Votes: 39 45.3%
  • It's a shame. A mark against an otherwise amazing design

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
5 feet wider than my current car. Not horrible, but would've preferred either on par or tighter

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Let's be honest. We aren't buying the car for the turning circle. We are buying the car cause race car. At least that's why I'm buying it. That being said, adjust driving style and take U turns a little bit wider. The turning circle won't mean **** when your flying around streets of willow or hitting a auto-x

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Engage Drift Mode, turn left full stop, mash the go pedal. Problem (not really a problem to begin with) solved.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
How is that possible that a larger car is LESS THAN HALF the turning circle? If true, that is literally the worst part about the Focus RS hands down. You think it would be a small turning radius to help on the track and for making tight drifts / turns
Big wide tires :tears_of_joy:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
716 Posts
Big wide tires :tears_of_joy:

YMMV,

MidCow3
Do you by chance know any resources that would explain the relationship there? I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I am not understanding the relationship between tire width and turning circle

·
Registered
262 Posts
5' wider than the Subaru and it's 18" shorter in vehicle length :O

Allllllllrighty then. It won't be unlivable, but I'll sure be feeling silly until it becomes familiar.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Do you by chance know any resources that would explain the relationship there? I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I am not understanding the relationship between tire width and turning circle
You take the regular focus frame and opening. Then you put wider tires on the axles. In order to keep the tires from hitting the inner body frame you have to limit their turning are to less than before. This results in a wider turning circle.

The simple solution would have been to offset the wheels slight to the outside. Adjust the body width wider (probably big $$$$ to have assembly line specialty for one model) Or flare the wheel wells and make the car look cooler. Then leave the turning arc the same; resulting in a tighter turning circle.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
716 Posts
You take the regular focus frame and opening. Then you put wider tires on the axles. In order to keep the tires from hitting the inner body frame you have to limit their turning are to less than before. This results in a wider turning circle.

The simple solution would have been to offset the wheels slight to the outside. Adjust the body width wider (probably big $$$$ to have assembly line specialty for one model) Or flare the wheel wells and make the car look cooler. Then leave the turning arc the same; resulting in a tighter turning circle.

YMMV,

MidCow3
Ah, that would make sense. Essentially the problem is not so much the tires themselves, but the lack of clearance on the stock Focus body

·
Registered
306 Posts
The turning circle in my current Focus is pretty horrendous - I avoid multideck carparks like the plague because its such a miserable experience when you have to pull a million-point-turn to get in and out of a tight spot with a queue behind you!
The lack of front parking sensors on the RS will make me even more reluctant to go into one of those concrete nightmares. Despite all that, its really the one usability compromise I can complain about, so I will happily take the hit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Turning circle is determined by many factors, however vehicle length and steering articulation angle are the primaries.

Length isn't the issue here 'cos an RS isn't exactly long in wheelbase. Don't be swayed by the quick steering ratio - this means fewer turns of the steering wheel to turn from on lock to the other at the cost of increased physical effort or load to the power steering system due to reduced mechanical advantage via gear reduction.

This is about the steering angle articulation.

The standard Mk3 Focus has a turning circle of 36 ft, as advised by Dr Google - believe him if you will as Henry isn't offering too much technical information on his multitude of web sites. A Focus ST has a reduced turning circle of 39.4'. It is reasonable to assume tyre clearance to suspension, steering or body is the limiting constraint given an ST has wider wheel/tyre package. The RS has wider wheel/tyre package again, thus it follows the turning circle is further reduced.

If turning circle is really important, it might be worth exploring wheels with less back spacing which will potentially increase inner clearance at the expense of tyre/guard clearance. Then reset the steering lock stops to take advantage of the new-found space. Given some of the wheel packages known to work on Foci there may well be opportunity here.

And practice your reverse parking...

·
Super Moderator
15,440 Posts
I am the Master of the 14 point turn in my FoST!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Turning circle is determined by many factors, however vehicle length and steering articulation angle are the primaries.

Length isn't the issue here 'cos an RS isn't exactly long in wheelbase. Don't be swayed by the quick steering ratio - this means fewer turns of the steering wheel to turn from on lock to the other at the cost of increased physical effort or load to the power steering system due to reduced mechanical advantage via gear reduction.

This is about the steering angle articulation.

The standard Mk3 Focus has a turning circle of 36 ft, as advised by Dr Google - believe him if you will as Henry isn't offering too much technical information on his multitude of web sites. A Focus ST has a reduced turning circle of 39.4'. It is reasonable to assume tyre clearance to suspension, steering or body is the limiting constraint given an ST has wider wheel/tyre package. The RS has wider wheel/tyre package again, thus it follows the turning circle is further reduced.

If turning circle is really important, it might be worth exploring wheels with less back spacing which will potentially increase inner clearance at the expense of tyre/guard clearance. Then reset the steering lock stops to take advantage of the new-found space. Given some of the wheel packages known to work on Foci there may well be opportunity here.

And practice your reverse parking...
When I drove a duece-and-a-half in the Army Reserves it didn't have a very tight turning radius but I survived. However, it was pretty difficult to back-up with a trailer attached; at least at first.

So actually the RS turning radius isn't that much of a problem.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Kind of a bummer... but will live with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wasn't expecting the RS to be even worse than the ST!

I'd love to have this confirmed at some point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Such a poor turning radius is going to make parallel parking in the city a nightmare. My A4 is so easy to park because it has a tighter turning radius, especially when it comes to pulling out of spots when you're parked tightly between two cars.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts