Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve combed through the threads of people asking what tune to get or who is the best tuner, I don’t really think there’s a right answer to that.

My question is: who has had different tuners tune their cars and what differences did you notice? You probably had different mods at the time but I’m looking more for what felt like a better tune or what feels more refined(Or better than factory) Things you liked vs. things that bothered you or didn’t notice until you switched to a different tune.

Essentially, what is your subjective experience between tuners’ tunes?

(Waiting for the reply of “I’ve only had X tune my car but they’re great!”)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I originally had a stratified tune, i upgraded h\w and updated the tune. I had various issues with tunes being sent with incorrect options. I tried a freaktune, was good.

I then went mountune m400x, great map but was thinking going big turbo and mountune uk didnt\couldnt support that. Spoke to a uk based main tuner but they never called back.

Contacted tuneplus and bought a lifetime tune, very progressive. Then went big turbo and adam supplied 5 revisions, dialled out the lag and found my cars limits on stock fuelling. Had the car on a dyno locally recently and its very strong (460hp 480 ftlb).

Now in process of wmi fitting and once completed will get new tune from adam. If i can get to 500 crank hp or just beyond i’ll be happy (all indications are that i will).

Clutch is next though ☹

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to sideline the discussion but quick question: @Pezzar , are you on stock internals / block? If so, any issues? I haven't really heard of people having issues with more power after the gaskets got recalled and fixed but also haven't heard of much big turbo builds so I'm curious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to sideline the discussion but quick question: @Pezzar , are you on stock internals / block? If so, any issues? I haven't really heard of people having issues with more power after the gaskets got recalled and fixed but also haven't heard of much big turbo builds so I'm curious.

Thanks!
My gasket just failed. Had the recall done when it was first announced. Was running a PTE turbo with all stock internals/block. I was just over 400hp/tq. Was tuned by Cp-e.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts

Thanks!
Hi
My car has had new head and gasket originally, then a year later new short block too.
I am now running forged internals but stock block.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've only used Nishan and Ryan but on different cars so I can't tell you the difference. Both very good. Randy used to tune for Mountune.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
-Stratified felt safe and refined, and the turnaround time between revisions was about 3ish days. Felt a little bit weaker in the butt dyno but VERY consistent.

-Tune+ felt rowdy but that's just because of the throttle mapping. Felt a little more power in the butt dyno. Turnaround time between revisions was about 2 days.

-JST is a goldilocks between Stratified and Tune+, not crazy not flat, but about the same power as Tune+. Turnaround time between revisions was anywhere between 6 hours and a day. Dude works crazy fast.

-Panda Motorworks had the most power on a dyno, but it peaked at 4000rpm and the power curve never felt refined. Turnaround time between revisions was a day.

When I upgraded the turbo and fueling I decided to stick with JST due to my prior experience. I had all of my previous tunes with a downpipe and an intercooler.

edit: update Panda review

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
-Stratified felt safe and refined, and the turnaround time between revisions was about 3ish days. Felt a little bit weaker in the butt dyno but VERY consistent.

-Tune+ felt rowdy but that's just because of the throttle mapping. Felt a little more power in the butt dyno. Turnaround time between revisions was about 2 days.

-JST is a goldilocks between Stratified and Tune+, not crazy not flat, but about the same power as Tune+. Turnaround time between revisions was anywhere between 6 hours and a day. Dude works crazy fast.

-Panda Motorworks had the most power on a dyno, but it peaked at 4000rpm and the power curve felt refined. Turnaround time between revisions was a day.

When I upgraded the turbo and fueling I decided to stick with JST due to my prior experience. I had all of my previous tunes with a downpipe and an intercooler.
I had similar experiences with JST.
Would bang again

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thanks, theyre bit more expensive on their tunes from what i can see
How so? As far as I can tell, they fall smack dab in the middle in pricing, which ranges anywhere from $180 - $300.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks, theyre bit more expensive on their tunes from what i can see
You get what you pay for.
Brian knows his shi7.
You would not be disappointed with his work OR his customer service.
Top notch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts