Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Care to share pictures from wrecks you've been in? I'll start

Today is 6 years from when I almost died. Had I been driving my 86 Civic Si instead of my father-in-law's `0? Prius I likely would not be shopping for an RS right now. Father-in-law was having issues with meds and was not allowed to drive due to seizures so after I got off work I would drive him to work and hour away (hour each way). Along the way Gayla Hallmark attempted to cross the highway in her SUV right in front, 30-40ft at most, of me when I was going ~55MPH. Last thing I remember before waking in ditch with the driver side down was: her pulling out, my saying "oh ****" and my foot touching the brake, I do not remember actually pressing the brake. Witnesses said I did reach the brake and even attempted to maneuver to avoid her. But I moved right enough that I clipped the front of it and spun her around as I deflected off towards the ditch. Trooper said had I stayed straight in my lane I would have t-boned her SUV and wreck would have likely been worse for us due to mass of SUV vs Prius.

Driver's side front tire reached the door. Broke my right leg and really messed my knee up, still bothers me regularly. Father-in-law was fine, just shaken up. I had driven my car on some of these trips, but to keep miles off of my car father-in-law agreed just the day before that the Prius could just stay at my house instead of having to return to his after I got home from dropping him off, which saved me about 30-40 minutes since I had to pass my house to get to his. He got another Prius.

In 2010 following this I started Auto-X. Figured not to put off things I wanted to do anymore. My injures were the reason I was put in the timing trailer since I could not stand on my leg very long yet. In fact the first time I had to chase cones was at TireRack national tour in San Diego.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had a huge long description typed up, but before I could submit it my cat hit the back button on the keyboard and lost it. So cliffnotes.

December 24th 2013. It was dry and warm enough to have the top down. I was returning home from work a little early to celebrate Christmas Eve with my grandparents in Cincinnati. As I approached an intersection by my house to turn left the light changed to yellow, so I stopped. A guy in his early 30s driving a brand new Cadillac in the opposite direction was apparently in much more of a hurry. He swerved into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the back of the car in front of him that had stopped at the red light. He was going too fast to get back into his lane before he exited the intersection and ended up hitting me head-on. My Eclipse survived because his front clip disintegrated. His airbags went off. Mine mysteriously did not. The car was very close to being totaled but I begged the insurance company to let me keep it. I didn't get any pictures of the damage; only of the half-assed repair.

January 5th 2014, about an hour before the worst winter storm in recent memory. I had made it out of Indianapolis before the snow started and settled into highway cruising as it began. There was a silver Caliber parked on the shoulder ahead of me at the begging of a curve in the highway. It was still dark and its lights were off, so I assumed that it had been abandoned (a common occurrence in Indy) and didn't attempt to brave the left lane, which had accumulated a layer of untouched snow. Well, right as I approached it the Dodge pulled out in front of me. I missed hitting it by instead sliding into the median and then back across the highway. I hit the outside guard rail almost head-on, then bounced off and hit the inner guard rail for a bridge with the rear. I got a deep gash (and permanent scar) from my head hitting the A pillar and the car was, without a doubt, totaled. Again, the airbags did not go off. The police dumped me at a local McDonalds and I cleaned up some of the blood in their bathroom while I waited for someone to take me back.

This is all I could see when I went to the towyard to retrieve some clothes a few days later. The weather was so bad that even the tow company was closed.
IMG_20140107_132144.jpg

Progressive was kind enough to tow it to Terre Haute for me so that I could retrieve some of the parts that I had installed just a few weeks prior. Here it is in April when the snow finally melted.
IMG_20140501_191648.jpg

On the one-year anniversary of the loss of my beloved Edgar, Google made a present for me.
IMG_20140107_132845-SNOW.gif

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
@pintobeaner Drunk driver hit it at 45mph in a Taurus from a stop. Then it was shoved into oncoming traffic that was going 35-40 mph. Insurance wanted to give me $1,200 for it. I ended up with the car and twelve grand after some fighting.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Targa West tarmac rally in Western Australia, August 2015...my 2006 subaru STI Spec C tarmac rally car...we went into a corner just a little too fast, stepped out about a foot too wide, oversteered a little but into the gravel edge, slid about 50 metres before hitting a drainage ditch sideways at about 140 KPH...big rollover, ripping the back RH wheel off the car completely, pulling out the RH front driveshaft and ending up on our side. Both myself and my co-driver walked away unharmed...thanks to a top class cage and other safety features.... Spec C crash 1.jpg Spec C crash 2.jpg Spec C crash 6.jpg Spec C crash 5.jpg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Targa West tarmac rally in Western Australia, August 2015...my 2006 subaru STI Spec C tarmac rally car...we went into a corner just a little too fast, stepped out about a foot too wide, oversteered a little but into the gravel edge, slid about 50 metres before hitting a drainage ditch sideways at about 140 KPH...big rollover, ripping the back RH wheel off the car completely, pulling out the RH front driveshaft and ending up on our side. Both myself and my co-driver walked away unharmed...thanks to a top class cage and other safety features.... View attachment 2940
WOW Nauli... That's a proper off there. Glad you had excellent safety bits in the car. Very nice looking cage in that one. Was salvagable I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That sucks and it was a beautiful car. So what year?

Sorry it was a 72 510. 1800 sss, custom reshaped intake ports, Z valves, flat tops, SUs, full custom coilovers, penultimate read crossmember, 280zx four wheel disc brakes, 4.11:1 LSD, and a lot more. Owned many 510 datsuns and I put all my best parts on this thing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry it was a 72 510. 1800 sss, custom reshaped intake ports, Z valves, flat tops, SUs, full custom coilovers, penultimate read crossmember, 280zx four wheel disc brakes, 4.11:1 LSD, and a lot more. Owned many 510 datsuns and I put all my best parts on this thing.
I thought so, knew it was a 510 just wasn't sure of year. Again a damn shame. Did you castrate the drunk driver?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes...cage was intact and was sold off with the shell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used to be a police officer and was responding to a vehicle fire I was travelling at a high rate of speed then one of those pesky bucks jumped in front of my vehicle and this was the outcome.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to be a police officer and was responding to a vehicle fire I was travelling at a high rate of speed then one of those pesky bucks jumped in front of my vehicle and this was the outcome.
Yes, I have had run ins with them too, luckily none that severe.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yes, I have had run ins with them too, luckily none that severe.
The Police or a buck? :)

I don't have pics of any of my accidents I don't think. I haven't had any in a while.. knock on wood.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nobody wants me to keep a Focus very long, '03 SVT on Halloween a young woman decided to do a U-turn from the curb, I doing est 40 clipped here left front corner...the car proceeded to break dance, onto the median, on top of a fire ant bed. Only 18k on the clock. PB030156.jpg PB030159.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Then I bought another, '04 SVT at 49k a little old man, just turned 90, pulled out in front of me, tried to avoid the hit by steering away, but he followed me. This one is when I collected from insurance and built the RS 2009-12-16074157.jpg

Used most of the SVT along with a donor car, here ready to be recycled. 2010-02-07155749.jpg

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hey peoples. Check this one out. Not mine, but someone else's wreck. Looks like the Mustang hit the Fiesta while turning left. Straight from the dealer! Bad day for that dealer. 20160223_114924[1].jpg 20160223_115059[1].jpg
Looks to be totaled or will be salvaged. You can see how far from the dealer this happened. Poor Fiesta...... Please don't let anyone test drive my RS!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts