Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest complaint I have with the ST is that I can't heal-toe. The brake pedal is too high up in relation to the throttle pedal. How do the engineers at Ford expect us to downshift while braking? I had an Evo IX and a Cobalt SS and the pedals were perfectly placed for heal-toe. It's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen, but it looks like the RS might have improved pedal placement. If they aren't going to give us properly placed pedals, they should at least provide an automatic rev-matching feature.

My Cobalt had another feature that I think every performance car w/ a manual transmission should have: no-lift shift. It's especially important w/ a turbo so that you don't lose boost when shifting. It can't be hard to implement - it should be a simple software change.

RS PEDALS.PNG

·
Registered
239 Posts
then there are some of us have huge feet, which makes heel-toe more toe-toe downshifting ._.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had it on my ST and I hated it honestly. It pushes the pedal out so far it made my shin muscles sore, but I also tend to sit closer than a lot of people my height do. I need something about half of what the garageline thickness is. I wear a size 12 and it made the pedal box feel very cramped. But everyone else seems to love it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
That's perfect! Thank you!
Have you tried it?
I have it on mine and honestly was one of the first to get it. I was upset with the first design and posted on the forum if any one else was as well. We all thought the same, it was just too high. The thicker design basically sets it up so the pedals are even. The problem is when you brake now the gas pedal is a lot higher. The way I heel & Toe in the ST is using the side of my foot, for a while I was like why can't I do the normal way, I drive a crap load of cars and I was just Heel & Toeing in a 04 Diesel Silverado lol. Well its the stupid sensitive brakes, as soon as I pick my heel up I just stab the brakes and loose a lot of pressure control. When they made a redesign I bought it for a dollar I think it was for people who already purchased it and I can say it is about perfect. The taller design also made for a wicked angle of the ankle as well. I can tell you one thing it is coming out of my ST and into the RS.

Oh yea I should also add that the pedal spacing is a little far apart, I had it on the normal setting but with my driving shoes I would sometimes miss the pedal, not an issue if you use your heel but already went over that lol, I am on the race setting now and have been for about a year, I like it and although I still have to be careful with my driving shoes it is a lot better.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The biggest complaint I have with the ST is that I can't heal-toe. The brake pedal is too high up in relation to the throttle pedal. How do the engineers at Ford expect us to downshift while braking? I had an Evo IX and a Cobalt SS and the pedals were perfectly placed for heal-toe. It's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen, but it looks like the RS might have improved pedal placement. If they aren't going to give us properly placed pedals, they should at least provide an automatic rev-matching feature.

My Cobalt had another feature that I think every performance car w/ a manual transmission should have: no-lift shift. It's especially important w/ a turbo so that you don't lose boost when shifting. It can't be hard to implement - it should be a simple software change.

View attachment 2153
I too had a Cobalt SS and honestly the ST being the better drivers car, I was like how the F*** did they screw up the pedal placement. The Balt was like butter and I could nail perfect blips everytime and not worry that my foot may slip.

I loved NLS, with my muffler delete it sounded like a gun shot, just bang and tires ripping. I loved that car. My ST has NLS though but only because of a tune, I use it sometimes but only for 3rd and above. My Balt if the temps were good on my Direzza SS1's would grip in second with a Trifecta 23psi tune and bolt-ons. The ST really needs and LSD and the Balt was a prime example of why, you could feel the diff working when floored in second just shifting TQ and looking for the most grip.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have it on mine and honestly was one of the first to get it. I was upset with the first design and posted on the forum if any one else was as well. We all thought the same, it was just too high. The thicker design basically sets it up so the pedals are even. The problem is when you brake now the gas pedal is a lot higher. The way I heel & Toe in the ST is using the side of my foot, for a while I was like why can't I do the normal way, I drive a crap load of cars and I was just Heel & Toeing in a 04 Diesel Silverado lol. Well its the stupid sensitive brakes, as soon as I pick my heel up I just stab the brakes and loose a lot of pressure control. When they made a redesign I bought it for a dollar I think it was for people who already purchased it and I can say it is about perfect. The taller design also made for a wicked angle of the ankle as well. I can tell you one thing it is coming out of my ST and into the RS.

Oh yea I should also add that the pedal spacing is a little far apart, I had it on the normal setting but with my driving shoes I would sometimes miss the pedal, not an issue if you use your heel but already went over that lol, I am on the race setting now and have been for about a year, I like it and although I still have to be careful with my driving shoes it is a lot better.
Were you guys using the 55mm or the 38mm? It seems like most people are saying the 55 mm is too high.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Were you guys using the 55mm or the 38mm? It seems like most people are saying the 55 mm is too high.
38mm. The 55 is what it was released with and they changed it after a few of us contacted them, you should see it some where in that thread you posted. I was using a washer at first and actually reached out to a few companies to make something, but Garageline was the first. When I got the package and opened it I was like OMG this thing is over 2 inches thick. I tried to like it but it was painful at times and the 38mm is about perfect.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
38mm. The 55 is what it was released with and they changed it after a few of us contacted them, you should see it some where in that thread you posted. I was using a washer at first and actually reached out to a few companies to make something, but Garageline was the first. When I got the package and opened it I was like OMG this thing is over 2 inches thick. I tried to like it but it was painful at times and the 38mm is about perfect.
OK so then you do recommend the latest version right?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the pedal spacer on my ST as well. Great mod, only time it's marginally annoying is in a lot of stop and go. It makes up for it with being able to easily heel-toe though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
OK so then you do recommend the latest version right?
I would say yes, but looking at that version it is different then mine. The one I have is 2 pieces but it looks like they just made it one piece but with the shorter height. 38mm sounds correct though for the one I have, so if you find you need one for the RS I would go for it. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
This might just be one of the first "mods". Is it 100% confirmed that RS pedals are the same as ST placement?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts