Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Which tire will you choose when ordering your FoRS?

• Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Michelin Piot Sport Cup 2

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been reported that there will be the two tire choices for the FoRS when ordering.

One source: http://www.automoblog.net/2015/04/11/2016-ford-focus-rs/

First choice is the 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport shown here:

tire-pilot-super-sport-hero.png

Second option is the track/competition tire 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Cup 2:

tire-pilot-sport-cup-2-hero.png

Which tire are you considering? What are your thoughts on the two tire options?

I'm considering the competition tire since my car isn't going to be much of a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I'm thinking a set of each, since I plan on using the car for both. If I had to choose one over the other it would be the Cup 2s. Then just get some 18" ST wheels for All-season performance tires.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I hate to bring up a negative point but the wheel and tire options are inseparable. You get one set of wheels / tires or the other not a mix and match option.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Both are exceptional tires, the treadwear is the only reason I would spring for the PSS, but the Forged wheels if priced decent are worth it, even if the Cups only last 1 year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would choose the PSS over the Cup2's but I really want those forged wheels if it isn't too expensive. Might be worth a set of tires.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
The RS is going to be a DD for me. I've run sticky tires before on a DD, like the Cup 2's, and I just can't see paying $1600 every year in tires.

The Super Sports are still going to be a great performance tire for those spirited drives around town and in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are mistaken, those are the Michelin Pilot Super Cup 2 tires on the NY car
Isn't the first or probably the last time I've been mistaken. Just re-checked the photos I submitted above and they are the PSC2's given the three grooves on the tire. The PSS's have four grooves. Guess what messed me up was the evenly spaced grooves in the photo I saw and not the extra space on the inner or outer portion of the tire which is another giveaway.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately in my photo it wasn't as clear on the sidewall. And your photos didn't show the tread. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want those forged wheels so I'm going with the cup 2s but will likely bring a different set of tires or even 18" wheels with me to the dealer on delivery day and have them swap em out. I'll use the cup 2s as my track pair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The forged wheel saves 1.5 pounds verses non forged. Cup2 saves 2 pounds compared to Super Sport. So, is 3.5 fewer pounds per wheel going to be noticeable? I know that eight fewer pounds per wheel is really different (from my 2008 WRX STI driving experience).

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I guess I'm getting the cup 2s if that's the only way I can get the forged wheels. I just hope I don't hate downgrading the tire after the cup 2s ware.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The forged wheel saves 1.5 pounds verses non forged. Cup2 saves 2 pounds compared to Super Sport. So, is 3.5 fewer pounds per wheel going to be noticeable? I know that eight fewer pounds per wheel is really different (from my 2008 WRX STI driving experience).
Rotational or unsprung mass has the equivalent of 1:10 lbs. So 3.5 lbs per corner has the same effect of dropping 140 overall of sprung mass. Don't forget about the added stiffness from a Forged wheel as well. As for a difference it would be noticeable if you swapped rims and tires back to back, but after a few days or a week I don't think you would realize any more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts