Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone(s) with more experience working with WMI can give me their opinions here. I'm curious as to how the car would improve or suffer from running WMI on the stock tune. My initial, noob thinking is that the reduction in charge temps and the cleaning of valves would only help the car run better and healthier, even if peak HP/TQ won't change. The car will have reduced knock, it'll run aggressive timings, I could keep the stock tune for warranty reasons. Seems like a win win win if it works like that. And it's pretty cheap while supplementing the roles of a better FMIC and catch cans (kinda). However, there are some variables that I don't have the answer to. How will the stock tune respond to increased octane? If you have to significantly decrease the methanol injection, the temp reduction might be negligible. I dunno, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You can run meth without tuning for it no problem. You'll get the benefits you listed. Stock tune should respond by giving you full OEM spark advance for timing and hit it's load targets consistently. Just make sure you inject the appropriate amount (with nozzle sizing) to not inject too much as you mentioned.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Andy at Livernois Motorsports said "We never use pre throttle body meth anymore on ecoboost applications because the manifold distribution for fluid is abysmal". Direct 4 port injection was what they recommended to me. However, I know a few members are using pre throttle body meth so it can't be that bad. For your purposes as supplemental only, it will most likely work fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can run meth without tuning for it no problem. You'll get the benefits you listed. Stock tune should respond by giving you full OEM spark advance for timing and hit it's load targets consistently. Just make sure you inject the appropriate amount (with nozzle sizing) to not inject too much as you mentioned.
WMI seems like it has a lot of benefits even aside from the performance. Why wouldnt everyone want to run it? Keeping up with it I guess.

What makes you think Ford would keep your warranty with WMI?
I doubt they would, but it's a reversible mod. If my engine blew up and I had to get it towed to the dealer with WMI installed, yeah I'm probably SOL. But if I start having problems I want to take it in for, could just remove it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
WMI seems like it has a lot of benefits even aside from the performance. Why wouldnt everyone want to run it? Keeping up with it I guess.

I doubt they would, but it's a reversible mod. If my engine blew up and I had to get it towed to the dealer with WMI installed, yeah I'm probably SOL. But if I start having problems I want to take it in for, could just remove it.
I agree. It has a lot of easy to attain benefits. Most people shy away IMO because of unfamiliarity, fear of a pump failure or something going wrong (even though you risk the same thing with port injection e85 setups), and the fact that methanol is pretty nasty stuff to handle compared to ethanol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ran 60/40 methanol in my evo for about 5 years. Never had a problem until I did - the controller shorted out and started spraying full blast at part throttle, ended up slightly hydrolocking which damaged a rod. That rod eventually exited the engine block.

Methanol has many benefits and isn't THAT bad to keep topped off. But it is a failure point that WILL fail eventually because most of the equipment isn't tested for long term use of the fluid. Seals leak after a few years, controllers short out. The pump was actually the most stable part of my system. So if you do go that route and plan to keep the car for awhile, go with someone like livernois who will stand by their product. I actually used to get my pales and a few spare parts from them, but the kit was a SNOW kit that they didn't support. I've had several tuners turn me away because they wouldn't work with meth at all because of the greater chances of a failure.

Risk/reward tradeoff is entirely up to you, but personally I wouldn't do it unless I was looking to make bigger power. Staying stock and introducing the hassle and potential for failure just to get cleaner valves and maybe a few HP wouldn't be worth it for me coming from where i've been FWIW.

If it were e85 or Meth you were debating, i might go Meth then because e85 is scarce near me.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I've been jacking around with my AEM kit for months and I'm about to bail on it entirely as I upgrade my turbo... It was appealing at first because of all benefits listed above. I installed their Failsafe as well in order to trigger a timing table shift with WMI injection. It has never worked well enough to even get to this point. It has been an incessant series of minor leaks, flow rate issues, nozzle changing, etc. Although it has steam cleaned my intake and valves, it is far from reliable enough IMO. I'm installing my Precision this weekend and I will probably uninstall the WMI entirely, heading to aux fuel and flex. With all the problems I've had I just can't shake the image of a controller short essentially pouring a gallon of liquid into my intake...
---stay tuned for "AEM WMI kit for sale, including multiple nozzles, AEM Failsafe Flow Gauge, a Snow solenoid, etc." -- lol

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I've been jacking around with my AEM kit for months and I'm about to bail on it entirely as I upgrade my turbo... It was appealing at first because of all benefits listed above. I installed their Failsafe as well in order to trigger a timing table shift with WMI injection. It has never worked well enough to even get to this point. It has been an incessant series of minor leaks, flow rate issues, nozzle changing, etc. Although it has steam cleaned my intake and valves, it is far from reliable enough IMO. I'm installing my Precision this weekend and I will probably uninstall the WMI entirely, heading to aux fuel and flex. With all the problems I've had I just can't shake the image of a controller short essentially pouring a gallon of liquid into my intake...
---stay tuned for "AEM WMI kit for sale, including multiple nozzles, AEM Failsafe Flow Gauge, a Snow solenoid, etc." -- lol
You get what you pay for in most instances. Except with mountune lolol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts