Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the kind words and motivation all :) This is what a car community should be.

In other words, hoping this simple little assembly I made up will be the solution to all my problems. Maybe test install it all this weekend when it warms up here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:)
370 days later, this is the result I was hoping for:

This was going from zero Arduino, programming and electrical experience to the end state shown. Sticking with this project meant stretching my patience and being humbled more than a few times. I have far more respect for any electrical or programming engineers.

To be blunt this took a long time to put together. Even now that I know what I'm doing it still takes days to assemble the lights and the wiring harness, and do the install. I don't think I could sell something like this and come close to break-even on a remotely reasonable price. To be fair, I went a bit overboard with making sure everything used was OEM-like down to things like installing an additional fuse terminal instead of add-a-fuse, and fabric wire wrap, and sealed connectors.

If you ever want to get into Arduino or programming stuff but aren't sure if you can handle it, I'm certain you can figure it out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Attaching the updated wiring diagram to show all the components and how everything was hooked up in the event others want to take a dive in the deep end. I realize there could be better way to do all this, but this is how my system is set up and seems to be working well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What made you add the optocoupler? I assume the RC filters at the beginning are for the high frequency switching you saw when running. Did you also run into a noise issue, or was the coupler a general recommendation?

I'm not terribly experienced with hardware, so this is the first time I've seen one of those and I'm just curious.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Right, the RC filters are for the high frequency switching. The optocouplers were used because many of the projects I read about when researching how to do this used optocoupers. The benefits seemed two-fold: 1) they allow for the Arduino to be electrically isolated from the car which from my reading have notoriously dirty electrical environments and 2) it allows for a way to level shift the ~14V inputs to 5V.

I'm almost certain there are ways to have the same result without using an optocoupler or opto-isolator, but it seemed like the safest way, ultimately.

The optocoupler I found for my project had a few nice features built in like LED channel indicators to show when it was receiving an ON condition and it corrected the output signal to match the input signal. What I mean by corrected is, normally an optocoupler will take the input signal and invert it, so a +14V input will be output as 0V and a 0V input will be output as +5V.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great work!! Wow looks amazing, hats off to you!

I Would be heavily interested in doing this myself, do you have a guide ? Updated final parts List? Gonna start poking around from your previous list.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts