Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still need to get a hitch for my bike rack, tired of cramming bike in the trunk or borrowing my wife's car with the hitch.

For those of you with a hitch, which one did you get and what do you like/dislike about it?

I think the only options are still the Curt and Torklift, both in 2"? Or did anybody finally come out with a 1 1/4?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the Torklift. I like it. Haven't seen a Curt hitch in person. I think people dig the Curt due to weight. I bet most people would suggest the Curt. I thought the Curt was 1-1/4".

I like to think the 2" racks are more stable. Is that enough of a reason to go to the 2"? probably not.

As strange as it may sound, I like having the 2" hitch, as it makes the car look tough, ha ha!

Either will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts

I've got this 1.25" one and it's been out quite a while, not sure why/where you only can find 2" receivers : https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C114893.html

Install is very straight forward, although we found that more needs to be cut off the lower part of the valence than the instructions make it out to be, but it's not something one would notice unless you pointed it out

·
Read Only
37 Posts
I still need to get a hitch for my bike rack, tired of cramming bike in the trunk or borrowing my wife's car with the hitch.

For those of you with a hitch, which one did you get and what do you like/dislike about it?

I think the only options are still the Curt and Torklift, both in 2"? Or did anybody finally come out with a 1 1/4?
I use a seasucker and love it. On and off quickly. Never an issue.

What I love is when I'm not hauling a bike, I can easily remove it.

www.seasucker.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a seasucker and love it. On and off quickly. Never an issue.

What I love is when I'm not hauling a bike, I can easily remove it.

www.seasucker.com
Wouldn’t the sea sucker trash your paint job? I know by the time I am ready to leave the trail, the car’s often covered with dust from dirt-road-trailhead, pollen from the woods, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
37 Posts
Wouldn’t the sea sucker trash your paint job? I know by the time I am ready to leave the trail, the car’s often covered with dust from dirt-road-trailhead, pollen from the woods, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Probably would want to make sure the specific places you are putting the suction cups are clean. I've never had a problem, but I am 90 percent road bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize the Curt was 1 1/4, that's great to know and I'll probably go this route. My rack is a 1 1/4" with a 2" adapter, so I doubt it would be any more stable in the 2" receiver unless the Curt 1 1/4" is flimsy.

I've looked in the past at the SeaSucker and it's a really neat concept. I'd probably stick it to the moonroof in front but would be paranoid about the paint contact in the rear. I'm sure religiously cleaning and waxing paint before each use would probably eliminate problems, but I'd still be paranoid.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I didn't realize the Curt was 1 1/4, that's great to know and I'll probably go this route. My rack is a 1 1/4" with a 2" adapter, so I doubt it would be any more stable in the 2" receiver unless the Curt 1 1/4" is flimsy.

I've looked in the past at the SeaSucker and it's a really neat concept. I'd probably stick it to the moonroof in front but would be paranoid about the paint contact in the rear. I'm sure religiously cleaning and waxing paint before each use would probably eliminate problems, but I'd still be paranoid.
I realized I forgot to post a picture of the hitch receiver "at rest" :)

IMG_3912.HEIC.jpg

·
Registered
772 Posts
That looks pretty slick tucked away. I have a couple of bikes I'd like to transport, looks like this would be perfect.

Curt's website claims 2000lbs towing, 200lb tongue weight. 2000lbs sounds way too high for a unibody small vehicle. Is it actually 2000lbs? Also, how does one measure what the tongue weight of a given thing is? What's the tongue weight of a loaded 2 or 3-bike rack?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Curt hitch with a 1up rack. Fantastic setup with no complaints. Check my thread about the hitch for pics.

2” hitch on a car this size looks about as bad as truck nutz

View attachment 204042

1up rack fits in nice and tight with the bumper, and when lowered sits comfortably above the exhaust tips so you aren't roasting your bike tyres too badly. Which has been a problem for me on previous cars.
View attachment 204050

View attachment 204058

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have the Curt 1.25" as well. Install was not hard. Although, I had read in the Curt thread that the hitch sits too high & causes bowing in the diffuser. So prior to installing it, I notched out the hitch so that it would sit lower. It still bows the diffuser a little, but I'd bet that I'm the only one that notices.

A comment on stability: I haven't had a platform style bike rack before, so when I buy one it will be my first. But everything that I've read about this indicates that if you're only going for a one or two bike setup (especially if the bikes & the rack are light), 1.25" will work great & stability won't be an issue. Where stability seems to come in is when you have 3 or 4 bikes on a rack. It becomes a really big leverage point with the end bike so far from the hitch. This seems like it's where a 2" would be preferable. At most, I'll have 2 bikes on mine & they're both pretty light. So 1.25" will be fine. I'm going for the Quick Rack Mach 2 if it actually gets produced soon (I'm in the top 50 on the list).

And @swagopopotamus, I totally agree. 2" just looks out of place on this car to my eyes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where stability seems to come in is when you have 3 or 4 bikes on a rack. It becomes a really big leverage point with the end bike so far from the hitch. This seems like it's where a 2" would be preferable.
Even if you had a 2” hitch I would NOT recommend putting 4 bikes on a hitch rack with this car. 4 bikes on the back of my FJ had significant negative effects on handling. This car does not have the suspension to handle that kind of weight hanging that far back.

If you want to put 4 bikes on this car do 2 on the roof and 2 on the hitch like I do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the discussion.
I have the 1.25" 1up USA rack for 1 bike with another bike add-on, so at most I will carry is 2. I don't feel like it would be a good idea to put more weight on the back of this car even with the 2".
Today I just ordered the Curt, looking forward to not having to stuff bikes in the hatch any more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Curt hitch looks like my next purchase. Hopefully, nothing changed in the '18. Paddle board on the roof, bikes out back!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
So I’m going to buy the uhaul focus RS trailer hitch (their website is giving me problems so can’t do that yet). Just wondering what trailer wiring people have done? I’ve seen a plug and play wiring loom but it seems I can’t find a Canadian distributor. I have no interest in splicing my oem wiring loom especially if plug and play kits exist.

Suggestions? Edit: I see curt sells a p&p wiring harness

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I don't think anything is plug in play from the research I did before buying my stuff.

This kit is *almost* plug and play but it needs a power wire run to the battery

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/118674.html

I have the power wire run from the battery to the driver side tail light area but I have yet to hook it all up since all I use is my bike trailer (which of course has no lights)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I’m going to buy the uhaul focus RS trailer hitch (their website is giving me problems so can’t do that yet). Just wondering what trailer wiring people have done? I’ve seen a plug and play wiring loom but it seems I can’t find a Canadian distributor. I have no interest in splicing my oem wiring loom especially if plug and play kits exist.

Suggestions? Edit: I see curt sells a p&p wiring harness
Etrailer has a couple plug and play harnesses, web site says they ship to Canada but I guess that's probably a bit more expensive than a local distributor

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I don't think anything is plug in play from the research I did before buying my stuff.

This kit is *almost* plug and play but it needs a power wire run to the battery

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/118674.html

I have the power wire run from the battery to the driver side tail light area but I have yet to hook it all up since all I use is my bike trailer (which of course has no lights)

Running a power wire is easy as hell, I consider that plug and play. The low end cheap 4 plug trailer harnesses require you to splice into your tail light harness and have a tonne if ugly crimp style connectors. I am not doing that, so a lot that is virtually plug and play and just wire in ground/12v is easy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts