Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 months ago I had an AEM wmi kit supplied and fitted by a tuning company.
Since day 1 the system does not operate correctly, due to 2 issues

1/ with all wiring connected up i accelerate and the controller\pump cut out with a single red flash of the led.Thinks the fluid level is low, but it’s not, it’s full up. AEM have sent me a new controller and then a new sensor. Still the same, if I pull the plug from the sensor and bridge the pins with a wire the system operates fine can hear the pump and charge air temps drop to 43F.
AEM asked me to bridge a wire across the sensor prongs and refit to tank (see photo below) did this and again system operates fine. I’m fairly certain they’re going to come back and say my fluid mix is the issue but it does this with just water and 50/50 boost juice.

2/ wired up the green failsafe in accordance with AEM support dia, but this just triggers for no obvious reason and cuts boost to wastegate spring pressure and throws a P0246 error code. With it disconnected there’s no problem.
It runs through a relay, the 12v source is tapped from the OE BCS, the signal wire on the BCS is tapped and runs through the specified pins along with the failsafe wire, but it doesn’t work as expected.

If anyone has any knowledge or bright ideas around this i would be most grateful.
The problem is wmi is not too popular here in Blighty and finding a tuner to support this is near hopeless 😩
I can’t go putting a race type map on the car all the time the wmi is unreliable otherwise I’ll not have much of an engine left 👎

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
What exactly are you connecting the green wire to?

I do not run an aftermarket failsafe or guardian angel or wtv. Just what’s included in the v3 kit plus a solenoid for the nozzle. No green wire used

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The green wire was connected to the BCS signal wire.
That aside the main issue is unless I bridge the sensor level terminals the system cuts out because it thinks the fluid is low when it’s not

·
Registered
168 Posts
You said they sent a new controller and sensor but it doesn't work unless the sensor is bypassed (basically)? Have you verified it is wired correctly for the signal type going through the sensor (1-5V, ground, mA)? Water or water/methanol doesn't have near the conductivity as the copper wire does so if the signal getting to the sensor is weak it could explain why it only works how you show.

For the other stuff maybe you can post up the wiring diagrams and what you can get pictures of your wiring so we can possibly help more.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You said they sent a new controller and sensor but it doesn't work unless the sensor is bypassed (basically)?
Yes, that is correct. Yesterday they had me run a wire across the sensor prongs and fit back into the tank. This cures the issue too as its still essentially bypassing the sensor.

Have you verified it is wired correctly for the signal type going through the sensor (1-5V, ground, mA)?
I've checked the wiring from the loom plug that goes into the controller to the 2 pin plug loom that connects to the sensor, there are only 2 wires from the controller and they are connected ok.
All i did here was a continuity test to ensure that the paths were not connected incorrectly.
AEM said that the single red flash can be caused by not having sufficient ground and power connectivity but the 2 cables are wired direct to the battery terminals as the install states.
They now say that the fluid mix may be causing the issue but there are loads of people on various forums with aem kit running everything from 50\50 to 70\30 mix.

Water or water/methanol doesn't have near the conductivity as the copper wire does so if the signal getting to the sensor is weak it could explain why it only works how you show.
I asked aem for resistance values when testing the sensors and they say they cant give any as it varies.

For the other stuff maybe you can post up the wiring diagrams and what you can get pictures of your wiring so we can possibly help more.
This is the failsafe dia provided by aem support, i have added detail on where the wiring taps in.

Electronic boost controller in this case is the ECU.
Boost control solenoid in this case is the OE BCS.
I have a relay mounted under the scuttle panel.

The bcs has 2 wires, one is switched 12v and the other is the signal. The aem failsafe works on a low side trigger not hotside, this is what i understand from the docs.
The signal wire is cut and passed through the relay as detailed below. The switched 12v is tapped to feed the power to the relay, i have also tried a cable straight from the battery, still the same.
The point is, it all works but the trigger seems to activate for no obvious reason. I can get full boost and pump operation (obviously with the sensor plug bridged) and after couple runs my boost is cut to wastegate spring pressure (14 psi).
I'll just leave this disconnected to be honest, the main issue i have and the one that prevents the system operating, is the sensor issue.

I've spent a lot of money to have this supplied and fitted by a tuning co and it hasnt worked since day one.
I now dont have the confidence to run a race type map in case it packs up mid acceleration and destroys my engine.

I have emailed Adam at tuneplus (i have his lieftime tune) and unfortunately he's not experienced any of these issues.
Getting really cheesed off with this all now

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The green wire was connected to the BCS signal wire.
That aside the main issue is unless I bridge the sensor level terminals the system cuts out because it thinks the fluid is low when it’s not
Right. But what I’m saying is if you don’t run a failsafe, the pump and WMI system will continue to run and operate even when you are low on fluid. All the system does is flash once to let you know the tank is low. So regardless of what your controller is seeing, the system should still attempt to operate just fine.

I don’t know what BCS is, but what your describing is that it’s going in to limp mode essentially. So what I’m saying is disconnect the fail safe system and try. It is probably just kicking on unnecessarily

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. But what I’m saying is if you don’t run a failsafe, the pump and WMI system will continue to run and operate even when you are low on fluid. All the system does is flash once to let you know the tank is low. So regardless of what your controller is seeing, the system should still attempt to operate just fine.

I don’t know what BCS is, but what your describing is that it’s going in to limp mode essentially. So what I’m saying is disconnect the fail safe system and try. It is probably just kicking on unnecessarily
BCS is boost control solenoid its what controls the wastegate pressure along with the actuator. With just the spring it will open at its spring pressure, the bcs is used to hold the gate closed past this spring pressure.
I have disconnected the failsafe and will leave off for now, i need to solve the issue with the fluid level sensor and the pump cutting out.
I'm unable to rely on the installers as they dont seem to be able to help either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My fluid level sensor went out in my evo after like 4 years of it in it I ran 100% meth and it was the V2 kit I just bridged and said screw it if I can’t be fussed to pop the trunk ever couple of days to check the fluid level then I had no business running meth…
Im not saying you shouldn’t be running meth I’m just saying I would keep it bypassed and top it off every few days

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would keep it bypassed and top it off every few days
I have considered this.
I’m getting the issue even when I had boost juice and just water in the tank

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have considered this.
I’m getting the issue even when I had boost juice and just water in the tank
It worked fine in my evo ix for 3 years till I sold it and from what I know they guy that bought it is still running it that way

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks to @320icar for posting the troubleshooting page we know that your system is not operating as AEM says it should since your pump quits running from just a low fluid warning. Then looking at your drawing with the relay pole numbers I wonder if the relay is wired up correctly. Can you get a picture of the relay cube (looking for the wiring/pole layout diagram) and then a picture of the base and how its wired? The diagram also doesn't show how the pump is wired (does it come straight from the controller)?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi
I don’t have pic but I have already verified the wires connect to the numbered terminals, it works but triggers for no obvious reason. The failsafe is not part of the man issue I’m sure as with it disconnected the same still happens until the sensor plug terminals are bridged, bypassing the sensor.

the pump wiring comes from the controller to the rear of the car and are soldered to the pump tail wires with correct polarity. The original connections were poor so I re soldered them.

I think adams call of replacing the whole kit is best and waiting for aem to let me know.

Reactions: jefferysanders

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

aem asked me to remove the kit and send back to them.
Stripping out the controller wiring I found this

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You paid a reputable shop to install this??
Yes I paid a dealer to fit this
Question is why cut and re solder those 4 wires?
I’m starting to think this kit came from another car and was not new?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Following AEMs instructions I ran my setup IAW this diagram. My system worked fine until the boost hose rotted and deteriorated after two years. This setup was run on a ST BTW. The green wire was attached to the AEM boost boost controller since the car ran a big turbo. Yellow wire was run to the solenoid. You sound like your having issues with either the harness grounding out or wires damaged from the way the were run. Where did the run the wiring harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn’t fit it, see above
Think I’ve found the issue

Reactions: Moxboost

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You paid a reputable shop to install this??
They’ve come back to me and see no issues with the soldered connections 🤔

Yellow wire was run to the solenoid.
This just goes to a 12v switched live

QUOTE="Moxboost, post: 2301424, member: 53728"]
You sound like your having issues with either the harness grounding out or wires damaged from the way the were run. Where [/QUOTE]
None that I can see just badly made connections affecting the resistance in the wire most likely

1 - 18 of 18 Posts