Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How warm can it get before I should put my summer tires back on? I want to get as much use out of them as possible as they're rated for 45k miles and I definitely won't put close to that on them in the winter alone. This being said, I also don't wanna just melt them on the road. Most of my driving is short trips in town. Only drive about 650 miles a month.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Winter tires are meant for temps 40 and under. Once it's consistently warmer than that at night is when I switch. I'm in PA, probably gonna switch in April-May.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The weather this week in the Midwest makes this conversation highly relevant. I was very tempted to mount the summer wheels this week when the evening temperatures were expected to exceed 60 degrees every day. Then I remembered it is still February. :rollseyes: With these warmer temperatures you will probably lose a little tread life and noticeable traction. Not anything to worry about necessarily, but one should be a little more careful than usual when driving in warmer weather on winter tires.

:driving:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
When temperatures get to high for winter rubber, they get slippery. There is a sharp reduction in grip as temperatures rise accompanied by a sharp increase in tire wear. Where this point falls for each tire is dependent on the compound, but it's generally high enough to not be a concern for these odd 60 degree days. Or weeks... But TireRack is running an #UnsafeBelow45 ad campaign for winter tires, that's the number that I'd use to switch back.

I would say that you should swap them out when there is no longer a chance of snow, but here in Indiana it snowed in April last year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in KC, and I've been itching to put the summers on since I picked up the car (1/21) - there has been no snow in sight, and most of the temps have been friendly enough for the summer tires. Of course there's always a chance of getting a round of snow in March or April, but it sure is looking less likely.

If you have the winters and summers mounted on their own set of wheels, then you can always swap back should it look bad. That's what I have, and that's my rationale for changing to summers after this coming weekend cold front goes away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm glad this was brought up as I was wondering myself. It's definitely too early here in Pittsburgh to switch to the summer tires. It's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow and then back to freezing on Saturday. I'd rather run winter tires in warmer temps than summer tires in cold temps though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I switched to the summers but I have both winter and summer mounted on different wheels. So I can quickly do it myself

If I didn't have them mounted on separate wheels I definitely wouldn't have switched because I am probably going to switch them back this weekend depending on the forecast.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
In the high 60s (NE area) last couple of days and the winter package tires are indeed slippery under boost...Never thought a 2.3L would spin the tires going into 2nd gear...And my bad to the poster who mention this late last year and I rebuffed him/her that a 4 banger didn't have enough TQ...As soon as I put on the cup2 the temps are going back into the 30s

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I switched to the summers but I have both winter and summer mounted on different wheels. So I can quickly do it myself

If I didn't have them mounted on separate wheels I definitely wouldn't have switched because I am probably going to switch them back this weekend depending on the forecast.
I have two sets but I guess I'm being lazy

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
When temperatures get to high for winter rubber, they get slippery. There is a sharp reduction in grip as temperatures rise accompanied by a sharp increase in tire wear. Where this point falls for each tire is dependent on the compound, but it's generally high enough to not be a concern for these odd 60 degree days. Or weeks... But TireRack is running an #UnsafeBelow45 ad campaign for winter tires, that's the number that I'd use to switch back.

I would say that you should swap them out when there is no longer a chance of snow, but here in Indiana it snowed in April last year.
This is basically my life all winter in Norcal. Where I live, evening temps in 30-40s, early AM can be as cold as 28, as warm as 50, daytimes 50-60, but then I drive up to ski on the weekends and temps are 0-32 degrees depending times of day. The PA4 Pilot Alpins are really good for this kind of thing. Perform well in the warms (I am not pushing them like crazy in the DD so they are fine and wear is not bad at all), and in the wet/rain - very good, but then GREAT in the snow. And we have had some crazy a** snow this winter. Zero issues.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
True studless snow/ice tires will be a major problem. In fact, studless snow/ice tires don't do well on dry pavement even when its cold. They sacrifice a ton of dry/clean road grip to give you the excellent snow/ice traction they are known for.

This also means that driving them on dry / clean pavement is like putting a cheese block to a cheese grater. It wears them horribly fast.

If you dont' get a ton of snow, then you are better off with a set of performance winters like ford put in the winter package. I have the PA4's and even on the 50° days they drive very much like an all season tire and provide excellent grip along with good winter condition traction.

I'm glad this year I went with performance snows. Even on the horrible days I was still blasting past everyone on all season's.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Living in SE Michigan I ordered the Winter Tire and Wheel Package at the time of RS order ($1995). I expect to get the RS within ten days. At that time I will install performance All Season tires on the 18" 'winter wheels' and take a $60 minimum credit for the unused winter tires at Discount Tire. I find that I have no need for winter tires in SE Michigan. I bought the T & W package to get the Ford 18" wheels. Now I will have summer and 'all year' tires for traveling throughout much of the country. The summer tires will be electable at any time I desire. I did use winter tires when living in Northern Michigan.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Living in SE Michigan I ordered the Winter Tire and Wheel Package at the time of RS order ($1995). I expect to get the RS within ten days. At that time I will install performance All Season tires on the 18" 'winter wheels' and take a $60 minimum credit for the unused winter tires at Discount Tire. I find that I have no need for winter tires in SE Michigan. I bought the T & W package to get the Ford 18" wheels. Now I will have summer and 'all year' tires for traveling throughout much of the country. The summer tires will be electable at any time I desire. I did use winter tires when living in Northern Michigan.
As @thirdgen89gta said the PA4's are a performance winter tire. Their compound is not much softer than a snow focused all season. Even now when it's oddly 70* in PA they handle fine under normal driving. I definitely wouldn't give up brand new PA4's to spend $800 on all seasons IMO. But you do you...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
As @thirdgen89gta said the PA4's are a performance winter tire. Their compound is not much softer than a snow focused all season. Even now when it's oddly 70* in PA they handle fine under normal driving. I definitely wouldn't give up brand new PA4's to spend $800 on all seasons IMO. But you do you...
As said Apples/Oranges.

wintertire.png

wintertire 2.png

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Not using the PA4's is just a waste of money. Especially since you paid $2000 for those.

I spent $1400 on my combo, I have a set of Sport Edition P4 rims, mounted with the 225 PA4's that is OEM spec. My combo was $1400 shipped to my door.

If you sell your PA4's you are going to do so at a significant hit. The dealer will mount/balance the winter set for free, that is paid for already in your purchase price.

Then you will need to purchase a set of tires, and pay for those to be mounted and balanced separately.

The PA4's do wonderfully on cold dry pavement. In 0° weather on dry pavement they will blow the doors off any all season tire. And in heavy snow they will still blow the doors off a all season set. And when the day is 50° because mother nature is just being drunk, those PA4's will still provide excellent traction and drivability without extra wear over an All season.

PA4's drive EXACTLY like an all season tire, they just like temps to stay below 40°, but they aren't really hurt by the odd 55° day here and there. I wouldn't ever use them as a summer tire, but they are a great winter tire if you don't get much snow, or just have a really mild winter.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not using the PA4's is just a waste of money. Especially since you paid $2000 for those.

I spent $1400 on my combo, I have a set of Sport Edition P4 rims, mounted with the 225 PA4's that is OEM spec. My combo was $1400 shipped to my door.

If you sell your PA4's you are going to do so at a significant hit. The dealer will mount/balance the winter set for free, that is paid for already in your purchase price.

Then you will need to purchase a set of tires, and pay for those to be mounted and balanced separately.

The PA4's do wonderfully on cold dry pavement. In 0° weather on dry pavement they will blow the doors off any all season tire. And in heavy snow they will still blow the doors off a all season set. And when the day is 50° because mother nature is just being drunk, those PA4's will still provide excellent traction and drivability without extra wear over an All season.

PA4's drive EXACTLY like an all season tire, they just like temps to stay below 40°, but they aren't really hurt by the odd 55° day here and there. I wouldn't ever use them as a summer tire, but they are a great winter tire if you don't get much snow, or just have a really mild winter.
Thanks, fellers, I have decided to stay with the PA4's. The $1000 saved will be spent on an upper level hotel for two weeks while out in sunny southern California this month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts