Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys going to use your RS in winter or you are going to use it only in summer time?? Are you scared vs rust and winter vs ford realibility against rust??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Perhaps winter, but I have a truck that will be fully paid off when the RS arrives. So may just use truck in winter and RS for the warmer months, but if I feel the need to use the RS in winter it will require either different tires or different tires AND rims.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I absolutely will be using mine in the winter. I used my STI all winter and the thing is a blast to drive so I see this will be easily that much fun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Perhaps winter, but I have a truck that will be fully paid off when the RS arrives. So may just use truck in winter and RS for the warmer months, but if I feel the need to use the RS in winter it will require either different tires or different tires AND rims.
If you lived in Canada, you would of gotten the rims and winter tires with the RS.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have a rustbucket Miata with winter wheels on it. During the winter when the I can take the Miata, I will. But if we get heavy snow and I need AWD (Indianapolis doesn't believe in snow removal) I'll take the RS without question. I drove my first car for six years through Midwest winters and never saw any signs of rust underneath. On the RS I'll be more cautious and rinse off the underside if I find that Indianapolis has actually put salt down, but to be honest I'm not all that worried.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely using it in the winter! Just gotta decide if I should get the Ford winter wheel package or my own set of 18''s. Anyone have suggestions for the aftermarket size/offset of the rims regarding caliper clearance? I'll probably go with Blizzaks for tires.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Definitely using it in the winter! Just gotta decide if I should get the Ford winter wheel package or my own set of 18''s. Anyone have suggestions for the aftermarket size/offset of the rims regarding caliper clearance? I'll probably go with Blizzaks for tires.
I believe most people are saying an 18x8 with a +45 (+/- 5) "should" clear the caliper

·
Registered
334 Posts
I believe most people are saying an 18x8 with a +45 (+/- 5) "should" clear the caliper
The RS will be my only car, so I'll probably do this to save a few dollars instead of buying the Ford winter package. I don't really need good looking wheels in the snow.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
And the "Should" clear is the big issue as one wheel with +45 offset and 18x8 may fit but the next with those specs may not. It depends of the shape/profile of the "spokes" between the hub mounting surface and the rim of the wheel. This is why I just decided that the winter tire and wheel package was worth it to me. I get a wheel that will fit without stress and its an official RS option. Since my car will be on these wheels most of the time having an RS wheel was preferred to me.

I had this issue with my racecar when I went from a 13x7.5 with 5.5 backspace to a 13x10 with 5.5 backspace. The 13x10 hit the Integra brake bracket I had on the car as the center of the wheel stayed flatter to the mounting surface longer before bending to clear brakes than my old wheels. I wanted the wheels so I ended looking around my garage for other brakes and found a set from a 94 Del Sol that caught fire after one of the piston seized. I mounted them and everything cleared. Pulled off the seized ones and used as cores for a new set. Even better the 94 Del Sol has much better aftermarket pad support than the 87 Integra so I ended up with much better brake pads for auto-x. And yes, my 84 Civic ran 255/40R13 Hoosier A6s on the front and 225/45R13 A6s on 13x8 on the rear while racing. I've been told around the sweepers the car was getting on 2 wheels at times with a flat surface, to bad no one with a camera caught that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
And the "Should" clear is the big issue as one wheel with +45 offset and 18x8 may fit but the next with those specs may not. It depends of the shape/profile of the "spokes" between the hub mounting surface and the rim of the wheel. This is why I just decided that the winter tire and wheel package was worth it to me. I get a wheel that will fit without stress and its an official RS option. Since my car will be on these wheels most of the time having an RS wheel was preferred to me.

I had this issue with my racecar when I went from a 13x7.5 with 5.5 backspace to a 13x10 with 5.5 backspace. The 13x10 hit the Integra brake bracket I had on the car as the center of the wheel stayed flatter to the mounting surface longer before bending to clear brakes than my old wheels. I wanted the wheels so I ended looking around my garage for other brakes and found a set from a 94 Del Sol that caught fire after one of the piston seized. I mounted them and everything cleared. Pulled off the seized ones and used as cores for a new set. Even better the 94 Del Sol has much better aftermarket pad support than the 87 Integra so I ended up with much better brake pads for auto-x. And yes, my 84 Civic ran 255/40R13 Hoosier A6s on the front and 225/45R13 A6s on 13x8 on the rear while racing. I've been told around the sweepers the car was getting on 2 wheels at times with a flat surface, to bad no one with a camera caught that.
Yeah I may just splurge for Ford's package so I have a set that I know won't give me any problems.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Are you guys going to use your RS in winter or you are going to use it only in summer time?? Are you scared vs rust and winter vs ford realibility against rust??
It's gonna be my year round car, I was hoping to enjoy it with winter in full effect, but it appears my dealer is gonna be right with a late June delivery. I'm not to worried about rust but will keep a close eye on it. Maybe a good undercoating and a close inspection from time to time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the RS will be a great winter car, can't wait to put the AWD system to work on a snow filled road. And for the salt, my brother drives a 2006 Audi RS4 Avant and it shows no sign of rust, as long as you take care of the car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't keep my cars too long and the most I see keeping the RS would be around 5 years, or until there is a sufficient replacement. I will use it all year round, through everything nature throws at it. I could just get a beater but honestly I like driving these kind of cars in the snow, with proper tires and some skill you can have some real fun. I actually get excited when it snows and can't wait to take my ST out and have some fun, the RS will be no different.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think the RS will be a great winter car, can't wait to put the AWD system to work on a snow filled road. And for the salt, my brother drives a 2006 Audi RS4 Avant and it shows no sign of rust, as long as you take care of the car.
What does he do to keep the rust at bay from the salt? Does he do anything outside of washing the underbody?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My plan is to drive her only when the temps are above 40 degrees. The salt use here is terrible :( My 2009 Dodge Ram only lasted 6.5 years before the salt got to the rocker panels. Now I'm leasing a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat. So I am using the truck for my winter rat lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Maybe down the line I'll pick up a beater Toyota Corolla or something for the winter but for now the FoRS will be my year round car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
100% for sure driving in the winter. All wheel drive with no computer nannies or traction control....awesome! I will get to play with the drift mode soooo much more in the winter than summer. Actually I don't know if I will ever get a real chance to check out the drift mode on dry summer pavement come to think of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
Predator
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing