Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My week-old RS suffered a broken windshield. The local auto glass shop cannot find a matching windshield. The dealer can order one for $450 without installation. Here is the question: Will a standard US Focus windshield fit?

The only thing special on the RS windshield is a bracket below the mirror for a rain sensor but that sensor is not installed on US models. The car would be better without that bracket and the associated blackout on the windshield.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't fit that's unfortunate to hear

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's too bad, I'm not sure if they are the same size. If your dealer can't find it, it might be rather difficult to get that information from Ford.

Maybe contact someone at Safelite and ask if the Euro shell cars have the same windshield size. I think they are a sister company with Belron, which is a European glass company, they could have access to their information.

Hopefully the US windshields will work, that plastic cover is ugly and I would really like to remove it and not have tint there either.

Good luck man, sorry I don't have more info for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your input. Here is how the problem was solved. Safelite installed a US Ford windshield intended for a Focus model such as the ST. That windshield comes from Ford with a mirror mount that does not accept the Euro-spec mirror. We substituted an aftermarket mirror of identical size and type. The result is better than original in my opinion because it gets rid of the vision obstruction caused by the rain sensor bracket and cover. The US RS does not have a rain sensor so all that plastic stuff is not needed. My cost in Longmont Colorado was $377.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My week-old RS suffered a broken windshield. The local auto glass shop cannot find a matching windshield. The dealer can order one for $450 without installation. Here is the question: Will a standard US Focus windshield fit?

The only thing special on the RS windshield is a bracket below the mirror for a rain sensor but that sensor is not installed on US models. The car would be better without that bracket and the associated blackout on the windshield.

Thanks guys
Just had the same issue. Got a crack at the base of the windshield today and it's starting to spread towards the driver's side. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, waiting to hear back from my insurance. It's good to hear that I can go with any Focus windshield at least.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have thought about replacing my prefectly good RS windshield with an ST windshield because of all the stuff the RS windshield blocks - mirror mounted radar detectors, dashcams, external GPS sensors and more...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have thought about replacing my prefectly good RS windshield with an ST windshield because of all the stuff the RS windshield blocks - mirror mounted radar detectors, dashcams, external GPS sensors and more...
It really wouldn't be worth it to me to pull a good windshield and risk messing up the paint and trim panels. Losing the rain sensor plastic and tint behind it is a nice silver lining, though!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Interesting... Non-impact cracks aren't covered under warranty? Also, I think the plastic housing behind the mirror has a light sensor inside of it.. I notice the Sync system going to night mode when that spot gets shaded.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interesting... Non-impact cracks aren't covered under warranty? Also, I think the plastic housing behind the mirror has a light sensor inside of it.. I notice the Sync system going to night mode when that spot gets shaded.
I don't see any wiring coming out from under the cover but I haven't taken it off and actually looked either.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
There's nothing behind the cover. The light sensor is elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't see any wiring coming out from under the cover but I haven't taken it off and actually looked either.
Light sensor is on the dash pad, dead center at the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Thanks guys
Hey @Woody . I seem to have a different windshield on my RS and it's US spec. I'm trying to figure out why my mirror is different. Here is the link to the thread http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/2942-interior-center-rear-view-mirror-3.html#post477721 (edit) I just realized you got it fixed.

Reactions: RwardRS

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ah man, I looked closer on my commute today... there's the gap for the cable to go inside the housing and everything, even the hole in the black shading on the windshield... but there's no cable going in, and nothing inside that housing! Haha... that's fantastic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
@Woody - where in Longmont did you go, and how good of a job did they do? The rock chip in my windshield has spread rather rapidly, and I need to just suck it up and get the damn thing replaced. :(

·
Registered
730 Posts

Thanks guys

Was the crack in the corner by the vin plate?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just talked w safelite, quoted me $550 for a RS specific W/S

plus we have w/s tint, another $100

·
Registered
328 Posts
Forget the RS windshield. Go with a regular Focus one. Only cost me $200 and change + $50 for a new eyebrow.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts