Ford Focus RS Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
The TMPS reset tool that I got doesn't work, even though they said it can do Ford 315mhz. I've ordered the Motorcraft TMPS19 one, which looks like it should work.... so I haven't been able to validate yet.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The TMPS reset tool that I got doesn't work, even though they said it can do Ford 315mhz. I've ordered the Motorcraft TMPS19 one, which looks like it should work.... so I haven't been able to validate yet.

An alternative to the tool, to learn position (but not pair to the car) is to inflate the tires to ~ 50 PSI, then, rather than use the tool, deflate them until the horn honks (to learn the position) in the same clockwise order (starting at drivers front) as indicated in the IPC. It takes longer and may mean more inflation/deflation, but is an alternative to the process involving the tool.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here's what I did the last time I reset the TPMS before I turned it off with FORscan.

1) Air up the factory tires to 44 psig.
2) Get in the driver seat with the key. Press the Ignition button once without the clutch depressed to the "ON" position.
3) Push the hazard light button (6) times within 5 seconds. The horn will sound once.
4) The message screen will display "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE".
5) Wait until the horn sounds once. I did not need to release any pressure out. Just wait a minute or so.
6) Repeat step (5) for each message, "TRAIN RIGHT FRONT TIRE" horn, "TRAIN RIGHT REAR TIRE" horn, "TRAIN LEFT REAR TIRE" horn.
7) After the horn sounds for the left rear tire, the process is complete.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Here's what I did the last time I reset the TPMS before I turned it off with FORscan...

5) Wait until the horn sounds once. I did not need to release any pressure out. Just wait a minute or so.
6) Repeat step (5) for each message, "TRAIN RIGHT FRONT TIRE" horn, "TRAIN RIGHT REAR TIRE" horn, "TRAIN LEFT REAR TIRE" horn.
7) After the horn sounds for the left rear tire, the process is complete.
Thanks for sharing what you've done. I really enjoy your site, YouTube channel, your insights, and all the content you share!

Did you type everything you did? If you didn't let any air out, or use a tool, how do you think the sensors learned their individual location?

I think it may be possible for this procedure, as you outlined, could "jump-start" the TPMS system and turn off a TMPS light in certain circumstances. For example, if the TPM Sensors were previously paired to the vehicle (and they were reading "good" pressure, but it wouldn't learn in their unique location). If their location was unchanged from their last reported location they may be, by some chance, reported to be in the correct (PID reported) location, but if the wheels were installed at a random location then chances of getting all 4 in the same location they were previously, so that they report the correct location as a result of this "jump-start," are less likely than not.

As I'm guessing you are well aware, there is only one BCM, and it is the only device which receives the signal from all the TPM Sensors (to be reported via the IPC or on the canbus). It's not as each wheel location has its own receiver. So, there must be something to indicate (to the single BCM) each sensor's unique location. Generally that is done with a tool or by letting air out of each tire in the appropriate order.

Perhaps you were simply sharing what you'd done previously, with success, to turn off the TPMS fault light in the IPC. If so, cool, but I don't think that address @morbid 's concern related to each TPM Sensor's unique location.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
I'm going to wait and check out the new TPMS reset tool that should arrive in a few days, and if that doesn't work then I'll try the psi method. My air compressor is only 1 gallon (I really need to upgrade it), so it's not the quickest for adding a lot of air to my tires.

From what I've read, the brakes and start/stop button method works for all TPMS issues, while the hazards method works if it's just for re-learning -- if the TPMS sensors aren't new and the ECU knows them already. Both will get me into relearn, but I'll probably go with the hazard method since it's simpler. For mine, it went into re-learn mode after 3 cycles of the hazards too, so I'm not sure if the "6" refers to hitting the button 6 times or cycling it that many.

I did get a good use from RSApp v2 already. I brought my car into a tire shop for them to replace the clamp weights with tape weights that they only put on one side of the car. I was concerned that they might have swapped the front/rear wheels when they did that, and RSApp verified the wheels were put back in the same locations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This tool works!

you can get it even from China for a few $

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
@Benutzername , that's good to know! In the comments for the 1st one I got, someone said it did not work for a newer Escape. I watched a youtube video from FordTechMakuloco and he successfully used that TPMS19 on a newer Escape.... so I ordered that one, assuming it would work for ours.

·
Premium Member
2017 Focus RS (Canada) / 2009 VW Golf GTI / 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD
526 Posts
I'm going to wait and check out the new TPMS reset tool that should arrive in a few days, and if that doesn't work then I'll try the psi method. My air compressor is only 1 gallon (I really need to upgrade it), so it's not the quickest for adding a lot of air to my tires.

From what I've read, the brakes and start/stop button method works for all TPMS issues, while the hazards method works if it's just for re-learning -- if the TPMS sensors aren't new and the ECU knows them already. Both will get me into relearn, but I'll probably go with the hazard method since it's simpler. For mine, it went into re-learn mode after 3 cycles of the hazards too, so I'm not sure if the "6" refers to hitting the button 6 times or cycling it that many.

I did get a good use from RSApp v2 already. I brought my car into a tire shop for them to replace the clamp weights with tape weights that they only put on one side of the car. I was concerned that they might have swapped the front/rear wheels when they did that, and RSApp verified the wheels were put back in the same locations.
You can always use the compressor that came with the car! :D

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
I always forget that's there and pack my own when I go on road trips. My small air compressor is still much faster though.... I just wouldn't want to use it for 60+psi in the tires.

Question about the square OBD2 cables though. I got Tomek's one that is powered when the car is running, and the web page shows it getting used behind the left rear wheel well. A while ago, I thought someone said they hooked an OBD2 splitter above the passenger footwell.... but I couldn't find any kind of square connector that was 2 rows that might might work for Tomek's splitter. I was hoping to have the Carloop up front so it's near my phone and I'm concerned about the wifi range if the Carloop is in the hatch. I guess I could look for an antenna that fits that tiny connector on the Carloop, but I'm hoping someone can point out a location up front that the square (not trapezoid) OBD2 splitter could be used.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
I got my TPMS all reset, but won't be able to test it with RSApp until tomorrow. A weird thing though.. all the videos I've seen, people hold the relearn tool to the sidewall... straight out from the valve stem. I couldn't get that to work. I tried holding it to the base of the valve stem and it worked right away. I have the Enkei NT03 wheels that have 2 valve stems, so finding the correct stem added to the fun.

Tomorrow I'll vary my tire pressures again and make sure they're in the correct locations and report back!

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
624 Posts
It does look like the rear sensors are swapped. Can anyone else validate?

I filled them to 45, 40, 35, 30...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a problem :(

Flashed T13 (with UCDS)

After this error drive mode and AWD not availible.

Anybody ever had this problem?

Flashed back to stock - still no AWD

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I have a problem :(

Flashed T13 (with UCDS)

After this error drive mode and AWD not availible.

Anybody ever had this problem?

Flashed back to stock - still no AWD
maybe that file (t13) didn't load correctly onto your carloop.
try different modes (t5, t16, t11, or the ever daring x1 o_O )
also...low battery charge will prevent AWD from operating

·
Registered
34 Posts
maybe that file (t13) didn't load correctly onto your carloop. delete it off from your cpu and reload.
or try different modes (t5, t16, t11, or the ever daring x1 o_O )
Loaded the "T1" = stock.

same probleme

AWD Modul says

U3000:92-2F
U0140:87-2F communication with Body-Control Modul lost
U0422:00-2F invalid data from BCM

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Loaded the "T1" = stock.

same probleme

AWD Modul says

U3000:92-2F
U0140:87-2F communication with Body-Control Modul lost
U0422:00-2F invalid data from BCM
this sounds like a job for @TomekRST or @Kacper
i would private message them. respectfully ask for their assistance and offer monetary compensation
i'm sure it's something easy for them to remedy

981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts