Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
@Aracheon do you know what type of windshield you got?

I was going to get a regular focus windshield installed today but the tech noticed that the mirror mount on the new windshield was a lot lower than the one that came on my RS (besides all the useless plastic crap). From 4-5" from the headliner to 9" from the headliner.

Is your mirror lower now?

·
Registered
328 Posts
@Aracheon do you know what type of windshield you got?

I was going to get a regular focus windshield installed today but the tech noticed that the mirror mount on the new windshield was a lot lower than the one that came on my RS (besides all the useless plastic crap). From 4-5" from the headliner to 9" from the headliner.

Is your mirror lower now?

Just a regular windshield out of a 2015 Focus. I did have to buy a different mirror (obviously), but the mount seems to be in the correct place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@Aracheon appreciate the photo! Ended up not getting the windshield they brought installed. The mirror would of sat ridiculously low in comparison to the rs specific windshield. Gonna try to find another.

·
Registered
328 Posts
@Aracheon appreciate the photo! Ended up not getting the windshield they brought installed. The mirror would of sat ridiculously low in comparison to the rs specific windshield. Gonna try to find another.
Makes me think that maybe they put the mount in the wrong place. A regular Focus windshield should work just fine on our car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I also just got a big chip today and would love to replace my windshield and mirror with a 2017 RS or even better a mirror with auto dimming and home link! I did notice the 2017 mirror sits very low. What is the best solution ?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I would love to swap it out with a 2017 mirror. Would make Radar and other stuff so much easier to mount.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Does that windshield use the more popular mount for rearview mirror so I can get an aftermarket? anyone have part number for 2017 RS windshield? The mirrors have been like that so long in Focii and I drive them almost every day so the placement shouldn't bother me. I'm coming up with BM5Z-5803100-D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Windshield damage is covered by comprehensive, unless you paid cash for your car, I'm sure you have full coverage. If you have a deductible higher that $100 for comprehensive, then change it. Going to a 100 from a 500 on comprehensive will cost you about a whopping 20-30 bucks a year.

Further, a comprehensive claim does nothing to your insurance rates. Comon people, think.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I don't but in MA theres no deductible for glass. I'm just glad it didn't hit paint. I just had it detailed the day before!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same issue

Thanks to all for your input. Here is how the problem was solved. Safelite installed a US Ford windshield intended for a Focus model such as the ST. That windshield comes from Ford with a mirror mount that does not accept the Euro-spec mirror. We substituted an aftermarket mirror of identical size and type. The result is better than original in my opinion because it gets rid of the vision obstruction caused by the rain sensor bracket and cover. The US RS does not have a rain sensor so all that plastic stuff is not needed. My cost in Longmont Colorado was $377.
I know this is an old thread, but still relevant. Hopefully someone has new/ updated information.

I am trying to have my 2016 windshield replaced, but at the glass companies I have dealt with ALL have separate listings for the RS. The known difference is the sensor bay is not on a US model, but THE SPECS/DIMENSIONS ARE ALSO DIFFERENT.

The glass company just received the US glass and sure enough, it has different dimensions from the OEM glass. The difference appeared to be less than an inch or so, but that makes the difference in fitting and fitting correctly.

Can anyone that has replaced the windshield tell of their experience/options. I ask this because ALL OF THE GLASS COMPANIES I HAVE DEALT WITH SAY A US MODEL (of any kind) WILL NOT FIT ???

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Forget the RS windshield. Go with a regular Focus one. Only cost me $200 and change + $50 for a new eyebrow.
Chris,

Anyway to give the#/location of where you got this done ? Possibly glass brand name and #’s ? All my local shops are saying there is a difference in sizes between the US spec and has RS specific glass and the cost is double.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a regular windshield out of a 2015 Focus. I did have to buy a different mirror (obviously), but the mount seems to be in the correct place.

Anyway you can send me a picture of the glass makers stamp close to the vin#, trying to replace mine, but all local companies say it won’t work.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi ARSO,

In a separate thread about replacing the windshield I show the solution that worked for me (with model numbers). Sorry I am not able to link the thread here directly but if you search the forum for a thread named "Looking for a replacement windshield for your later-production Focus RS? Here it is" look at post 28.

Hope this helps!

- VP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to all for your input. Here is how the problem was solved. Safelite installed a US Ford windshield intended for a Focus model such as the ST. That windshield comes from Ford with a mirror mount that does not accept the Euro-spec mirror. We substituted an aftermarket mirror of identical size and type. The result is better than original in my opinion because it gets rid of the vision obstruction caused by the rain sensor bracket and cover. The US RS does not have a rain sensor so all that plastic stuff is not needed. My cost in Longmont Colorado was $377.
Can you share the Safelite location you went in Longmont and the person you dealt with. I am in Longmont and I have visited the one in Main Street twice already. They have no idea how to fix this issue. They ordered one for the regular Focus and the dimensions turned out to be few centimeters off along with the mirror bracket being few inches down from the RS position.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts