Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was launching and flat foot shifting mine on e30, well north of 350who at the drags and the stock clutch had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, the oem clutch for the RS is only rated for 250 hp. They put the same clutch in the RS that they put in the focus SE. You can look it up if you want.
At this point you can only be trolling. You’re making the claim the clutch is rated for 250 hp (and now that it’s the same clutch as an SE) so how about you provide something to back up your claim.

Reactions: mexrs

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yes, the oem clutch for the RS is only rated for 250 hp. They put the same clutch in the RS that they put in the focus SE. You can look it up if you want.
At this point you can only be trolling. You’re making the claim the clutch is rated for 250 hp (and now that it’s the same clutch as an SE) so how about you provide something to back up your claim.
I was genuinely curious, so I checked:

"Disc" shows up as for
RS, S, SE, SEL, ST, Titanium1.0L L3 - Gas, 2.0L L4 - Flex, 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas

But it also says for "automatic transaxle" so could be inaccurate.

The flywheel and pressure plate, on the other hand show as RS specific parts. The flywheel is probably to match the 2.3 and maybe the pressure plate has a higher clamping force to handle the additional power?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was researching too and found many inconsistencies in part numbers across different sites for the different transmission. The only thing I found @ parts.ford.com was that the middle section of the ford part number was the same for the friction disk and the flywheel but I could not find a complete "Clutch Set" that includes a pressure plate and slave cylinder. If you know anything about ford part numbers, the last section is usually 2 or 3 letters and represent different revisions of the number before it.

So I think you are right @BigFatFlip. The friction disk itself can probably handle well over the power needs for any focus but improved clamping force of a different pressure plate utilizes the friction disk better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was genuinely curious, so I checked:

"Disc" shows up as for
RS, S, SE, SEL, ST, Titanium1.0L L3 - Gas, 2.0L L4 - Flex, 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas

But it also says for "automatic transaxle" so could be inaccurate.

The flywheel and pressure plate, on the other hand show as RS specific parts. The flywheel is probably to match the 2.3 and maybe the pressure plate has a higher clamping force to handle the additional power?
That’s the for the auto “dual” clutch trans aka garbage with a class action lawsuit. Not to be mistaken for a twin disk clutch.

·
Registered
635 Posts
G1FZ-7B546-C pressure plate and disk.
G1FZ-6477-A Flywheel

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
That’s the for the auto “dual” clutch trans aka garbage with a class action lawsuit. Not to be mistaken for a twin disk clutch.
G1FZ-7B546-C pressure plate and disk.
After a little more research, this is correct. My suspicion is that the shop ran into the same thing I did while researching and advised the OP to go with the "upgrade".

Personally, I've never met an aftermarket clutch I liked, so when mine wears out, I'll be getting another OEM one and leave the syncro alone but toss in an LSD.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
After a little more research, this is correct. My suspicion is that the shop ran into the same thing I did while researching and advised the OP to go with the "upgrade".

Personally, I've never met an aftermarket clutch I liked, so when mine wears out, I'll be getting another OEM one and leave the syncro alone but toss in an LSD.
It's funny how a small number of people have nothing but clutch and transmission issues and others don't. Even people that track day and autocross their cars regularly with the std components. Funny that.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Back when I was racing me Civic in SMF and my buddy had his SRT-4 (neon) also in SMF he was running ACT clutch/pressure plate and was going through them faster than recommended oil changes. One happened to break at a race on Saturday and we limped it to my house and the only thing we could find that night for the Sunday race was "OE grade" from AutoZone or some other retail parts store in town. Put that in and it lasted way longer, last I heard it was still in there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts