Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had my RS aligned by a tech at a nearby Ford Dealer (they had some kinda high tech jig with either lasers, phasers, or Klingon Disrupters----not sure which, and a fancy LCD display with brightly colored fruit salad on it) to OEM specs. No complaints so far, and it's been several months since.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fruit salad alignment? Sign me up!

There are ZERO motorsports clubs in my area. To give you guys an idea, my city is like 15,000 people. We have a nice group of car guys with weekly meets in the summer, but it's mostly older gentleman with money to burn (and little taste) so when it comes to performance oriented shops, there are none. I'm blessed to live near a large air base with an auto club that allows civilians to use as well, so most of the work I can do there if not in the driveway on stands. When it comes to specialized stuff though, it's like a whole adventure getting it done. Praise Northern Canada amirite? 😂

I'd like to start an auto x group in my city but if history is anything to go by-
logistical nightmare and they don't like loud cars with go fast mods. So we stay in our own lane. 🤷‍♂️ Sounds like I'll have to make a trip to the big city and make a weekend out of it to get the quality I'm looking for.. Maybe some go-karts while I wait.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I've had 2 or 3 alignments by my Ford dealer. They were passable at best, and the car never felt "right". The car kept going out of alignment. My last alignment happened this summer by my mechanic that usually works on my truck. He has shown an interest in my RS on past visits, and is no stranger to working on performance cars. So I've let him start working on the RS. He performed the best alignment on the RS ever, even better than from the factory. He did say that he had to adjust the subframe a little to get it perfect. Which is something I guess the dealer mechanics never bothered to do. He claimed that without the adjustment it was within spec, but he wanted to see if he could get it closer. And it was worth it. The car feels better than it ever has. Not sure what my point is here, just my two cents. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've had 2 or 3 alignments by my Ford dealer. They were passable at best, and the car never felt "right". The car kept going out of alignment. My last alignment happened this summer by my mechanic that usually works on my truck. He has shown an interest in my RS on past visits, and is no stranger to working on performance cars. So I've let him start working on the RS. He performed the best alignment on the RS ever, even better than from the factory. He did say that he had to adjust the subframe a little to get it perfect. Which is something I guess the dealer mechanics never bothered to do. He claimed that without the adjustment it was within spec, but he wanted to see if he could get it closer. And it was worth it. The car feels better than it ever has. Not sure what my point is here, just my two cents. 🤷‍♂️
I've always had good experience with smaller 2 hoist mom n pop shops. They listen. Unfortunately my go to in my hometown has been closed for years. Thats the problem I'm having. Just because its "within spec" doesn't mean anything to me when I see nearly all of the allowable 0.20deg toe on the passenger side, with the drivers damn near 0. My rear camber is .6deg off side to side as well. Is it a pain in the ass to work on like @320icar said? Sure is. Is it "within spec" sure is. Is it ****ty tossed together work? Absolutely. If the stock alignment spec calls for -0.97deg camber in the rear factory, why would they practically square one side to 0.00 and get the other close enough aka -0.6 degree? Maybe I'm being too picky, idk.

Your point is that a real alignment makes the car feel like it should, drive straight, and have the characteristics you're after. What I got from Ford is "granny needs an alignment, she hasn't gotten one in 15 years can you make it drive half decent" with a side of "**** your front lip and bumper we don't take our time especially when we **** up and make you sit there for 4 hours while we re-do the alignment only for it to come out just as ****ty in a different aspect"

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I had my RS aligned by a tech at a nearby Ford Dealer (they had some kinda high tech jig with either lasers, phasers, or Klingon Disrupters----not sure which, and a fancy LCD display with brightly colored fruit salad on it) to OEM specs. No complaints so far, and it's been several months since.
Do you happen to have a copy of your alignment sheet? I'd like to see... I'd post mine here but I'm away from the paperwork for a few more days.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you happen to have a copy of your alignment sheet? I'd like to see... I'd post mine here but I'm away from the paperwork for a few more days.
I don't. The Technician showed it to me after the alignment. It was color coded green (in spec) and red (out of sec) with columns for prealignment and post alignment numbers. I'll give 'em a call after Christmas, if you like, and see if I can get a copy of it?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't. The Technician showed it to me after the alignment. It was color coded green (in spec) and red (out of sec) with columns for prealignment and post alignment numbers. I'll give 'em a call after Christmas, if you like, and see if I can get a copy of it?
No worries don't go out of your way to show me. But like I said, mine is technically all green as well but when all the toe and all the camber is on a single corner, it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A very popular tool is the Dunlop AGO40 optical alignment gauge. It’s useful to quickly and accurately set the toe. It’s literally an “industry standard” (every rally team I know have one) but for some reason this tool is almost unknown in North America.

The tool is really easy to use and quick: you can check the alignment in maybe 30 seconds flat and set it in the time it takes to adjust the steering arms - a couple of minutes with practice.

There is no messy strings or anything complicated, you just need a flat surface and it uses a mirror and the reflection of a reticle to do the alignment: it’s a bit like aiming with a scope. You hang it on the wall when not in use and it’s ready in seconds.

It mates with the outer edge of the rims (there is nothing to attach to the car) and is accurate down to better than 10 minutes of arc so that should do for all uses. It does not matter how lowered or how wide etc. You need to adjust it for the rim size but that’s quick and easy.

It’s a little pricey for occasional personal use (I think around $600) but quite affordable for a small shop or club.

Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Machine Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A very popular tool is the Dunlop AGO40 optical alignment gauge. It’s useful to quickly and accurately set the toe. It’s literally an “industry standard” (every rally team I know have one) but for some reason this tool is almost unknown in North America.

The tool is really easy to use and quick: you can check the alignment in maybe 30 seconds flat and set it in the time it takes to adjust the steering arms - a couple of minutes with practice.

There is no messy strings or anything complicated, you just need a flat surface and it uses a mirror and the reflection of a reticle to do the alignment: it’s a bit like aiming with a scope. You hang it on the wall when not in use and it’s ready in seconds.

It mates with the outer edge of the rims (there is nothing to attach to the car) and is accurate down to better than 10 minutes of arc so that should do for all uses. It does not matter how lowered or how wide etc. You need to adjust it for the rim size but that’s quick and easy.

It’s a little pricey for occasional personal use (I think around $600) but quite affordable for a small shop or club.

View attachment 357196
I love it when you post.This is the information I needed :) I had no idea optical alignment tools like this even existed and opens another avenue of opportunity. It is a little expensive but more research needs to be done on my end now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do my alignments myself. I picked up a used Hunter K111 alignment machine with DSP250 heads from a local shop that was moving buildings and upgrading equipment. I paid $700 about 10 years ago. There's no telling how much money its saved me on alignments, and it's nice to know I can hit the numbers as accurately as I want to. The old Hunter machines are nice because you don't need a fixed laser head mounted on the wall like all their new stuff. All of the magic bits are within the wheel-mounted heads. Connect them to the computer via cables.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do my alignments myself. I picked up a used Hunter K111 alignment machine with DSP250 heads from a local shop that was moving buildings and upgrading equipment. I paid $700 about 10 years ago. There's no telling how much money its saved me on alignments, and it's nice to know I can hit the numbers as accurately as I want to. The old Hunter machines are nice because you don't need a fixed laser head mounted on the wall like all their new stuff. All of the magic bits are within the wheel-mounted heads. Connect them to the computer via cables.

View attachment 357283

View attachment 357284

View attachment 357285

View attachment 357286
Is that last car a geo?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts