Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have owned my RS for almost 6 months now and I am loving it! Now that I have scratched the ownership itch i am now looking to personalise it. One of the first mods i am considering is installing some whiteline lowering springs which lower the car 15mm at the front and 30mm in the rear however I would like tap into the experience of this group.
  • How will it affect the ride? The car is stiff enough for me and i don't want to make it any harsher. I have heard that after market springs can actually improve the ride?
  • Ground clearance / tyre scrubbing? I expect that being a properly engineered aftermarket provider this should not be an issue but curious about the experience of others. Also this is a daily driver so i don't want to be dragging kerbs and driveways every where.

Any experience or comments would be appreciated. I plan to keep this car for a long time and hopefully will upgrade as time and budget allow.

Cheers

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Been running them for years. The ride is improved from factory, the looks are improved as well. There is still some rake which is fine. You will potentially scrape the front bumper on big speed bumps but nothing too serious.

tire fitment is obviously just fine still. Grab some 15mm spacers if you’re on the oem forged wheels and the car will surely scratch your itch

back in 2018. Whiteline springs + spacers
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Grille

· Registered
3,041 Posts
Everything he said above. I have them in mine, wouldn't have anything else.

Just be careful of the front end.

Where are you located @janocrema76 ?

I might be able to get you a good deal on them from a supplier I know.......

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I have eibach springs on mine and the ride is much improved. I can tell you I prefer them over white line. My track buddy has white line on his and we both agree the eibach seem to be the better fit for the rs. But keep in mind that it is preference. I’m just very picky about my springs and the eibach seem to provide a better experience.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been running them for years. The ride is improved from factory, the looks are improved as well. There is still some rake which is fine. You will potentially scrape the front bumper on big speed bumps but nothing too serious.

tire fitment is obviously just fine still. Grab some 15mm spacers if you’re on the oem forged wheels and the car will surely scratch your itch

back in 2018. Whiteline springs + spacers
View attachment 364831
Niiiiice

· Registered
91 Posts
Whiteline its the way to go :lowers 0.8 inch front , and 1.25 rear after 1 week of installation . It softsten the ride bu 15 % . In my case i didnt need alignement after install But some people definitelly recommend to do it .

· Registered
151 Posts
Yep I ran whiteline’s lowering springs for about 18 months and they were ok. Thing for me was the back springs needed that extra 5-10mm to be flush with the fronts.
To address it, I removed the OEM rubber spring seat and replaced it with a spring sock. The ride suffered unfortunately, became really harsh, more than you would expect. But it looked better.
I ended up going for a full set of quality KW coilovers which is an improvement in every way. Completely adjustable and that’s my recommendation these days. OEM suspension is garbage and no spring change will fix that.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
What’s exactly did you find better about the eibach over the whiteline? 5 years of autox and track days and I have no complaints. Other than stock level droop
Right off the bat you can tell the whitlines are harsher. Seems the spring rate is just a bit off compared to the eibach. The white line sit a bit lower which isnt always bad but also not always better. I notice the most difference in high speed corners that are not perfectly flat. Anything g that could unsettle the car slightly the eibach seem to inspire more confidence. They are subtle differences but with my background in suspension and racing I tend to notice those.
I have not had them both in hand side by side so I have not been able to measure them. But if I had to guess white line went with a slightly shorter spring. In turn you must stiffen that spring rate up a bit. I think they started with the lower stance for looks then added rate.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
What year is your RS? Is the suspension stock? Is it a DD, weekend car or a track car? Are you driving aggressive street with lots of curves or mostly straight roads with good surface?

Why are you looking at springs? Looks?, Handling? Ride?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What year is your RS? Is the suspension stock? Is it a DD, weekend car or a track car? Are you driving aggressive street with lots of curves or mostly straight roads with good surface?

Why are you looking at springs? Looks?, Handling? Ride?
Hi Louie, the car is a daily driver however I live in a semi rural area where there are some fun roads but the road conditions are craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. The main reason for considering springs is for looks and if there is an improvement in the ride that's a bonus.If the ride becomes more harsh i will not do it. If it makes the car difficult to use as a daily then i wont do it. The RS has been a dream car for me and I don't want to ruin it but i do like to tinker and personalise.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
If your primary concern is looks then the WL springs will work. You didn't indicate which model year you own. The reason this is important is that the pre May 2017 cars had the old design rear dampers and pre Dec 2018 cars had the old style front dampers. SEE POST ON FORD REVISES DAMPERS.

If you are going to change to WL springs you will be removing the front struts anyway. So I'd suggest buying the latest revision front struts and install the WL springs. In the rear, the struts are a simple 3 bolt remove and replacement....easily done when installing the new rear springs. In the US the revised struts were approx $200 each so you can do a complete springs and damper upgrand for approx $1200.

To round out the upgrade add adjustable endlinks to both front and rear to eliminate any pre-loadiing of OE swaybars due to lowering.

The car will ride and handle better.

Makes sure you do an alignment at a good shop.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your primary concern is looks then the WL springs will work. You didn't indicate which model year you own. The reason this is important is that the pre May 2017 cars had the old design rear dampers and pre Dec 2018 cars had the old style front dampers. SEE POST ON FORD REVISES DAMPERS.

If you are going to change to WL springs you will be removing the front struts anyway. So I'd suggest buying the latest revision front struts and install the WL springs. In the rear, the struts are a simple 3 bolt remove and replacement....easily done when installing the new rear springs. In the US the revised struts were approx $200 each so you can do a complete springs and damper upgrand for approx $1200.

To round out the upgrade add adjustable endlinks to both front and rear to eliminate any pre-loadiing of OE swaybars due to lowering.

The car will ride and handle better.

Makes sure you do an alignment at a good shop.
HI Louie, I forgot to answer the question of model year. The car is post May 2017 but pre Dec 18 so it will have the different rear dampers only. Appreciate the advice. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts