Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on this masterpiece please馃槨馃槨
I especially like the bit where the live red cable soldered frays have punctured the sleeving on the white wire, possibly creating a short?

Registered
Looks like they forgot a couple steps after soldering...

Reactions: nicklulu

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paid these sharks a 拢1000 to supply and fit an AEM wmi kit, having all sorts of issues.
The aem controller throws a pump short error and cuts my boost to WG spring pressure.
Every time i call theyre busy lol
When they were trying to get my money speaking was never an issue.

Registered
time to start calling them from a different number maybe? Not that any legitimate business would screen calls but you never know.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Ccrook and nicklulu

Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
This is why you do something simple like this yourself. looks typical for a shady shop.

Registered
Woah! Bonus points for the color matched liquid electrical tape!

I have repaired it now, smooth joint covered with shrink wrap no exposed wire. Wrapped the white wire to insulate that too.
Wow... I had assumed that the bad soldering you had shown was "under" the heat shrink, but I'm now realizing there wasn't even heat shrink of electrical tape used. Even my 7yo knows not to leave wires exposed like that...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow... I had assumed that the bad soldering you had shown was "under" the heat shrink, but I'm now realizing there wasn't even heat shrink of electrical tape used. Even my 7yo knows not to leave wires exposed like that...
It did have shrink wrap, I removed it and found the abomination above lol

Registered
It did have shrink wrap, I removed it and found the abomination above lol
Oh, well, in that case, I don't know what you're so mad about. That wiring is well up to par with my wiring... although I'm a total hack and don't do this for a living lol

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, well, in that case, I don't know what you're so mad about. That wiring is well up to par with my wiring...
It鈥檚 doubtful to me that live cable would handle the current draw and the frayed ends seem to have punctured an adjacent wire.

bit like cutting a rope then tying back together, you鈥檒l lose half the strength of the rope depending on the knot used

Registered
It鈥檚 doubtful to me that live cable would handle the current draw and the frayed ends seem to have punctured an adjacent wire.

bit like cutting a rope then tying back together, you鈥檒l lose half the strength of the rope depending on the knot used
I was trying to be sarcastic, but that obviously gets lost in text haha. Either way, not great work from a "pro".

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was trying to be sarcastic, but that obviously gets lost in text haha.
Ah right I did wonder:D

I鈥檝e seen worse. It isn鈥檛 pretty, could have used a tad more solder on the bottom splice, but at least they didn鈥檛 melt the insulation.
View attachment 351992
I usually use a straight butt joint. Tin up both wires, load the iron with solder and then heat and allow the ends to fuse together. Checked the continuity afterwards with a multimeter to ensure its solid.
Important thing is no sharp frayed ends piercing the shroud and other adjacent wires = no short circuits.
In your picture you still have sharp frayed ends and with solder on them they turn into spears not soft squishy cable.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Premium Member
Just noticed, the black cable shroud seems to be burnt\melted, whats happened there?
Its dust, it was a bit tacky when we took off the old tape. Dust just stuck to it.

I also cut a slit to get more slack for the wire.

After the liquid tape dried, we used insulating non-adhesive tape. So it sticks to itself and no adhesive that gets sticky and falls off eventually.

Reactions: Pezzar

Registered
One of these days I'll give these a try. Should be good for those hard to reach PITA places on a harness. But when I have good access I use the "NASA" splice method.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts