Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 drivers that use my car, so I use trip 1 for me and trip 2 for him, and always switch to #2 when I get out the car, and switch back when I use the car, but yesterday I checked both trip counts and they are identical, I always reset both when I fill the tank, and from memory he's only done a small amount of local trips, probably not even totaling 20 miles, and from the time I filled the tank up until yesterday, I did 89 miles, and yet both trip counters register 89 miles.

Is there anything going on that shouldn't be? I can't use Forscan to scan for problems, because when I tried it before when the computer showed a starting system failure, the computer locked everything and I had to get Ford to tow it to the shop and get them to release it, and fix the problem and they told me, they don't want people messing around with their programming and put a lockout on their cars so that if anything other than official Ford equipment is used the computer would lock everything, and only Ford can release it, at the price of an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have 2 drivers that use my car, so I use trip 1 for me and trip 2 for him, and always switch to #2 when I get out the car, and switch back when I use the car, but yesterday I checked both trip counts and they are identical, I always reset both when I fill the tank, and from memory he's only done a small amount of local trips, probably not even totaling 20 miles, and from the time I filled the tank up until yesterday, I did 89 miles, and yet both trip counters register 89 miles.

Is there anything going on that shouldn't be? I can't use Forscan to scan for problems, because when I tried it before when the computer showed a starting system failure, the computer locked everything and I had to get Ford to tow it to the shop and get them to release it, and fix the problem and they told me, they don't want people messing around with their programming and put a lockout on their cars so that if anything other than official Ford equipment is used the computer would lock everything, and only Ford can release it, at the price of an arm and a leg.
The trips don't act independent of each other, they just log both at same time regardless of which trip you switch to / have displayed.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
As mentioned, trips one and two count regardless of which is active, it's just two trips counters you can reset at different times, if you reset that at the same time, they will always be the same until one or the other is reset without the other.

That said, you can assign the key the other driver uses as a "non-admin" key, I think you can then track the milage of that key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then, what is the point of having 2 trip meters if they're not independent? So, having 2 trip meters and not working independent, is defeating the object of having 2, but, that's Ford in their 'finite' wisdom (yeah right!!!) lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can assign the key the other driver uses as a "non-admin" key, I think you can then track the mileage of that key.
Unfortunately, the car dealership likes to keep master keys, and I was only given one non-admin key, this is (from what I've recently been told about the dealership), is so that they can charge $150 to program other keys, and will NOT give up the admin key.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Then, what is the point of having 2 trip meters if they're not independent? So, having 2 trip meters and not working independent, is defeating the object of having 2, but, that's Ford in their 'finite' wisdom (yeah right!!!) lol
I've never heard of trip meters that only increment when they are displayed. The way these work is normal. There are lots of reasons why this is useful... Using one for your fuel tank and one for something else as an example.

I can see why your way would be useful too, but it just isn't how they normally work. This goes back to the days of manual trip meters, where you couldn't engage or disengage them, only reset.

When you bring up the meter, it's just displaying it. Not activating it. They always increment in the background. It would actually suck if they stopped, imagine of you had to keep a trip meter up on your display or else it would stop working!

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Unfortunately, the car dealership likes to keep master keys, and I was only given one non-admin key, this is (from what I've recently been told about the dealership), is so that they can charge $150 to program other keys, and will NOT give up the admin key.
So you bought a used car with only 1 key? I've never heard of dealers keeping admin key, none of the cars I've bought that have this feature have had this issue. And the only key you got was a non-admin key?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can't imagine keeping a "spare" key for a car that someone purchased being legal in most states (if you are in the US). And not having an admin key means you can't use custom drive modes or go above 85MPH so this really means blocking your use of half of the car's features.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I missed this one earlier. Because you can track from two different reset points since you can reset them independently of each other. This is how every trip computer with more than one trip counter as worked in every brand car I've touched and makes way more sense than only one counting at a time. Just because it doesn't fit your use case doesn't make it wrong.

Reactions: CPMaverick

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
That isn't legal. Dealers do NOT get to keep a key to your car. No matter if purchased New or Used.

Ford shipped every RS with 2 keys. If you bought the car brand new you GET two keys, and BOTH are administrative keys. If a dealer only gave you one key when you bought your new car, the dealer owes you a 2nd key on their dime. And I'd take that up with Ford Corporate. Its both a security issue, and a fraud issue. Security because it means that somewhere, there is a 2nd key floating around at the dealership that can open your car, and someone who works for the dealership can look up your address, take the key and steal your car. Fraud because 2 keys are part of a new vehicle sale.

If you bought the car used, unfortunately you may not get two keys, but if the car was sold to the dealer and came with two keys, you're owed two keys. If it was only turned in with 1 key, well, as a used car, they can sell it with only one key.

In order to program any additional key's, you MUST have 2 keys currently. The process is in the owners manual. So if you own two keys, you can buy a spare 3rd key and program it yourself. You can pick them up from Amazon for cheap, or buy a blank directly from the dealer. A dealer may squawk and tell you that only THEY can program keys. That is a lie. If you have 2 working keys, you can program a 3rd.

That said, its likely possible that Forscan can program an Intelligent Access Key without that limitation, I don't know for sure, never looked. But Forscan has many of the capabilities that a Ford IDS tool has. You would need to do the research on your own.

Reactions: CPMaverick

·
Registered
274 Posts
In order to program any additional key's, you MUST have 2 keys currently. The process is in the owners manual. So if you own two keys, you can buy a spare 3rd key and program it yourself. You can pick them up from Amazon for cheap, or buy a blank directly from the dealer. A dealer may squawk and tell you that only THEY can program keys. That is a lie. If you have 2 working keys, you can program a 3rd.
I'm surprised to read that owners can program 'blank' keys. I understood only Ford dealers could so this (and possibly Forscan). Can you point to the section the owners manual the covers this? (I hope you are not thinking that the 'myKey' capability allows addition of a blank key, as it does not.). I'd like to add a third key. Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm surprised to read that owners can program 'blank' keys. I understood only Ford dealers could so this (and possibly Forscan). Can you point to the section the owners manual the covers this? (I hope you are not thinking that the 'myKey' capability allows addition of a blank key, as it does not.). I'd like to add a third key. Thanks.
This is from the US Manual ( https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...rket=usa&div=f&vCode=&vFilteringEnabled=False ):

Programming a Spare Intelligent Access Key
You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. Contact an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed keys are not available.
Make sure that the ignition is switched off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you carry out any steps out of sequence.
Note: You can program a maximum of eight intelligent access keys to your vehicle.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
Center Console Tray Removal

1. Open the floor console storage compartment lid.
  2. Remove the tray.
Intelligent Access Key Backup Slot

3. Place the first programmed intelligent access key flat on the symbol at the bottom of the floor console storage compartment.
4. Press the push button ignition switch.
5. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
6. Remove the intelligent access key.
7. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key flat on the symbol.
8. Press the push button ignition switch.
9. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
10. Remove the intelligent access key.
11. Within 10 seconds, place the unprogrammed intelligent access key flat on the symbol.
12. Press the push button ignition switch.
Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 12. If programming remains unsuccessful, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts