Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked and I could not find a thread specifically for Accessport mounting and setups?...

Here's a pic of mine, Using just a universal phone mount on the windscreen.
Been good for 3 months so far, very pleased with the cheap ebay mount

I am wondering on how people are hiding majority of the Accessport cable?
and has anyone figured out a way to close the cover infront of the odb port with the accessport connected?

accessport.JPG

Edit** sorry for rubbish picture,

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, it would seem that to the outside of the wheel on the windshield would be the traditional spot,
with the only other good place is where I put mine, on the inside above the vent.
CRW_5572.jpg
Depending how I have the wheel adjusted, I can start/stop a datalog w/o taking my hand off the wheel.
CRW_5580.jpg
Also, regarding my 9500ix, I can mute an alarm with my hand on the shift knob too.

Both cables slide up under the dash panel, then to either the OBDII port, or the A pillar.
CRW_5581.jpg
When I unplug the AP, I just tuck the cable in next to the steering column, you can barely see it.
CRW_5589.jpg

Regarding the OBDII port cover... I just took a wire cutter and a box cutter and hacked out the stupid
plastic inset "handle" that was preventing me from closing the door.
CRW_5585.jpg
CRW_5584.jpg

You could probably be a little more carefully, and make the edges a little smoother, just don't
slice your arm off with the box cutter, that plastic is a ***** to cut evenly.
CRW_5587.jpg
CRW_5588.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it would seem that to the outside of the wheel on the windshield would be the traditional spot,
with the only other good place is where I put mine, on the inside above the vent.

Regarding the OBDII port cover... I just took a wire cutter and a box cutter and hacked out the stupid
plastic inset "handle" that was preventing me from closing the door.

View attachment 128618

You could probably be a little more carefully, and make the edges a little smoother, just don't
slice your arm off with the box cutter, that plastic is a ***** to cut evenly.

That looks good, however I think the UK/AUS version is different to your US version.
We have a compartment on the back of the cover? or have you taken yours off?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's mine. windshield mount with all wiring hidden and wrapped around the mount and behind the a-pillar. View attachment 128121
Looks good running cable down the a pillar, Might have a go on the weekend.
Do you have any dramas with battery usage having it plugged in all the time?

I had mine plugged in for 5 straight days and the battery V was down around 12v, thought it should be around 13/14v??

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think the UK/AUS version is different to your US version. We have
a compartment on the back of the cover? or have you taken yours off?
Hmmm, a "compartment"? Didn't notice one. Regardless, it's gone now! :p

i used to have my AP mounted there, over two years the adhesive
failed three times. hope you have better luck than I did.
Yeah, glass is the best surface to adhese things to. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I do believe the OBDII connection on the car will just pop loose and you can tuck everything back under the dash a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use the Cobb mount.
20170202_092201.jpg
I pushed the OBD port out of it's holder and connected the Accessport inside the dash.
20170202_092212.jpg
Routed the cable through the opening around the steering wheel.
20170202_092156.jpg

Reactions: Zellhound and KRASH

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Does the RS have A-pillar curtain airbags? If so no A-pillar mount unless you want to eat a couple hundred mph Cobb box.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Interesting! will have a look tonight.
Thankyou!
It absolutely will do so. And you can do even more interesting things with an OBDII splitter if you order the right one. My car has a Delphi GPS tracker attached to one of the connectors, Accessport on another (both connections hidden behind the door panel) and the third one back in place where the original one is snapped in. Clean, hidden, perfect. Search on Amazon for splitters and you will see the range available. Here is the one I use --

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 8.42.40 PM.png

1 - 20 of 59 Posts