Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Who Builds the Best Motor?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mexrs 
#1 ·
So I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything like what I'm looking for. If there is something let me know.

This is a thread for those who have built motors to tell the tale. Who did you buy the motor from? Short or long block? Install yourself or builder? What kind of power you making? What was the cost? Above all else this thread is to show what builders are reputable and safe and what builders to stay away from. Please share your experience especially if it was poor.

#2 ·
Ok I’ll go, I had Livernois build mine. I chose them because how reliable my past ecoboosts were. Also I felt they had the best build. They use a 2.3 block not a 2.0. Then the have a brace system that allows the 2.3 to be very strong and not cow bell. But also allows the cooling to remain the same as stock. The 2.0 simply does not. Also I have a bit of a good resource, my uncle was the lead engineer at DANA Corp for many years. I spent a bunch of time going over different builds and he said by design the Livernois 2.3 was a better build.
That being said it was the way they did it that made it good so I’m sure you would be fine with the 2.3 build from map also.
My first choice for a build was tune plus after seeing some he had done but I decided against that based on the fact he was giving me info that simply was not true and contradicted what Map said which is who built his long blocks.
I am very happy with mine. I’m over 500whp and liking it. I don’t have a lot of miles yet but plan to do some driving this fall for track days.

#3 ·
I have thread on providers and you can research them further. https://www.focusrs.org/#/topics/118938?

2 vs 2.3

i picked the 2L block as it has veen used more and builders have a better idea on what it can and can't handle compared to the 2.3L block. no doubt the advantage of 2.3 is the cooling.

Sleeving the 2.3 block doesn't help correct the issue with head stud boss cracking on the 2.3l blocks though.

I was also going to pick livernoise but getting through and such was a hassle. Esslinger was much faster and always a message a way

#4 · (Edited)
Home built. Machined with a torqueplate 2.0 ST block for oversize pistons, with a stock 2.3 head and v3 cams. Mahle bearings for the rods, new oem bearings on the mains, and valve springs upgraded. Keyed crank, balance shaft delete, ARP head and main studs, oem headgasket, i-beam manley rods, 88mm bore mahle pistons, arp2000+ wrist pins.

Friend helped build and install it. Cost $4500 all said and done for it. Not sure what it's making right now as I am one revision in with tuning for a pte turbo with 93 + meth. It does trap 119mph on a 1/4 mile dragy run in 3600da, so I'd guess somewhere around 475whp. Goal is a nice 500/500 at the wheels.

Reactions: loubif and Vinnie13
#9 · (Edited)
Reactions: ControlNode
#11 ·
I can’t not remember the cost off the top of my head. It was not cheap I know that. I had them install it which is the most expensive part.
The 2.0 is a good option. It is the easiest of the two to build off off that is for sure. Many shops go that route because the lack of proper machining and knowledge of how to build the 2.3. Key is to use what the shop you prefer recommends or pick what you want then find a shop that is good at it. Lms has lots of we’ll build 2.3’s with big hp. So I followed that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.