Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking about this topic and wanted to get a few other opinions on the subject. Do you think the RS will still feel light on it's feet and toss able? If anyone has driven a Fiesta ST or a MINI Hardtop S/John Cooper Works, that is the sensation I am referring too, the "go kart" handling that MINI loves to throw around.
I owned a Ford tuned Focus ST and sold it last month so i wouldn't take a bath on the trade in value and I am now driving a MINI Cooper Hardtop S until my RS arrives. Driving the MINI is a blast, all except for the front wheel drive torque steer. Do you think the RS will have the same driving experience as a vehicle weighting around 3,000 pounds?

I know the facts the RS is AWD, 350HP and so on, but it also going to heavier. I am not cancelling my RS order anytime soon, but was just curious on your thoughts of the driving experience we can all look forward too?

Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think it'll drive like a fat girl on a mechanical bull ... it'll be all over the place ... but that's the way I'll make it ☺

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I got to thinking about this topic and wanted to get a few other opinions on the subject. Do you think the RS will still feel light on it's feet and toss able? If anyone has driven a Fiesta ST or a MINI Hardtop S/John Cooper Works, that is the sensation I am referring too, the "go kart" handling that MINI loves to throw around.
I owned a Ford tuned Focus ST and sold it last month so i wouldn't take a bath on the trade in value and I am now driving a MINI Cooper Hardtop S until my RS arrives. Driving the MINI is a blast, all except for the front wheel drive torque steer. Do you think the RS will have the same driving experience as a vehicle weighting around 3,000 pounds?

I know the facts the RS is AWD, 350HP and so on, but it also going to heavier. I am not cancelling my RS order anytime soon, but was just curious on your thoughts of the driving experience we can all look forward too?

Thanks
That's a tough question. I think the short answer is no. Just a far bigger car. But...JCW=12.1lb/hp...RS=~9.8lb/hp. With a track prepped suspension, serious chassis mods, non-variable steering, honkin' big brakes and true torque vectoring trick AWD; the RS will be in a different league.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The engineers in the videos did place some emphasis on the fact that they have designed and tuned the car to be fun on the road, not just on the track. I'm guardedly optimistic. But is it going to feel as nimble as the 900 lb lighter MX-5? I very much doubt that.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Thanks
I don't think it will match the feeling of those vehicles in terms of feeling like a featherweight. They are both under 2800lbs, the RS is expected to be close to 3400. I'm sure you know that there is a noticeable difference between the FoST and FiST already. The RS should have something helping it though, in the curves the TQ vectoring will make the RS feel more nimble and eager to turn when under power, the stiffness from the suspension to the chassis will also help with its body motions and give a more planted feel. We will just see how the RS acts when pushed, can you throw it into a corner and control the rear with some trail braking, or is it better to scrub off your speed, get it settled, and start applying power early and have the TQ vectoring steer you around early apexes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe the RS will redefine what it means to feel "light on it's feet". The combination of available torque and the torque splitting/vectoring RDU will definitely provide better turn in than the ST or the Mini. There is nothing more frustrating than understeer; and nothing worse at understeer than an over powered FWD car (barring some big ass rear sway bar). The RS is going to dance. Maybe not a pure lap times kind of car, but absolutely going to redefine usable turn in and on throttle corner exiting. First drives are a month away. I won't say "I told you so", but the Mini is going to feel anything but go-kart like after you get cozy with your new RS. Go back and watch the Lommel video again:cool:

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I think it'll drive like a fat girl on a mechanical bull ... it'll be all over the place ... but that's the way I'll make it ☺
That is because fat girls usually don't have strength to hang on for 8 seconds. The RS has the arm strength and will not "...it'll be all over the place ..."

My S2000 is lighter, LOL not as light as a Mini or MX5, RWD and is a blast to drive hard, but the RS will be better.

Think of the RS as J.B. Mauney riding a bull; he may not be the lightest bull rider but he is the best!

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - Remember not to over-drive your ability, especially when you first get your RS and you consider it "broken-in*" :)

* - either day 1 or after a traditional break-in period! - The jury is still out on this thinking

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
And for those of us getting our RS's around February during winter.....struggles.
Each to his own, but personally I'd be thrilled if mine arrived in February. I bought the winter tire package, and honestly I find it just as entertaining to play in the snow as on dry roads in the summer. Totally different experience, with much lower speeds in winter, but there's nothing like playing in a big empty parking lot with 3-6" or fresh snow on the ground.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Each to his own, but personally I'd be thrilled if mine arrived in February. I bought the winter tire package, and honestly I find it just as entertaining to play in the snow as on dry roads in the summer. Totally different experience, with much lower speeds in winter, but there's nothing like playing in a big empty parking lot with 3-6" or fresh snow on the ground.
Oh I plan on plenty of winter rallying! I'm going with 19'' Blizzaks since it's too late to add the winter tire package without paying 3k. I just hope I'm not driving it off the lot in negative degree temperatures.....but it hasn't snowed much yet so I'm crossing my fingers for a mild winter.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
... We will just see how the RS acts when pushed, can you throw it into a corner and control the rear with some trail braking, or is it better to scrub off your speed, get it settled, and start applying power early and have the TQ vectoring steer you around early apexes.
I'm hoping you'll be able to use both approaches effectively - one approach being optimal when driving in normal mode, another for track mode, a of course a third for drift mode. Having that range of choices would be pretty unique (certainly in the RS's price segment) and should really enhance the enjoyment that can be had with the car (and its value for money).

·
Registered
558 Posts
This - provided you can find a lot without effing light pylons every 4 yards! They are hard to find around here.

One of the best times I have ever had in a car was in a rental Accent in a northern town - picture yourself in a huge empty parking lot, no light stands, recently plowed but a good hard inch or two still underneath you - and someone had even set up an oval course. Fun 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This - provided you can find a lot without effing light pylons every 4 yards! They are hard to find around here.

One of the best times I have ever had in a car was in a rental Accent in a northern town - picture yourself in a huge empty parking lot, no light stands, recently plowed but a good hard inch or two still underneath you - and someone had even set up an oval course. Fun 2 hours.
I personally like obstacles, it adds to the thrill :) I love the idea of setting up a little track, but yes trying to find a parking lot with out lights that is large is pretty tough. There are some decent size industril parks around me that have some cool set ups, the problem becomes you never really know what you could be driving on though, I have seen people run into things like pallets, rims, tires, chain, drums all sorts of stuff hides in the snow.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Try Figure 8 racing around two abandoned cars in a parking lot. They must have s*it their pants when they came back and saw the tire marks in the snow around their cars!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just make sure the lot you use doesn't have parking blocks buried in the snow. Smacking into one of those will end your fun rather quickly.

·
Registered
558 Posts
....There are some decent size industril parks around me that have some cool set ups, the problem becomes you never really know what you could be driving on though, I have seen people run into things like pallets, rims, tires, chain, drums all sorts of stuff hides in the snow.
Excellent cautionary warning - I will have to keep that in mind, I've only hooned a bit on retail lots so far.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just make sure the lot you use doesn't have parking blocks buried in the snow. Smacking into one of those will end your fun rather quickly.
...Or even those concrete parking "islands". As the lot I was running had been partially plowed I didn't have that worry.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I personally like obstacles, it adds to the thrill :) I love the idea of setting up a little track, but yes trying to find a parking lot with out lights that is large is pretty tough. There are some decent size industril parks around me that have some cool set ups, the problem becomes you never really know what you could be driving on though, I have seen people run into things like pallets, rims, tires, chain, drums all sorts of stuff hides in the snow.
Haha you could say that again! There's a large K mart parking lot near me that has evenly spaced out lights and no parking spot stoppers or medians so I think that'll be one of my spots. It's tough because everything looks so smooth and slick with a layer of snow over it and the next thing you know one of your tires blows or you damage a rim because of a hidden obstacle. No matter though, the winter hoonery will still be in full swing with my RS!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
Camptown
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing