Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I linked the wrong one tbh BlueGhozt Smart LED Controller – Ghozt Lighting, this was what I meant to link. It handles addressable leds. This system is used by plenty retrofit pros, so if you want to re-invent the wheel, that's your choice. The + version also has 4 12v controllable relays also.
Yeah, that's a much more practical solution!

As for re-inventing the wheel, sometimes that's faster. I don't know how to program/configure that device, how flexible it is in terms of sequencing the way I want, etc. etc. etc. I have loads of ESP2866 microcontrollers, reels and reels of LED strips of all sorts, and could build a test bed and code up a prototype in an hour or two. I know it would take me more time than that just to start playing with the thing, and it has a separate dev env to program it.

I can reinvent that wheel faster than I can learn to use the existing one :cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, that's a much more practical solution!

As for re-inventing the wheel, sometimes that's faster. I don't know how to program/configure that device, how flexible it is in terms of sequencing the way I want, etc. etc. etc. I have loads of ESP8266 (corrected) microcontrollers, reels and reels of LED strips of all sorts, and could build a test bed and code up a prototype in an hour or two. I know it would take me more time than that just to start playing with the thing, and it has a separate dev env to program it.

I can reinvent that wheel faster than I can learn to use the existing one :cool:
That's really cool man, can't wait to see what you come up with!!!! I feel most can't or want less wiring to deal with and anyone with the google, youtube, and a smartphone can easily configure blueghozt and/or blueghozt+ they both work with a nice friendly smartphone app with a GUI for the configuration (especially for those who aren't coders like most here); https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blueghozt&pbjreload=101

·
Registered
125 Posts
@jefferysanders I have no doubt that's a good module, just personally I don't need it.

Another reason for the ESP8266 (thanks for the correction :)) is the built-in wifi. The Espruino operating system app are programmed in Javascript, and while I've done quite a bit of development on both Arduino and Espruino, the latter is my go-to moswt of the time because it's much simpler than the Arduino system. There is no compile-download step. Check out www.espruino.com

As for the ESP8266, I envision hacking up an Android Auto app that can control lighting connected to the 8266 through wifi. I've been thinking about doing some interior lighting similar to the accent lighting on the ST3 using this approach.

However, no one should limit their imagination to lighting... with an 8266 and an Android Auto app, integrating control of mods more cleanly with some work is poosible, For those on the RDU thread, imagine changing +12% of +25% or back to stock with steering wheel buttons and a nice visual interface on the big screen.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I soaked them for 3 hours in 91%. They didn't pop apart, but there was a small enough separation that I used to run a credit card between the gap along where the plastics meet. There is some clouding, but I'll clean that up with some rubbing compound. I bought mine new from Tasca along with a clutch pedal spring to have in case if I messed up mine when I threw in the Steeda spring.

I have one apart and those ebay adhesive LED strips fit in there perfectly. Some ebay/amazon links are in the rear fog thread for what I have used. This project is on the back burner until the guys and I in that thread can figure out how to get the Euro switch to run the fogs, but if you want turn signals or extra brake lights is super easy to do.

Going to try this now. Wish me luck lol. :coffee:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Going to try this now. Wish me luck lol. :coffee:
I should have updated my posts here. I don't think the IPA actually did anything, I'm pretty sure that they're bonded using ultrasonic waves not glue, or at least glue that wasn't affected by the IPA. I ended up separating the front and back by carefully wedging a credit card between the halves.

The next time I do this mod I will probably cut out the back and slide the LED strips in through the back. I bought an Arduino kit to try and learn how to do this black magic, so hopefully one day I'll have everything put together.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I should have updated my posts here. I don't think the IPA actually did anything, I'm pretty sure that they're bonded using ultrasonic waves not glue, or at least glue that wasn't affected by the IPA. I ended up separating the front and back by carefully wedging a credit card between the halves.

The next time I do this mod I will probably cut out the back and slide the LED strips in through the back. I bought an Arduino kit to try and learn how to do this black magic, so hopefully one day I'll have everything put together.
Thanks for the heads up! I am going to try some microfilament then to cut the welds, if not I can cut them open.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi all, I sincerely appreciate the interest in buying these, ready-made. At this time I have to give the request a hard maybe in the fall.

I've given the idea some actual thought and run a few numbers, looked at the component costs plus my time and the system would likely have to be north of $500 each. The single biggest factor is time; crimping connections, soldering, embedding the lights, verifying operation etc. to make something that will last and is easy to install. I've timed parts of making this and it is a surprising amount of time.

Being honest, as much as I would love a little extra income right now, it isn't a good time for me to take this on and I certainly don't want to take anyone's money without being able to deliver within a reasonable amount of time. If things change and I decide to go for it I'll likely gauge interest in the future on some kind of a group-buy with a threshold to keep cost reasonable.
Its fall, changed your mind? :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I also have all the parts, nothing changes in his vs my setup except the control method, type of led used, and one less wire to the leds. If you wanted to wire it up just replace the blueghozt (BlueGhozt Smart LED Controller – Ghozt Lighting) with all of the controller parts he listed. I am home this weekend hopefully I can get to this project. Getting into the reflectors is gonna be the pain in the ass part for sure.

I kinda just failed on 1 already lol. I tried just cutting one open, it's really hard without messing up the reflector part...I'm going to wait until I get a hot knife and another backup reflector and do like he suggested in page 1. or I might also trying cutting most of the way through with the Dremel then use a exacto knife the rest of the way.

This is not for those without extremely steady hands [email protected] is surgeon for his day job obviously(y) (there is like 1-2mm max between perfect and ****ed)!!!

I will also go ahead and finish the electronics part this tonight, so anyone else who wants can emulate that part at least. I think we are all on our own for the reflector mod/cutting anyway. I am pretty sure there aren't any changes; just swap out his control and the BG and then its software to deal with.

·
Registered
485 Posts
They are adafruit neo-pixels which have slightly inferior performance to Dotstars, but have less wiring involved and other benefits you can google about. (Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGBW LED Strip - Black PCB 144 LED/m) - (you don't need the waterproof version, it won't fit. I'm using those pre-sealed ends for another project that needs to be waterproofed) The BlueGhozt+ website and Youtube videos have all the instructions anyone will ever ever need, to make very creative setups...The only limit with this setup is the total LED available per side. The video above is just show mode and I might have had the LED set to the wrong wiring for that video, I will upload another tonight. Waiting on some JST connectors, so I can make it all look nice. I went with premium parts, but Ebay sells neo-pixel compatible led strips also, at a much cheaper cost per meter.

I picked this route over the other solution because the ghozt lighting creator gives you a very nice interface for configuration, lots of documentation, and the + version has metered 12v outputs which are also a huge bonus for any additional lights and accessories; e.g. EZPZ REAR FOG (It's as easy as +/- wiring to the fog lamp from the Blueghozt+) and light bars (might need a relay for the high current ones to be safe) This makes it easy to do whatever you want, including mod your taillights (which I am also doing).

I will create a new thread from here on out and leave this thread for continued development of the original creator's method. It will also be a starting point for others who want another option to DIY mod our lighting and share profiles for all. (show mode allows exports for sharing it looks like)

Thanks again to @Northish for being the surgeon he is and making this project a reality, even my botched lens job looks pretty good and will go back together I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
All I want to know are:

• is this available for order?
  • how much?
  • do you want my money or not?!

Reactions: OverkillYJ

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's very easy (like plug in a table lamp easy)...except the lens cutting part, I need to come up with a jig to make that happen in a quality-repeatable manner to make this re-producible with ease. If you want a kit that's plug and play, that can be done very easy, I could come up with a estimate later today if you want; or I may just sell the parts needed to make it work that aren't available for purchase on Amazon/elsewhere and just put up a affiliate links for you guys to use if you desire. I will also list the exact parts needed on my thread so it can be done on ones own time and budget as well; open-source for life.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I'd prefer plug and play.

Just let me know when!

Reactions: jefferysanders

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's very easy (like plug in a table lamp easy)...except the lens cutting part, I need to come up with a jig to make that happen in a quality-repeatable manner to make this a mass product. If you want a kit that's plug and play, that can be done very easy, I could come up with a estimate later today if you want; or I may just sell the parts needed to make it work that aren't available for purchase on Amazon/elsewhere and just put up a affiliate links for you guys to use if you desire. I will also list the exact parts needed on my thread so it can be done on ones own time and budget as well; open-source for life.
I have reflectors on order and can do that just fine, be happy to receive the rest!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have reflectors on order and can do that just fine, be happy to receive the rest!
Looking at the Blueghozt+ site they do discounts on mass orders, so I will get a group buy formed on the new thread as well if there is interest to do so. If I sent out the Blueghozt or Blueghozt + pre-wired with the trailer harness it would be 4 things to connect I believe + you would gain the trailer harness if you ever wanted to run a trailer (if you hooked that up per instructions, I am just using it to tap into the wires in a non-destructive way myself). Then just power from the fuse panel for the Blueghozt tapped via the described fuse in this thread and a ground, very simple.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Its fall, changed your mind? :)
I am waiting for this too
Haha - you guys set a reminder for fall? :p

Unexpectedly, work has picked up quite a bit for me overseas this fall so I'm not going to be able to provide any kits of this to folks I'm sad to say. It looks like there has been some work done by Mr. Sanders on a potentially simpler solution so that may be your best bet at this time if you want to buy something ready-made.

That said, IF anyone is brave enough to try making the Arduino based system I created I want to give an update that it has been working without issue since I got it going and survived even our 5,000mi road trip last month.

I'll post all the parts I ended up using in the final iteration in the next post. Many of the parts I used were from Amazon and the links have changed and a few were discontinued so I don't have direct links but I wrote in the key parameters where applicable so you can hopefully source the parts without too much Googling.

Lastly, I spent a ton of time on the code to get these to work (mostly because I am not a programmer) but I am willing to provide the Arduino code for free to anyone who wants to take this approach on and can send me a pic proving they are really doing this - sort of a reward for being bold and going for it.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts