Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states. Today the windshield washer pump took a vacation today.

My RS sits idle for a few days at a time. Today was the first time I had a chance to take her out since last Friday.

I go to wash off the yellow greenish crap(pollen) that this city is covered in... I pull the lever towards me, the wipers do their thing while the pump makes it's usual noise but no juice is spit all over the windshield. I think "Hmm, That's odd". I go under the hood to look for the big on/off switch to make it work again. I open the lid of the washer fluid reservoir, I guess it's empty. I go in the house to get more, it only takes a pint or so. I get back in the car to see if I solved the problem..... Nothing, just dragging my wipers all over my dry pollen covered windshield..... Over and over... This went on for about 5 minutes before I finally gave up, because I have someplace to be. I tried the rear washer too, same results. Nada.

Later, I try a few more times... It makes all of the right noises, but no fluid. I look under the car to see if it's making a puddle... Nothing. No washer fluid smell, no burnt up pump smell either even though I can clearly hear it working like it usually does. Just no fluid. Then on my way home... I give it one more try, before I start the whole cleaning process I go through every time I have to let other people start crawling all over my car. It works!!!!!!!!! I guess it healed it's self. It's a Miracle. Praise the baby Jesus(Jeremy Clarkson Voice).

Seriously, This has happened one other time that I can remember with this car in the last 9 months I've owned this car. Just not as stubborn as this time. I really thought it was dealer time. I didn't want the reason the front bumper and headlights to come off to be for something stupid like this. New inter-cooler sure, stupid washer fluid thingy not so much.

I've checked the hose that goes to the sprayers.. it looks fine, no obvious kinks or splits. The Sprayers seem to be fine too, even though I hate them with a deep burning passion. They always make the hood look like the car is crying if I use them while the car isn't moving. poor design.

As far as I can remember my ST never had this problem.

Anyone else having this problem. I know it's small and stupid, it is very annoying.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like air in the line. You can try purging a few line volumes of water thru the windshield and hatch sprayers to push the air out.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to the dealer to have the front of the car taken apart tomorrow..... ugh.

All it does is pee on the hood now. It won't even make it to the windshield.

I hope they don't scratch the hell out of it doing this stupid thing.... I also hope this isn't a RS specific part. That would suck.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Just as the title states. Today the windshield washer pump took a vacation today.

My RS sits idle for a few days at a time. Today was the first time I had a chance to take her out since last Friday.

I go to wash off the yellow greenish crap(pollen) that this city is covered in... I pull the lever towards me, the wipers do their thing while the pump makes it's usual noise but no juice is spit all over the windshield. I think "Hmm, That's odd". I go under the hood to look for the big on/off switch to make it work again. I open the lid of the washer fluid reservoir, I guess it's empty. I go in the house to get more, it only takes a pint or so. I get back in the car to see if I solved the problem..... Nothing, just dragging my wipers all over my dry pollen covered windshield..... Over and over... This went on for about 5 minutes before I finally gave up, because I have someplace to be. I tried the rear washer too, same results. Nada.

Later, I try a few more times... It makes all of the right noises, but no fluid. I look under the car to see if it's making a puddle... Nothing. No washer fluid smell, no burnt up pump smell either even though I can clearly hear it working like it usually does. Just no fluid. Then on my way home... I give it one more try, before I start the whole cleaning process I go through every time I have to let other people start crawling all over my car. It works!!!!!!!!! I guess it healed it's self. It's a Miracle. Praise the baby Jesus(Jeremy Clarkson Voice).

Seriously, This has happened one other time that I can remember with this car in the last 9 months I've owned this car. Just not as stubborn as this time. I really thought it was dealer time. I didn't want the reason the front bumper and headlights to come off to be for something stupid like this. New inter-cooler sure, stupid washer fluid thingy not so much.

I've checked the hose that goes to the sprayers.. it looks fine, no obvious kinks or splits. The Sprayers seem to be fine too, even though I hate them with a deep burning passion. They always make the hood look like the car is crying if I use them while the car isn't moving. poor design.

Anyone else having this problem. I know it's small and stupid, it is very annoying.
Wow, exciting. You dodged a bullet there.
Reminds me of the time I had a similar issue with my wipers which would sometimes wipe and then stop wipe and then stop. Took it to the dealer and complained and he said they were intermittent. I said I know and I want you to fix them and he said he couldnt as it was a design fault. Very annoying, anyone else complain about this?

Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, exciting. You dodged a bullet there.
Reminds me of the time I had a similar issue with my wipers which would sometimes wipe and then stop wipe and then stop. Took it to the dealer and complained and he said they were intermittent. I said I know and I want you to fix them and he said he couldnt as it was a design fault. Very annoying, anyone else complain about this?

Ciao
I'm just trying to shed some light on a problem I'm having with this car. Yes I know it's super minor.

The other reason I started this silly post was to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Believe me, I know this isn't as exciting as new exhaust, lowering springs, and a superior tune. Nor is it as extreme as PTU leaks, and cracked blocks. I get that.

But since I seem to be the only one in the entire community to experience this problem. I thought I'd try to give others the benefit of any experiences that will come from remedying the problem as annoying as it is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In the 2015 F150, I had the exact same problem. There was a TSB for an inline check valve that would freeze and not allow the fluid through. Obviously if you have pollen, I doubt freezing is the issue, but I'm pretty sure they still use a check valve on the RS. The unofficial fix was to drill the check valve out. (Since it was a TSB, parts were backordered for months, so I couldn't wait.) I never had a problem after drilling mine out. The hole is super small inside the check valve. Even a piece of dirt or something could plug it. Just something to look into. I don't like taking my car to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
185 Posts

My ST did the same thing and it turned out to be a build up of algae or some funk on a filter or screen not allowing fluid to get to the pump. Easy fix at the dealer and it never did it again.
Russtang

Reactions: EvanRyan

·
Registered
26 Posts
My ST did the same thing and it turned out to be a build up of algae or some funk on a filter or screen not allowing fluid to get to the pump. Easy fix at the dealer and it never did it again.
Russtang
my 2017 RS has this issue now. I don’t drive it often, only 15k , but it doesn’t sit for months and months w/o driving. BUT I almost never use the washers. I went to the dealer about this and first they just filled it and sent me on my Way, then I complain it didn’t work and they tried to blow it out, but then said it’s clogged and they’d have to take it all apart take the front end off etc. to fix it.

nothing about it sounded easy or like it would be quick it sounded like it was going to be $500 just to get the wipers working. This seems like a serious scam or design flaw. How can a closed system clog and especially on the strainer? it seems like it’s designed to fail.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe your inlet filter got slimed like mine:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts