Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the kind words and motivation all :) This is what a car community should be.

In other words, hoping this simple little assembly I made up will be the solution to all my problems. Maybe test install it all this weekend when it warms up here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:)
370 days later, this is the result I was hoping for:

This was going from zero Arduino, programming and electrical experience to the end state shown. Sticking with this project meant stretching my patience and being humbled more than a few times. I have far more respect for any electrical or programming engineers.

To be blunt this took a long time to put together. Even now that I know what I'm doing it still takes days to assemble the lights and the wiring harness, and do the install. I don't think I could sell something like this and come close to break-even on a remotely reasonable price. To be fair, I went a bit overboard with making sure everything used was OEM-like down to things like installing an additional fuse terminal instead of add-a-fuse, and fabric wire wrap, and sealed connectors.

If you ever want to get into Arduino or programming stuff but aren't sure if you can handle it, I'm certain you can figure it out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Attaching the updated wiring diagram to show all the components and how everything was hooked up in the event others want to take a dive in the deep end. I realize there could be better way to do all this, but this is how my system is set up and seems to be working well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What made you add the optocoupler? I assume the RC filters at the beginning are for the high frequency switching you saw when running. Did you also run into a noise issue, or was the coupler a general recommendation?

I'm not terribly experienced with hardware, so this is the first time I've seen one of those and I'm just curious.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Right, the RC filters are for the high frequency switching. The optocouplers were used because many of the projects I read about when researching how to do this used optocoupers. The benefits seemed two-fold: 1) they allow for the Arduino to be electrically isolated from the car which from my reading have notoriously dirty electrical environments and 2) it allows for a way to level shift the ~14V inputs to 5V.

I'm almost certain there are ways to have the same result without using an optocoupler or opto-isolator, but it seemed like the safest way, ultimately.

The optocoupler I found for my project had a few nice features built in like LED channel indicators to show when it was receiving an ON condition and it corrected the output signal to match the input signal. What I mean by corrected is, normally an optocoupler will take the input signal and invert it, so a +14V input will be output as 0V and a 0V input will be output as +5V.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great work!! Wow looks amazing, hats off to you!

I Would be heavily interested in doing this myself, do you have a guide ? Updated final parts List? Gonna start poking around from your previous list.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Can you please make these? Would solve my dim aftermarket turn signal issue
Any way this can be sold to others?
Hi all, I sincerely appreciate the interest in buying these, ready-made. At this time I have to give the request a hard maybe in the fall.

I've given the idea some actual thought and run a few numbers, looked at the component costs plus my time and the system would likely have to be north of $500 each. The single biggest factor is time; crimping connections, soldering, embedding the lights, verifying operation etc. to make something that will last and is easy to install. I've timed parts of making this and it is a surprising amount of time.

Being honest, as much as I would love a little extra income right now, it isn't a good time for me to take this on and I certainly don't want to take anyone's money without being able to deliver within a reasonable amount of time. If things change and I decide to go for it I'll likely gauge interest in the future on some kind of a group-buy with a threshold to keep cost reasonable.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Throw in the cat, I'll pay $500. lol!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ghozt LED Sequencers v5 (28 ch) – Ghozt Lighting this might sit in place of all that above. I'll whip up a guide once I get it going...
Looked at this, pretty marginal solution. It powers the LEDs individually to control them -- a wire for each. I wouldn't touch this as a solution to DIY.

Far better is to use a strip of addressible LEDs, like the WS2812B. Three wires (GND, VCC, serial bus), and every LED on the strip can be individually controlled as a full 24-bit RGB emitter. Here's an example I coded up on a WS2812B strip as a test bed for 3D GUI I was coding on the Espruino microcontroller platform :

I'm considering tackling this project from scratch, want to do an RGB solution, so that turn animation is amber, stop lighting is red, have them come on bright white on backup. If anyone knows of clear replacement reflectors (unlikely), that would probably put it over the top for me to do it. Otherwise, I'll have to measure, model, and print a lens, and my lazy is going to delay that.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts