Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Ok I've never tinted before but I definitely want to tint my RS's windows. I'm having trouble getting perspective on how dark each percentage is. Most pics i see on the internet are viewing from inside the car. I'm still wanting people to see into the car (sort of), but just want darker windows to make the car pop a little more with that Nitrous Blue (all about them aesthetics).

I'm thinking 35% is a little too dark (also I'd like to stay legal- 35% max tint in KY) but so many people are saying 50% is way too light. Do any of you have issues seeing out of your car with darker tints at night? And if any of you have pics of your tint I'd love to see it to gain a little more perspective on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You won't have issues seeing out of 35% at night. The lightest I ever go is 15% and I don't have issues backing up, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
35% is too light. I changed my 35% out to 20%, which isn't legal in Illinois, but seems to be tolerated by police since you can still see into the car. Don't even bother with 50%. SUV's with factory tint for the backseat and trunk are at 20%, if that gives you a better idea of what it looks like. If you want to stay legal, stick with the 35%. It's better then no tint.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Video of my NB RS with 50% ceramic all around. Rejects a ton of heat which is why I got it. I don't care about the privacy aspect of tint. Just want the car to stay cool.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hey guys! Ok I've never tinted before but I definitely want to tint my RS's windows. I'm having trouble getting perspective on how dark each percentage is. Most pics i see on the internet are viewing from inside the car. I'm still wanting people to see into the car (sort of), but just want darker windows to make the car pop a little more with that Nitrous Blue (all about them aesthetics).

I'm thinking 35% is a little too dark (also I'd like to stay legal- 35% max tint in KY) but so many people are saying 50% is way too light. Do any of you have issues seeing out of your car with darker tints at night? And if any of you have pics of your tint I'd love to see it to gain a little more perspective on this. Thanks!
Based on your description, what you want is 35%.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
50 is to light. You'll see fine with 35 and it'll give you "that look" with the NB. I'm with you. The NB and tint were made for each other.

Personally going with 20, but it's legal in WA.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 18% on the sides, 30% on the rear, and 70% on the front. I have no problems with visibility at night. The reason I went with a lighter tint on the rear was because the few times I've been pulled over, in any of my cars, was because I couldn't see the police car at night behind me.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I always do a light windshield with a visor strip and medium the rest of the way around. I'm not going into percentages as all films vary. The combination gives a darker than it really is effect, and the light shield makes night driving much more comfortable for me.

Tinted windshields are hella illegal here in Ca, but the visor strip fools even overly attentive coppers.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I had 25% put on 2 days ago. I like the look and it doesn't seem to dark to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
35% is too light. I changed my 35% out to 20%, which isn't legal in Illinois, but seems to be tolerated by police since you can still see into the car. Don't even bother with 50%. SUV's with factory tint for the backseat and trunk are at 20%, if that gives you a better idea of what it looks like. If you want to stay legal, stick with the 35%. It's better then no tint.
Can you post pics of your 20%?

Thinking of changing out my 40% for 20%.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Going with 20%.

It's not legal here, but never was bothered before with my other cars. 35 is too light IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is 20% all the way around with 40% on the front windshield.
20161105_171141#1.jpeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is from Auto One In Louisville. I have not been pulled over with it. Not sure of the %. Lighter than "limo" maybe one shade darker than legal. They have done a nice job on my last 4 vehicles.

IMG_20160718_172748857_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had 35% 3M color stable on my black ST. Felt it was a smidge too "mirror-y" sometimes. Went with 50% 3M color stable on the RS, and I like it. Definitely pretty subtle, but overall feels a bit classier. Pics attached.
IMG_4788.jpg IMG_4831.jpg IMG_4829.jpg

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
If this is your first time tinting I would go 35%, dark enough. That's what I have on my NB. In daylight from a distance the tiny is dark an hard to see into the car. As you get closer you can see into the car however you see sort of silhouette shadows. Personally I think 20% is too dark at night, especially when making turns. I live in the city and plenty of street lights. I still find it difficult to navigate on turns. It's a preference really but just giving yo out my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had 20% on my Mini a few years ago - at times it was slightly dark for backing up, etc., but it looked great. Someone above said they did a 30 or 35% on their rear window, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Regarding getting pulled over - I was pulled over several times in the Mini and I never had trouble from the police (35% is legal here, 20% isn't). I've heard of others who had to have their 20% removed, but I always made sure to have my windows down and interior light on before cops ever got out of their car, and I think that helped to make them not worry about what was going on inside the car.

When my Shadow Black RS gets in, I'm doing 20% all around...and maybe I'll do the 35% trick on the back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
...Someone above said they did a 30 or 35% on their rear window, and that makes a lot of sense to me.
That was me. The RS is the first car I decided to go a little lighter on the rear glass. The window is small, and with the dark interior, I felt would make it difficult at night to see with 18%. From the outside you really can't tell it's lighter because the body of the car seperates the sides and back window nicely.

Reactions: bearthw

·
Registered
232 Posts
Video of my NB RS with 50% ceramic all around. Rejects a ton of heat which is why I got it. I don't care about the privacy aspect of tint. Just want the car to stay cool.

That looks fantastic... my RS on order is white but the more i hear about and see the ceramic coating paint protection, the more i think i need to get it! Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
I had 35% 3M color stable on my black ST. Felt it was a smidge too "mirror-y" sometimes. Went with 50% 3M color stable on the RS, and I like it. Definitely pretty subtle, but overall feels a bit classier. Pics attached.
View attachment 86449 View attachment 86457 View attachment 86465
Definitely like the look of this. Thinking about going 50% 3M Crystalline on all but the windshield, and maybe 70% on the windshield. I've been hassled before for tint on my Civic (which is only like 35% if I remember). I try to avoid the po-po any way I can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts