Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Will you drive your RS in the Winter/Snow?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
If there is snow on the ground I'll pass with the initial MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The FoST has winter tires so I'll be using it instead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll be getting a second set of rims with winter tires day one. The FoRS is going to be a daily year round driver and should not only handle the lake effect snow we get in Cleveland with ease but actually be quite fun in it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Will you be driving your RS in the winter? ...that is, in the snow?
Yes. It'll be my dd. Ordered the winter wheel package and having the car protected underneath before it ever leaves the dealership. Should be fun!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yes. It'll be my dd. Ordered the winter wheel package and having the car protected underneath begore it ever leaves the dealership. Should be fun!

I've thought about this, but everything I've read says that with modern cars rust isn't really an issue any more. I'm still not totally convinced of either side.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The whole reason I found the RS was because I was looking for a manual, AWD, turbo car. I love to snowboard, but I hate to put chains on. I would rather switch to winter wheels the night before I go and not even worry about it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Of course I will.

But I don't have to worry about snow. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
You betcha. Little bit of properly done undercoat and floor mats and it'll be a blast. Winter wheels and tires included in my order. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will for sure be driving mine in the snow! It's also one of my main reasons for getting it. I will be DDing mine as well. If I was in a warmer climate, I would keep my Mustang, since I park it each winter and DD my truck. I will also be getting a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires, but passing on the factory ones for right now because I think I can find a better deal than $2k.

Yes. It'll be my dd. Ordered the winter wheel package and having the car protected underneath begore it ever leaves the dealership. Should be fun!

What do you plan on protecting it with? I've used Krown protection before on trucks and it works well, but kind of makes a mess of dripping oil for the first week and attracts dirt to it. On a truck I didn't care about that too much, but I don't want that on the RS.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Do you want me to answer? None of the answers fit. I live in Houston,TX and the winters are mild with no snow or ice; we did have snow for 1 day ten years ago. I will drive it all the time, but basically we have year-round Summer with 10 day of Fall, one day Winter, and 10 days Spring. So what answer is appropraite so as not to skew your survey. I will drive it in the Winter, on wet days and in the summer .... I guess the answer you are looking for is "Heck yes!", but we really don't have a winter and that doesn't say anything about dry/wet driving.

YMMV,

MidCow3,

P.S. my answer number 4 - I drive it year round Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter in heat, cold, ice, snow, rain, and dry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yup the RS is going to be my DD in Denver, so it will see some mountain time in the dry and snow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have to say no on this one unfortunately, I would love to hoon around in the snow. I had a 99 Mustang before this, and I drive an Escape in the winter. Michigan roads get absolutely terrible with potholes that become huge in the winter. Not to mention with the amount of money I'm spending on the Focus RS...I would rather the outrageous amounts of salt that the road committee throws on the roads, not literally eat the car :\

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yes I certainly will. Every morning during a snow storm on my way to work I will be late apexing and left foot braking around every turn. Then when I arrive to a big, and hopefully somewhat empty parking lot at my work, I will spend about 10 minutes practicing low traction skills and dodging the idiots in the plow trucks clearing the lot :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nuts all of you!

Salt, bad drivers, hidden curbs, rock chips, snowplows, etc! Hellz no. I can get a winter beater for much cheaper than winter wheels/tires.

40+k for an RS, just to destroy it.. sad. Its not a Tacoma. I won't even rack miles on it until I know how many are going to be produced. If its mass produced I will rock the hell out of it. Daily.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I will drive in winter, cool dry air make turbo engine happy!
And I ordered winter wheel package, not that I need winter tires, just wanted an OE option wheel for all-season tires since it does get too cold for Cup 2s in winter. Very rarely see snow, my Civic handles what we get here just fine.

Also, buying a car but not planning on driving it regularly is like having a wife just so people can look at her that you don't enjoy the company of.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also, buying a car but not planning on driving it regularly is like having a wife just so people can look at her that you don't enjoy the company of.

Hahahaha, true. Its not about not enjoying it but taking care of it, and not beating the pants off of it.

The Shelby I have enjoyed for several years without a hiccup, comes out in the summer on occasion and have placed 18k miles on it in 4/5 years.

The Focus ST, I autocrossed the pants off it for 16k miles in two years only to scratch, damage, rock chip it, destroy the dual mass flywheel, blow brake fluid all over the place, etc. Many lessons learned on how to keep a new car new, and not degrade its quality. Isn't that one of the reasons we pay 10's of 1000's for new?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts