Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I installed the XDI Fuel Pump and XDI Injectors. I did both as my goal for my car is 500whp on straight E85. The pump alone will support mid 400ish with the stock injectors. I did not want to go port injection for several reasons and this will meet my goal. This is not an official guide but I am putting this out there to anyone that it might help. I am not a mechanic or anyone qualified to give professional advice. Feel free to add to this so it can help others out.

Injectors were straight forward there are a few considerations before you start your install.

I watched these youtube videos before installing to get a better idea of what I was doing.
RS injector video
ST Video Injector
RS Catch Can Video
It is recommended to buy new injector clips
It is recommended to buy new fuel rail bolts.

This is the process I followed.
  • Wear protective eye gear for this install fuel does and can spray.
  • Remove f56 fuse 20a in the top left under the passenger side
  • Run car until car shuts off
  • Remove battery terminal
  • Remove intake manifold (See RS Catch Can video)
  • Remove Fuel Rail (see the ST video injectors)
  • Remove Injectors
  • Prepare XDI injector with new injector clips. I lubed the top seal of the injectors but not the bottom seal as it is not recommended.
  • Install the new injectors I pushed from the clips and you should feel that it makes a seal with the injectors to the block. (there might be a special tool, but I used my hands and made sure I went from slightly above the block int the injector slot) I also connected the injectors harness.
  • Install the fuel rail. I slightly lubed the the inside of the rail where the top portion of the injectors seat. Make sure to connect fuel rail AN line connector
  • You want to install the fuel rail from above the injectors not straight forward.
  • Torque injectors to first 8nm then 26nm
  • Make sure all connection are in their place.
  • Replace exhaust manifold cover.
  • Make sure to put your fuse back in (I forgot this at first ahahah)
  • Make sure you connect your battery
  • Make sure you tune is on your car.
XDI Fuel Pump install.
Read this
Xtreme-Di Focus Rs High Pressure Fuel Pump Upgrade
videos I watched:
RS XDI pump install
  • Follow Mountune Instructors up to step 5
  • The issue comes in on step 7 when trying to bend the fuel rail. I tried bending the fuel rail by hand and with a wrench but it was still too far away.
  • Make sure the bottom part of the fuel rail is connected but loose
  • I had to clock the top part of the fuel pump to the nipple and connect the fuel line and tube nut. Then I supported the base of the pump and was able to bend the line to the point where I could connect the two allen bolts to the base plate of the pump.
  • Now tighten down the hard line fuel line nuts.
  • Go to step 8 of mountune instructors.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
122 Posts
Are you going to replace your lpfp? Heard the bigger hpfp needs 100 vs the 65 the stock one puts out in the tank. I went the same route you did but also did the aux rail and a surge tank since my car is tracked. I’m going with a dw400 in the tank soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to replace your lpfp? Heard the bigger hpfp needs 100 vs the 65 the stock one puts out in the tank. I went the same route you did but also did the aux rail and a surge tank since my car is tracked. I’m going with a dw400 in the tank soon.
For my power levels I not seen anyone replace the intake pump. From what I have read it is good until about 600whp. But I could be wrong

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
This weekend I installed the XDI Fuel Pump and XDI Injectors. I did both as my goal for my car is 500whp on straight E85. The pump alone will support mid 400ish with the stock injectors. I did not want to go port injection for several reasons and this will meet my goal. This is not an official guide but I am putting this out there to anyone that it might help. I am not a mechanic or anyone qualified to give professional advice. Feel free to add to this so it can help others out.

Injectors were straight forward there are a few considerations before you start your install.

I watched these youtube videos before installing to get a better idea of what I was doing.
RS injector video
ST Video Injector
RS Catch Can Video
It is recommended to buy new injector clips
It is recommended to buy new fuel rail bolts.
View attachment 343389

This is the process I followed.
  • Remove battery terminal
  • Remove intake manifold (See RS Catch Can video)
  • Remove Fuel Rail (see the ST video injectors)
  • Remove Injectors
  • Prepare XDI injector with new injector clips. I lubed the top seal of the injectors but not the bottom seal as it is not recommended.
  • Install the new injectors I pushed from the clips and you should feel that it makes a seal with the injectors to the block. (there might be a special tool, but I used my hands and made sure I went from slightly above the block int the injector slot) I also connected the injectors harness.
  • Install the fuel rail. I slightly lubed the the inside of the rail where the top portion of the injectors seat. Make sure to connect fuel rail AN line connector
  • You want to install the fuel rail from above the injectors not straight forward.
  • Torque injectors to first 8nm then 26nm
  • Make sure all connection are in their place.
  • Replace exhaust manifold cover.
XDI Fuel Pump install.
Read this
Xtreme-Di Focus Rs High Pressure Fuel Pump Upgrade
videos I watched:
RS XDI pump install
  • Follow Mountune Instructors up to step 5
  • The issue comes in on step 7 when trying to bend the fuel rail. I tried bending the fuel rail by hand and with a wrench but it was still too far away.
  • Make sure the bottom part of the fuel rail is connected but loose
  • I had to clock the top part of the fuel pump to the nipple and connect the fuel line and tube nut. Then I supported the base of the pump and was able to bend the line to the point where I could connect the two allen bolts to the base plate of the pump.
  • Now tighten down the hard line fuel line nuts.
  • Go to step 8 of mountune instructors.
View attachment 343390

View attachment 343391

View attachment 343392
God almighty what have you done to the hard fuel line, it looks totally butchered. Not only that but the tube exiting the "B" nut at an angle like that doesn't bode well for the longevity of the pipe. Ask yourself what the outcome is if that pipe fractures due to vibration and stress raisers caused by the damage. fuel spraying around the engine bay at 2100 psi.

Ciao

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
God almighty what have you done to the hard fuel line, it looks totally butchered. Not only that but the tube exiting the "B" nut at an angle like that doesn't bode well for the longevity of the pipe. Ask yourself what the outcome is if that pipe fractures due to vibration and stress raisers caused by the damage. fuel spraying around the engine bay at 2100 psi.

Ciao
Yep part of the reason why I made this post so someone doesn't make the same mistakes I did.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yep part of the reason why I made this post so someone doesn't make the same mistakes I did.
So is bending the HP fuel pipe a necessary part of the install? If so then typically of these install videos they completely skip the hard/dodgy parts of the job. Bending formed Stainless Steel pipes carrying HP fuel isn't something I would recommend esp over such a short length. Pipes like these really need to be fitted so there is no strain at all on them when they are tightened down and not re bent after forming. Long lengths of SS pipe you can tweak a little but personally I'd be changing that pipe of yours out asap.
I've seen many,many fractured SS pipes like these over my career mainly carrying bleed air or hydraulics but also HP fuel. Fitting them up is what I would term a critical operation if you dont want them to fail down the road. If this line was any sort of air, hydraulic or fuel line on an aircraft it simply wouldn't be endorsed to fly with this kind of damage to the line.

Ciao

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is bending the HP fuel pipe a necessary part of the install? If so then typically of these install videos they completely skip the hard/dodgy parts of the job. Bending formed Stainless Steel pipes carrying HP fuel isn't something I would recommend esp over such a short length. Pipes like these really need to be fitted so there is no strain at all on them when they are tightened down and not re bent after forming. Long lengths of SS pipe you can tweak a little but personally I'd be changing that pipe of yours out asap.
I've seen many,many fractured SS pipes like these over my career mainly carrying bleed air or hydraulics but also HP fuel. Fitting them up is what I would term a critical operation if you dont want them to fail down the road. If this line was any sort of air, hydraulic or fuel line on an aircraft it simply wouldn't be endorsed to fly with this kind of damage to the line.

Ciao
So if I think I did it a second time I think I could bend it without doing damage to the line. I talked with the XDI engineer and he did ensure me that it would be ok to bend a bit. And you're right about that nobody showed the difficult part of bending the line or how to do it. There are a few other videos that showed using a wrench to bend the line which I tried. That is how I caused some damage to the line. But if you clock the pump and then bend it in my instructions it should not do any additional damage.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I didn't watch the videos so they might have warnings about it, but want to add this in writing anyways. I did see the instructions state to run the engine until it dies from starvation, which will bleed pressure from the system.

If you have never messed with a Direct Injection system do not under any circumstances open a line while the system is under pressure. D.I. is not port injection, you aren't going to just get sprayed with fuel, and a rag over the area will not protect you in the least. The high pressure side of the fuel system is under extreme pressure. I think its 1500-2200psi. It only takes 100psi of pressure for a stream of liquid to puncture human skin. So a 1500psi system is going to puncture deeply and cause lasting, serious injury.

Just like a diesel fuel system you do not screw around with it under pressure.

If you want to know for sure, do a google image search for "high pressure injection injury". Its nasty, and is not a small cut, you won't be 'fine'.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I didn't watch the videos so they might have warnings about it, but want to add this in writing anyways. I did see the instructions state to run the engine until it dies from starvation, which will bleed pressure from the system.

If you have never messed with a Direct Injection system do not under any circumstances open a line while the system is under pressure. D.I. is not port injection, you aren't going to just get sprayed with fuel, and a rag over the area will not protect you in the least. The high pressure side of the fuel system is under extreme pressure. I think its 1500-2200psi. It only takes 100psi of pressure for a stream of liquid to puncture human skin. So a 1500psi system is going to puncture deeply and cause lasting, serious injury.

Just like a diesel fuel system you do not screw around with it under pressure.

If you want to know for sure, do a google image search for "high pressure injection injury". Its nasty, and is not a small cut, you won't be 'fine'.
Ya don't powerwash your foot either...2100psi def took off 3 layers of skin in a blink of a eye.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ya don't powerwash your foot either...2100psi def took off 3 layers of skin in a blink of a eye.
You did this to yourself im guessing?
Jesus.....that would be horrendously painful I would imagine!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You did this to yourself im guessing?
Jesus.....that would be horrendously painful I would imagine!
Ya its kinda like a 1000 little papercuts and left a nice interesting scar (kinda like a larger polio vaccine). Don't wear sandals and power wash concrete. This was all in from a sub second event with a 15 degree nozzle just sweeping it back and forth and when the wand hit a stick and bounced back into my foot, but I'd imagine if its good enough to remove meat from a carcass and my foot at that rate it could be very much deadly if used improperly.

·
Registered
912 Posts
So how did this turn out. I’ve been running the Livernois hpfp and injectors with a flex fuel tune for a few years now and it’s been great.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Turn it around

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Seems to me that XDI should provide a new hard fuel line for their pump instead of bending the stock line.
That would be the proper way to do it, rather than hacking shi7 which is potentially dangerous.

Reactions: FocusonthisRS
1 - 19 of 19 Posts