Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0025[1].JPG

Started with musty smell on A/C startup. Tried shooting Lysol down the air intake, and shutting A/C off (fan still on pulling air from outside) about 5min. from home to dry the evaporator and deprive the mold of moisture. No joy. Changed cabin filter and was surprised how much mold was on filter. That white strip on top is how white the filter is supposed to be! And that aint dust on the filter, it's mold! For comparison, the engine intake filter still looks brand new sitting next to the new one I bought. Car only has 9k mi. and one year old. $11 and change at local parts store, and lots of YouTube vids on how to. Good luck. Oh yeah, no more smell!

·
5,582 Posts
Interesting.
Can you elaborate how to access this filter?

Tia.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Interesting.
Can you elaborate how to access this filter?

Tia.
The filter is located behind the cup holders/under and behind the radio and is accessed through the passenger side foot-well. Its kinda tight and I'm a small guy so good luck.

20170426_182931.jpg
1 Torx bolt at the bottom to undo (can't remember the size sorry) then pinch the two tabs. Sorry the pic is sideways so on the right of the picture (it's the shiny thing)
20170806_181015.jpg
Not sure about others, but I had to pull these off in order to slide the filter out. It's as simple as pulling up on the tab that's at the bottom, it will dislodge itself.
20170426_182718.jpg
This is the piece after you pull it off.
20170426_182452.jpg
My filter after I knocked all the leaves and bigger stuff out. It was pretty bad and mine was at 9k too (Maryland)
20170426_182449.jpg
Self explanatory.

·
5,582 Posts
Brilliant.
Thank you for the details.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I took all those in preparation for a write up since I went to go change mine and didn't know where it was (every other car I owned was behind the glove box beside my aviator which is unserviceable) and didn't want others to deal with searching like me. But then I got lazy.. But I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just ordered a new cabin filter... I found this video 3 years ago when I needed to replace it in my ST. It should still be relevant to the RS.

Pretty good video, though I will say, if you remove those 2 plugs you don't have to bend the filter or squeeze it like he had to

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is it the same filter as the ST?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My '16 RS has same cabin filter as wife's '13 SE. Purolator lists a C36174, only difference from OEM is I believe the Purolator piece lacks the cheap foam "seal" that the motorcraft pn uses.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I helped my son changed out the cabin filter with his ST and it was a bit tricky. You almost have to be a contortionist to do it but we got it done. Too bad they do not make a charcoal filter replacement for it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just changed mine today at 10,000 miles. Started smelling pretty bad when turning on the AC. It didn't seem too dirty, but was full of leaves and pollen. The smell is now gone though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pretty good video, though I will say, if you remove those 2 plugs you don't have to bend the filter or squeeze it like he had to
I change my filter over the weekend and disconnected those plugs to fit the filter in. I noticed that it seemed to disconnect a main circuit and my trip computer was reset after. THis doesn't reset the key-cycles does it? If I have to take my car in for warranty service I don't want to have an isssue.... and I am bone stock :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
It is indeed. I couldn't look it up on Motorcraft's website for some reason, so I ordered off of Amazon. My old one was definitely gross.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I change my filter over the weekend and disconnected those plugs to fit the filter in. I noticed that it seemed to disconnect a main circuit and my trip computer was reset after. THis doesn't reset the key-cycles does it? If I have to take my car in for warranty service I don't want to have an isssue.... and I am bone stock :(
This should only disconnect power to the computer. The same as pulling out the battery.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts