Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear-ended while sitting at a traffic light a few weeks ago and so far the shop is over 100 hours of work and over $15k in damages. A lot of structural damage, sub frame, floor pan, some right side suspension issues, broken driver seat frame, some busted interior panels.

They will be doing a lot of cutting and welding. Allstate will warranty the repairs for as long as I own the car. I’m wondering if the car will ever be the same though. I’m tempted to sell it as soon as I get it back and buy something else.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wait and see. Drive it first. It's not like you have a choice until the Body Shop is done anyway. I would also visit the shop while the car is being worked on and review their work and ask questions. Maybe that will help you decide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
15k in damages & a broken drivers side seat frame? My goodness, I’m just glad to hear that you’re seemingly okay. Those bolstered seats might be why your back & neck are not broken.

What would be the insurance companies reasoning for approving 15k in repairs? Who knows how it will drive afterwards however it won’t be easy to resale with that on its carfax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I was rear-ended while sitting at a traffic light a few weeks ago and so far the shop is over 100 hours of work and over $15k in damages. A lot of structural damage, sub frame, floor pan, some right side suspension issues, broken driver seat frame, some busted interior panels.

They will be doing a lot of cutting and welding. Allstate will warranty the repairs for as long as I own the car. I’m wondering if the car will ever be the same though. I’m tempted to sell it as soon as I get it back and buy something else.

What would you guys do?
Sell it and move on. Seriously the chances of getting a high quality repair job or any sort of high quality mechanical work done professionally is pretty slim now. Its the biggest concern for any long term owner of anything these days be it car,home, motorcycle whatever. High quality, competent,professional trades people that are committed or even somewhat interested in high quality work.
Its a bonus just getting a decent quality new vehicle out of the factory these days let alone fixing a smashed one.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Problem is the insurance company is involved. They will low ball any work the shop attempts to justify. I've found parts of my car that the shop cut out to work on the damage and instead of welding the part back on, duct tape. If you keep it, get another car and use this for rally racing.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Unfortunate truth is you will get killed selling if anyone reviews the Carfax. Really unfortunate it wasn't totalled. Best bet is to keep the car and if it's back to normal, enjoy it. If not, unload it, but you will take a large hit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I would look into filing a diminished value claim to cover that difference between what it was worth before the damage vs. what it will be worth after the repair. I've never done one but now, with information available like Carfax and others, it only seems fair to be compensated for the loss of value, especially since you were not at fault.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Wawanesa does 85% to declare it totaled.

When my Evo X was rear-ended by a Freight-liner in Dec 20th 2016, I had the same question.

Will the car ever be the same?
Can I find a same replacement car?

I was tweaked for at least 6 months. I did not get a replacement till Aug Last year.

I got the Evo X for $34,000 in 2010. Had 32,000 miles on it and they gave me $32,000 for it.

I was tweaked so bad I left the aftermarket parts on the car ( wheels and all).

I missed the car, but if it won't be the same as it was before the accident...... I decided to cut my loses and I am happy with my RS.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Major problem is the fact like mentioned all work is approved by insurance carrier. That sucks because they are in business to make money not happy customers huge difference. Also the prep work and follow through on the spot welding needs aren’t going to last since the oem structure was dipped and sealed. In about 5 yrs u will see issues with repairs if done good and sooner if not. Repair shops are notorious for welding in tension panels which aren’t factory straight but aligned best as possible. Permanent springs which will crack the welds and make a horribly loud car from metal movements.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve already spoken to my insurance company about a diminished value claim. They’ll work on it once repairs are complete.
I was going to say go for diminished value but it was suggested already. Since that’s in the works I suggest selling your RS because it will never be the same. When this is done go for the Porsche you have been wanting. If you don’t have the GT350 maybe a GT500 or aC8???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to say go for diminished value but it was suggested already. Since that’s in the works I suggest selling your RS because it will never be the same. When this is done go for the Porsche you have been wanting. If you don’t have the GT350 maybe a GT500 or aC8???
I’ve still got the GT350. Would like another DD. I’m not dedicated enough to find an MSRP GT500 deal and would like to wait a few years before considering the C8. I’m actually thinking of getting an F80 M3.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Before I jump in to my experience, YOU are the victim here. This persons' insurance company MUST MAKE YOU WHOLE! You can hire an attorney, use your insurance company, and be particular. Their insurance company isn't your friend. This is your high performance sports car. Honestly, make it difficult for them. Tell them that you know OEM, NEW parts are difficult to get, and that anything going on this car, is going to be OEM and new.

The car will never be the same. In my experience, I have owned 2 cars that were in serious wrecks; my 2017 Subaru crosstrek and my 2008 Nissan Altima. The Atlima was a long time ago, I was in college and a girl just made a left in front of me and hit me head on. About $6k in damages give or take. Nothing major to the frame etc, but that car suffered from alignment issues and was poorly rebuilt where stuff just wasn't done correctly or even 100%. I was driving home from school (first time going about +50mph in the car) and noticed the hood was not properly connected. Nothing I could do but to continue to drive home (7hrs) worrying it was going to fly off. I then had to go to the same chain of auto repair shops in Jersey, but the nearest one was 45 minutes away in New York. that was a pain. This car was a lease, so no big deal.

My Crosstrek experience, and I think you may learn something from my mistakes here. Get a second opinion, and MAKE SURE the shop takes their time to really look at the car. Remember, your insurance company is not your friend. The autobody shop is also not your friend (yet), because if they don't do repairs on the car, they don't get paid! I told the shop doing repairs to my rear ended Crosstrek to please make sure the suspension and frame is not jacked up. The car could be moved under it's own power, but couldn't be driven. I had moved to Colorado 3 months earlier not really knowing anyone. So I had it towed to the autobody shop of the dealer I bought the car from. I must not have been clear enough, because they calculated the repairs at $8k. Started doing repairs, I checked in 3-4 weeks later (estimated 2-3 weeks for the repairs), and low and behold, there was suspension and frame damage. Another $7-10k in work, and another 4-6 weeks. I was pissed, because I knew my rental car coverage was only 4 weeks and really laid into the guy. He quickly offered to cover my rental car for the duration of the repair.

Accident happened on Super Bowl Sunday, and I finally got my car back in mid April. Had to fight over stupid little crap as well. I refused to take the car on the first go over some cosmetic and mechanical issues and over a tire that had a big chunk missing out of the sidewall. By mid April that year, ski season was largely over so I wasn't going up to the mountains again in inclement conditions. Car is fine to drive in average conditions, not noticing anything that different. It's a Crossrtrek sitting in traffic most of it's life, so not being driven hard.

December rolls around. Early season powder day in the mountains. Load up the car with 2 friends to go into the mountains through the snow. The car was just awful. Up until the accident, the car's only saving grace was how good it was in the snow. This thing was a MONSTER in the snow. So I'm on I70, and the car starts twitching and shaking at 40-50mph with packed snow on the ground. Something it hadn't done before. It was bad. It was really tough to control, it felt like a speed wobble on a skate board, it starts slow and quickly side to side, but the side to side motion increases every time, until the car spins (or skateboarder crashes). I had had enough of this car at this point for many reasons, and said screw it. going to see what I can get on trade in. It was about 14 months old, 15k miles, and a Crosstrek in Colorado in December. Got $19k on trade in for a WRX. I got lucky here; 1) it was leased and 2) the dealer gave me a really good value for it. But I was ready to go to war with the repair shop.

A VERY long winded response to the issue your facing here. But hopefully you can take away a lot of information. One thing I did not mention and haven't seen anyone else mention, you must go after insurance for diminished value. There are people out there that calculate future values and the insurance company should cut you a check.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bushy, thanks for the detailed response! I have already spoken to my insurance about diminished value. The guy who hit me was uninsured so my insurance is on the hook for repairs.

I’m in the same boat with the rental car. I’ve already been in communication about extending it. They extended it to 1/6 but my car isn’t due to be done until 1/15ish. I guess I’ll call again on the 6th for another extension.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Bushy, thanks for the detailed response! I have already spoken to my insurance about diminished value. The guy who hit me was uninsured so my insurance is on the hook for repairs.

I’m in the same boat with the rental car. I’ve already been in communication about extending it. They extended it to 1/6 but my car isn’t due to be done until 1/15ish. I guess I’ll call again on the 6th for another extension.
The guy who hit my crosstrek was actually uninsured as well at that time. Not sure why, but my insurance company, Geico, was super helpful and nice throughout the process. That was a hit and run case with multiple witnesses who got the plates, make and model of the car. It was then tracked down, and found to not have insurance based on the tags/vin. I paid my deductible, and my claims person said Geico goes after these individuals aggressively. Well, they did and collected everything from this person. Who somehow ended up getting insurance after the accident. No idea how, but I got a check for my deductible back several months later.

This sort of crap is why we can't have nice things. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts