Arduino into it for easy to use screw terminals for hooking up)Amazon
1​
20 awg braided wire in several colorsAmazon
1​
16 awg stranded wire in assorted colors (for hooking up Converter and power to LED strips)Amazon
1​
Wire connectors JST SM style (assorted kits available to make your own plugs between devices, optional)Amazon
1​
Terminal crimping tool (for making connectors in line above)Amazon
1​
Curt Focus Trailer wiring harness kit (for easy connecting to tail lights without splicing)C56273eTrailer
1​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors / DTM06-4S (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1071-NDDigiKey
2​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors / DTM04-4P (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1081-NDDigiKey
2​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors / WM-4P (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1050-NDDigiKey
2​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors (VA) / 1060-20-0222 (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1147-1-NDDigiKey
8​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors (VA) / 1062-20-0222 (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1151-1-NDDigiKey
8​
TE Connectivity Deutsch ICT Connectors / WM-4S (for waterproof connection in bumper)1734-1051-NDDigiKey
2​
Heat shrink tubing assortmentAmazon
1​
J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive Syringe - Tan - 25 ml (for sealing and reinforcing wires in reflector)Amazon
1​
470 Ohm resistors (for RC Filters)Amazon
4​
330 Ohm resistorsAmazon
2​
47 uF Capacitorv(for RC Filters)Amazon
4​
1000 uF Capacitor rated at 6.3V or higherAmazon
4​
PCB breadboard (for soldering RC Filters to)Amazon
1​
Project Box (to fit everything in)Amazon
1​
Wire wrap roll (fabric to protect wires and get a clean look)Amazon
1​

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Here are some pictures of how I opened up the reflectors. Basically, there wasn't any easy way, so I used a soldering iron/plastic welder to make a groove and push aside some of the plastic (you'll want it to make re-sealing by re-melting it back together easier.) Then I used a Dremel with a thin plastic cutting wheel to carefully cut in the rest of the way. It's not easy or fast, so be very careful and take your time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Take the LED strips out of their supplied silicone sheath and remove ALL the silicone sealant sealing the wires into the sheath. You need it free of silicone to allow the epoxy to bond and seal the wires later.
Trim each LED strip down to 57 LEDs to fit lengthwise in the reflector.
The LED strips are just about 2mm too wide for the reflector, so you'll need to trim about 1mm off each side of the strips. You will be cutting into the copper on each side, no way around it, but be careful, take your time and it will still work fine if done right.
I bonded the LED strip to the reflector backing using 3M VHB tape. Then set the LED/reflector back into the clear reflector and clamp together.
Then start plastic welding the lenses back together and make sure you don't leave any holes. This takes forever, is tedious, and the vapors are not good for you. So again, there isn't an easy/fast way I could think of to do this.
Epoxy the wire exits from the housing to seal and support the wires. Again, no holes for water to get in!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Here are a couple final images of the RC Filter I ended up needing to add (can read about why earlier in the thread) and overall system consisting of 3 main pieces and a good place found to place them inside a project box in the trunk foam insert.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts