• I do not race.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I only race on tracks.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Mainly track, occational street.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I street race on a regular basis.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I think that speeding should be outlawed!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who out there is keeping up with this big fuss over banning and such. Opinions on both sides and street racing in general are incouraged. Flamethrowres at the ready!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have not really been following the situation. My theory on their kind of street racing though is why they do not go to a track. Most of the cars they run are not street legal and any car that gets trailered to a street race should not be in one. My kind of street racing is a spur of the moment type thing or some buddies having fun. I have no problem with speeding as long as the driver is aware of their limits and knows how hard to push. There are many other problems on the road that take precedence over speeding and there are also many drivers out there that are more dangerous doing the speed limit then some one who is speeding.

I live around a city so what the Street Outlaws do is never possible around me, rolling races at particular points with a spotter run is about all we can do. I also don't really care how my car compares to another vehicle as I buy my vehicles for my enjoyment only, but I do like gathering comparison data and making sure I made the correct choice or to point out faults with my vehicles. My competition remains internal as I use myself as a benchmark to continue honing my skills as a better driver, but if the opportunity presents itself to have some friendly competition I rarely turn it down and at times will instigate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's stupid, but the NHRA can do whatever they want. Street Outlaws is staged, it's not illegal, they get sections of road legally shut down so they can street race. While the NHRA might say this encourages street racing, this is along the same lines as violent TV/video games encouraging violence, there's not really a statistical correlation. In the end, if the NHRA wants to ban drivers who appear in the show, they can, theres nothing illegal about it, if they want to maintain their image that's up to them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's sort of my take on it. I think when you're at the level where you tow your car to a "street" race, then what's the difference in a no prep night at the strip? The whole "outlaw" thing is kinda played out. I do however feel that most of the excessive cheesiness is more from the discovery producers just making tv. Back with the NHRA thing, I think that's way more of a money grab than actually caring about keeping up its image. They better be careful though, because if they keep it up they're going to bite the hand that feeds them

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not really been following the situation. My theory on their kind of street racing though is why they do not go to a track. Most of the cars they run are not street legal and any car that gets trailered to a street race should not be in one.
You have to listen to their play on words. They are not the fastest street cars. They are the fastest street "RACED" cars. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been following it, the NHRA has been losing followers more and more in recent years, they are losing viewers to stupid Street Outlaws and have found a way to generate some publicity, nothing more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm someone who started drag racing in the late 70's in high school. There was street racing, sure, but we didn't resemble the F&F crowd that exists today in any way, shape, or form. One of the biggest differences is that back then, we had half a dozen dragstrips in the area and all of them had grudge racing at least one night a week. There was competitions between high schools, and the grudge racing was sponsored by a local rock radio station (KSHE 95 is still the best!). It was cheap, you could easily run 6-8 times/night, and it was understood that the only way to really tell who had the faster car and who was the better driver was to do it on the track.

With our litigious society, there are no tracks, no one in the community stepping up to provide a safe environment where kids can learn what it's like to race under controlled conditions, so you have no choice but to street race. If the NHRA really wants to call out the Street Outlaw guys, and truly do the racing community a favor, then they should put their money where their mouth is and help local officials build, man, and maintain tracks. If they aren't doing anything to offer an alternative to street racing, and are simply bashing it, then they're missing the point and will continue to become less relevant than they are now. Rant Off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Turns gentleman, it's not racing without turns in both directions!

P.S. It's precisely the kind of douchebags that race on the street that give the enthusiast car owner a bad name.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm someone who started drag racing in the late 70's in high school. There was street racing, sure, but we didn't resemble the F&F crowd that exists today in any way, shape, or form. One of the biggest differences is that back then, we had half a dozen dragstrips in the area and all of them had grudge racing at least one night a week. There was competitions between high schools, and the grudge racing was sponsored by a local rock radio station (KSHE 95 is still the best!). It was cheap, you could easily run 6-8 times/night, and it was understood that the only way to really tell who had the faster car and who was the better driver was to do it on the track.

With our litigious society, there are no tracks, no one in the community stepping up to provide a safe environment where kids can learn what it's like to race under controlled conditions, so you have no choice but to street race. If the NHRA really wants to call out the Street Outlaw guys, and truly do the racing community a favor, then they should put their money where their mouth is and help local officials build, man, and maintain tracks. If they aren't doing anything to offer an alternative to street racing, and are simply bashing it, then they're missing the point and will continue to become less relevant than they are now. Rant Off.

P.S. It's precisely the kind of douchebags that race on the street that give the enthusiast car owner a bad name.
If by douchebags you mean this.

Then I agree. I remember when I was in the Navy a bunch of imports decided they were going to shut down the highway (that went into the base) and literally try to pull off a Fast & Furious style race. Needless to say it didn't work out well for anyone. I just sat in the hospital waiting for my godson to be born shaking my head.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Turns are fun indeed, which is why I own an ST and will most likely own an RS. If you haven't been to an NHRA event, and witnessed, up close and personal, the thing that is Top Fuel drag racing, then you haven't experienced racing. :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your right, only on TV and even there the acceleration and speed is staggering. No disrespect to those guys (who legally do it on the strip), just no my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm old enough to have memories of street racing in the mid to late 60s. Every weekend (and lots of week nights) we would drag VanBuren 'til the wee hours of the morning, going through four or five drive-ins. AM radio, the summer breeze, the girls... Stoplight races happened very often. 409s, 406s, 426s an 27s and all the rest were there. If a stoplight drag wasn't sufficient to prove the point, we had a 1/4 mile marked on a semi-rural blacktop where the matter could be settled. I don't remember a single instance of anyone getting hurt. I was driving a '64 Comet Cyclone Caliente with a 3.75 rear end and Cobra-ized 289 making 300hp. 13.6 on street tires at the strip.

Man, those were the days!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm old enough to have memories of street racing in the mid to late 60s. Every weekend (and lots of week nights) we would drag VanBuren 'til the wee hours of the morning, going through four or five drive-ins. AM radio, the summer breeze, the girls... Stoplight races happened very often. 409s, 406s, 426s an 27s and all the rest were there. If a stoplight drag wasn't sufficient to prove the point, we had a 1/4 mile marked on a semi-rural blacktop where the matter could be settled. I don't remember a single instance of anyone getting hurt. I was driving a '64 Comet Cyclone Caliente with a 3.75 rear end and Cobra-ized 289 making 300hp. 13.6 on street tires at the strip.

Man, those were the days!!
and that would be the birth of drag racing right there. Any pictures of the Comet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
and that would be the birth of drag racing right there. Any pictures of the Comet?
64cometcyclone.jpg

I sold it to my brother in law. His friend knew how to adjust the solid lifters: Tighten them all the way up and then get the engine hot. Needless to say, the valve train was ruined. His dad, my father in law, took the car to some old time buddy mechanic, who put in a used stock cam, replaced the dual-point ignition, put in higher rear end gears. Basically undid everything that I had done. Then he blamed me for selling my brother in law a lemon. Don't sell cars to family.

I literally dreamt about that car for years and years. I sold it to buy a new (and I'm embarrassed to tell you) Maverick to take to graduate school.

BTW, and perhaps needless to say, it was a four-speed. You can't see it in the pic, but I had Cobra decals on the wind wings and Cobra medallions (that came with the Cobra engine kits) on the front grill and on the center of the rear end. Loved that car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
View attachment 430

I sold it to my brother in law. His friend knew how to adjust the solid lifters: Tighten them all the way up and then get the engine hot. Needless to say, the valve train was ruined. His dad, my father in law, took the car to some old time buddy mechanic, who put in a used stock cam, replaced the dual-point ignition, put in higher rear end gears. Basically undid everything that I had done. Then he blamed me for selling my brother in law a lemon. Don't sell cars to family.

I literally dreamt about that car for years and years. I sold it to buy a new (and I'm embarrassed to tell you) Maverick to take to graduate school.

BTW, and perhaps needless to say, it was a four-speed. You can't see it in the pic, but I had Cobra decals on the wind wings and Cobra medallions (that came with the Cobra engine kits) on the front grill and on the center of the rear end. Loved that car.
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pic and for the story. :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the positive responses. I sold it to the BIL for just $600. I had WAY more than that in mods. I thought I was doing him a huge favor. Repeat: Don't sell cars to family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts