Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

my Ford Service is trying to install Xtreme Clutch Single mass conversion. First one was organic without springs, Now we are trying to put organic with springs. Unfortunately, in both cases rattles when pedal is depressed are totally unacceptable. Anyone with this clutch already installed?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey @RS#43 did you have any issues with the install of your clutch?
My FORD tech's installed my Twin Plate Organic and didn't mention they had any issues at all . Although now at around 6,500 Klms in after install the clutch occasionally lets out a very small moan on takeoff ( no issue if I dump it quickly though , only when riding it )

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just curious why you guys are changing clutches already. Are you highly tuned ? :redface-new:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Original clutch is a joke. It’s not a secret that 90% of users with replaced engine have a replaced clutch. But clutch is not covered by guarantee. I have a new engine and I told my Ford tech that I’m not going to spent next 1000 bugs for new clutch after next 10 000 miles. That’s why I choose Xtreme clutch which is much, much better.

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The plates rattling is completely normal in a multi-plate system. It's more audible when the pedal is depressed (clutch disengaged).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just curious why you guys are changing clutches already. Are you highly tuned ? :redface-new:
Gearbox leak was found at 15k service ( turned out to be the output shaft assembly on the gearbox where it joins the shifter mechanism ) so had a look at the clutch & already had a few issues with too much play and score marks from only 5-6 launches ..decided to drop in something to handle any future power I want to make .Currently close to 400whp on E30 tune .

·
Registered
115 Posts
My FORD tech's installed my Twin Plate Organic and didn't mention they had any issues at all . Although now at around 6,500 Klms in after install the clutch occasionally lets out a very small moan on takeoff ( no issue if I dump it quickly though , only when riding it )
Noises in twin plate clutches are difficult to solve. When Ford released the Typhoon Falcon some years ago they had issues galore, to the extent that many many dollars in research was spent trying to solve it. In the end they engaged Boeing to take some high speed photography of the operating parts in a test rig, some ridiculous amount of frames per second was mentioned, to find where the noise was coming from. Best of luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t have a multiplate, as I wrote this is single mass. This one
I’m used to rattles in that kind of clutches (I had 2 cars with this mod) but rattles witch I have now in RS are 10x stronger.
Look at attached pictures of mine Xtreme after 1 km test - there is burned area on it - that’s not normal thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got an e-mail from Xtreme Europe. They (in cooperation with Ford Tech) can’t find source of problem and they recommend back to OEM clutch. I will get money back and they cover service costs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine does this too! Finally someone else has it. Does it also do it when you shift hard and fast when driving hard at high rpm? I have the competition mpc twin disk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts