Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You're gonna have to be more specific there bud... Meaty as in?...Are you asking for size? Ie width or with a lot of sidewall? Are we talking big thread blocks? Brands that run wide? I can go on and on...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
For 18" rims, what are some meaty tires I can look at? Open for suggestions.
If I completely ignore the potential wheel specs

- if stock ride height, go 245/40r18. Larger than stock in height and width but fits
- if lowered but oem alignment, go 255/35r18. Lots of choice, I’ve run a few sets in this size, perfect
- if lowered with aftermarket alignment, run 265/35r18. Fairly wide but can fit with negative camber for most wheels

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some negative camber, it is lowered on coilovers but not too much. I have never bought wheels and I always figured I would keep the Stock RS wheels but now I do want to change them out. Wanted to go with 18 rims but as for tires something that wouldnt lower my car anymore then the fact I already went from 19 to 18 in rim size. I dont know if I'm explaining this clear enough to paint a picture. If not I am truly sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For 18" rims, what are some meaty tires I can look at? Open for suggestions.
If I completely ignore the potential wheel specs

- if stock ride height, go 245/40r18. Larger than stock in height and width but fits
- if lowered but oem alignment, go 255/35r18. Lots of choice, I’ve run a few sets in this size, perfect
- if lowered with aftermarket alignment, run 265/35r18. Fairly wide but can fit with negative camber for most wheels

Bigger sidewall I would say to make up for the wheel downsize.....or is that not a good idea?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have some negative camber, it is lowered on coilovers but not too much. I have never bought wheels and I always figured I would keep the Stock RS wheels but now I do want to change them out. Wanted to go with 18 rims but as for tires something that wouldnt lower my car anymore then the fact I already went from 19 to 18 in rim size. I dont know if I'm explaining this clear enough to paint a picture. If not I am truly sorry.
Are you trying to minimize the wheel gap (ie fill in the space between the tire and the wheel well?) I've been running 245/40-18 for both my OZ 18x8 +45 wheels (daily and track wheels). You can possibly get away with a 255/40-18 with a 8.5" wheel, but then I think you might run the risk of rubbing depending on your wheel offset, ride height and camber.

If you really want more sidewall, consider moving even farther down to 17's, but that greatly limits your wheel options (https://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/58913-rs-compatible-17-wheels-thread.html). This was the direction I wanted to go for "more meaty" tires since I really like the look and ended up getting the Braids and plan to have 245/45-17 tires on them.

I like using the "tire comparison" tool on this site to get a good idea of how the tire size compares to the stock

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
To me, 235/40/18 are ideal for this car. If you are going for looks 245's. But I'd go 40 series for protection. No fan of skinny tires. Them and pot holes and road imperfections don't mix. My stock 19's were all sold to people (parted them out) who ruined a stock wheel due to a bad road. You need some meat on that sidewall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you trying to minimize the wheel gap (ie fill in the space between the tire and the wheel well?) I've been running 245/40-18 for both my OZ 18x8 +45 wheels (daily and track wheels). You can possibly get away with a 255/40-18 with a 8.5" wheel, but then I think you might run the risk of rubbing depending on your wheel offset, ride height and camber.

If you really want more sidewall, consider moving even farther down to 17's, but that greatly limits your wheel options (https://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/58913-rs-compatible-17-wheels-thread.html). This was the direction I wanted to go for "more meaty" tires since I really like the look and ended up getting the Braids and plan to have 245/45-17 tires on them.

I like using the "tire comparison" tool on this site to get a good idea of how the tire size compares to the stock

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I've been looking at 245/40r18 but I was not sure. Not a fan of the thin tire. Roads feels uncomfortable at times especially here in Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Do you have pictures of you wheel/tire setup' I am considering OZ Ultaleggera's with Michelin PS4 in the same sizes as yours.
18" OZ Rallyracings w/ 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's for daily
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/3848-rs-compatible-18-wheels-thread-70.html#post1334178

18" OZ Hyper GTs w/ 245/40-18 Hankook RS-4's for track
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/3848-rs-compatible-18-wheels-thread-108.html#post2218624

I've been looking at 245/40r18 but I was not sure. Not a fan of the thin tire. Roads feels uncomfortable at times especially here in Los Angeles
There was definitely a noticeable improvement in comfort and compliance after I moved from 19 to 18. All of the impacts from bumps, dips, pot holes, freeway expansion joints, etc. feel more muted and less jarring when going over them. I'm hoping the jump to 17's will improve that even more.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Bigger sidewall I would say to make up for the wheel downsize.....or is that not a good idea?
Uhh, yes that’s correct.

Oem is 235/35r19. 255/35r18 has the same percent aspect ratio for a wider tire, so sidewall is technically taller. 245/40r18 has a higher % aspect ratio for a wider than oem tire, so more sidewall. Same goes for 265/35r18.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It also depends on the width of the wheel. 245/40/18 is good for 18x8 and 18x8.5, not so much for 18x9. The wheel pokes too much imo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, fyi a 265/35/18 is very close in diameter to the 235/35/19. If you don’t like thin tires get a 18x9.5 *40 offset rim like an NT-03, get a set of 265/35/18, add a little negative camber. Boom! You will be stoked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts