Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
99svtf150lightning-970x0.jpg

By Stephen Edelstein — May 5, 2015

For the last five years Ford’s F-150 Raptor truck has torn up the terrain with the ferocity of its namesake dinosaur, but it’s not the first Ford performance truck to channel a force of nature.

Before Ford decided to focus on off-road performance, its F-150 SVT Lightning was the ultimate truck for the street. It dominated an era when factory performance trucks were essentially muscle cars with beds.

Ford is preparing to launch the second-generation Raptor for 2017, but it hasn’t said anything about Lightning striking again. Yet Car and Driver believes there’s a new version of this hot rod truck in the pipeline.

The Blue Oval is in the midst of unveiling 12 new performance vehicles worldwide under its Ford Performance banner, and the magazine reasons that there must be room for the Lightning in that lineup.

Ford has already unveiled the 2017 Raptor, Focus RS, Shelby GT350 and GT350R Mustang, and GT supercar, so it does have a few slots to fill before its performance product blitz ends in 2020.

There’s no guarantee that the Lightning will fill one of those slots, but it’s definitely worthy of revival. The last version featured a 5.4-liter supercharged V8 similar to the one used in the 2005 GT.

A V8 would be great in a new Lightning, but it could just as easily use a turbocharged EcoBoost V6 like the 2017 Raptor. Ford’s much-publicized trademark of “EcoBeast”hints at this as well.

An EcoBoost-powered Lightning would need even more power than the Raptor’s estimated 450 horsepower, though. Given that Ford is claiming over 600 hp for the EcoBoost engine in the GT, that shouldn’t be a problem.

The current-generation F-150’s aluminum body should aid performance by giving the Lightning less weight to lug around. Fuel economy and performance don’t always have to be at odds.

With Ram saying it won’t build a Hellcat-powered successor to the old SRT-10, and General Motors apparently uninterested as well, Ford would also have the muscle truck market all to itself.

Ford Lightning To Be Part of Performance Product Blitz? | Digital Trends

·
Registered
18 Posts
It could happen. Across 5 model years, over 28,000 F150-Lightnings were made (and presumably sold). That's a market worth tapping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You guys do realize Ford kind of tried this just recently with the Tremor right? From what I can tell, since I've only seen 1 on the road ever, it was a flop. Don't get me wrong, I love the L, but most people wanted it due to a supercharged v8. A twin turbo v6 is just not what some of these guys want. I'm sure if Ford put in a boosted 5.0L (not going to happen btw) into a truck, it would sell.

28,000 pickups is nothing, compare that to the 5 years for the Raptor, which sold somewhere around 60,000 trucks. Even 60,000 Raptors barely scratched the surface of F150 sales over 5 years. Going to be hard to convince people to pay 50-60K for a 2wd single cab in this market.

http://www.bestcarsin.com/manufacturers/ford/ford-f150/ford-f150-tremor/ford-f150-tremor-1.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
They should make a "Raptor Street" where it uses the wide ass stance of the raptor, same powertrain, but has suspension that's low and tuned for tarmac. Then it gets all the "premium" stuff the raptor has and doesn't require a ton of engineering. Fast big vehicles are funny, I'm imagining it with custom made 400mm width tires, TONS of mechanical grip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They should make a "Raptor Street" where it uses the wide ass stance of the raptor, same powertrain, but has suspension that's low and tuned for tarmac. Then it gets all the "premium" stuff the raptor has and doesn't require a ton of engineering. Fast big vehicles are funny, I'm imagining it with custom made 400mm width tires, TONS of mechanical grip.
As much as I love this idea, I would fear it too. I can't imagine most people pushing the grip limits of a 6500+ lbs truck on the street. Honestly, you would want a different powertrain in the street version. As much as I love the 6.2, it is made for durability and is incredibly heavy due to the iron block. A boosted 5.0L would be a much better choice for that.

I also disagree that there wouldn't be a ton of engineering involved. Trying to build a suspension to handle those forces would be a monumental task. Also, the Raptor isn't just about the powertrain or suspension, there is a lot of engineering that went into the computer. For instance OffRoad Mode which changes the airbag sensor, throttle, braking, and many other little things. This required a lot of work for Ford to get correct, even the aftermarket tuners right now don't really address this after 5 years. Sure, people can bolt all the shiny bits onto their normal F150's, but it still wouldn't be a Raptor. The main point is, that there are a lot of other things besides body panels and suspension that would need work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The main point is, that there are a lot of other things besides body panels and suspension that would need work.
I guess what I meant was the similarity of the parts could make it financially feaisble. It would still require a lot of engineering to make a truck work on tarmac. I'd love to see Jeremy test one, and see the stig take one around the test track :(

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raptor, Tremor, Lightning....why not all three? Trucks all appear to be the money makers nowadays.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Raptor, Tremor, Lightning....why not all three? Trucks all appear to be the money makers nowadays.
If crude stays around it's current < $70/bbl then I would agree with you. If they start heading north to $100/bbl then there will be a lot of used SUV's and trucks for sale.

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If crude stays around it's current < $70/bbl then I would agree with you. If they start heading north to $100/bbl then there will be a lot of used SUV's and trucks for sale.
I agree it all goes in cycles. When crude is cheap, out comes the Expeditions and Suburbans and no one wants a small car.

Crude goes up and those biggums get sold off quick and the small cars are a hot item.

Latest report for the automotive arena is small vehicles have slowed down and the trucks, F150 and Silverado, are selling like hotcakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
ControlNode
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing