Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am aware, to a degree, that a light wheel is usually the best options. Now what about for everyday use? I do plan on tracking my car once and a while, but 99% of time it's to and from work. Maybe some 1/4 mile stuff also. Any case, would it be a noticeable difference between the optional forged wheels, the stock wheels, and the Ford Racing 19" RS wheels.

I have not been able to get exact weights on the stock and forged RS wheels, other than the forged are about 2 lbs lighter. So I'm thinking 20 pounds or so, the stock at 22lbs, and the Ford Racing is listed at 27lbs (according to web site).

So would it really make that BIG a difference? I really like the look of the Ford Racing white wheel. And remember, this will be a DD for the most part.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe the forged are 25.7 lbs, the stocks are 27lbs....not sure about Ford racing. Look at oz racing wheels...they have some 19's at around 17lbs each....costly...but if your willing to pay for a custom wheel....they can fit you with some pretty light wheels, 18's also are light.

Wheels - OZ Racing

·
Registered
892 Posts
So I am aware, to a degree, that a light wheel is usually the best options. Now what about for everyday use? I do plan on tracking my car once and a while, but 99% of time it's to and from work. Maybe some 1/4 mile stuff also. Any case, would it be a noticeable difference between the optional forged wheels, the stock wheels, and the Ford Racing 19" RS wheels.

I have not been able to get exact weights on the stock and forged RS wheels, other than the forged are about 2 lbs lighter. So I'm thinking 20 pounds or so, the stock at 22lbs, and the Ford Racing is listed at 27lbs (according to web site).

So would it really make that BIG a difference? I really like the look of the Ford Racing white wheel. And remember, this will be a DD for the most part.
Team dynamics pro race 1.2's weight under 20# for an 18x8 setup, and they come in white also ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Everyday driving will definitely see a benifit from lighter wheels. In addition to having everything that benifits the car on the race track, the engine won't have to work as hard to turn those massive boat anchors. So in turn it will be more efficient and get even better gas mileage. If the stock cast wheels were down sized and Forged, that would be a weight savings of nearly 10 pounds per corner. Factor in that it is rotational mass, that 40 pounds turns into nearly a full grown persons weight being shaved off the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You won't notice a difference. While a lighter wheel offers many advantages, you would need to be a very experienced driver running consistent laps within a few tenths (most likely hundredths) of each other.

I'm going with the forged because they are stronger. They will stand up to the abuse of pounding the curbs on the track. they also look easier to clean.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You won't notice a difference. While a lighter wheel offers many advantages, you would need to be a very experienced driver running consistent laps within a few tenths (most likely hundredths) of each other.

I'm going with the forged because they are stronger. They will stand up to the abuse of pounding the curbs on the track. they also look easier to clean.
While 2lbs at each corner wont' make much difference for handling, but the biggest gain will be in braking and acceleration. 2lbs makes a difference, not a huge one, but measurable. 5lbs at each corner would be massive. Remember this is rotating weight, not just unsprung, or even static weight.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

Actually you will notice some difference because of the moment of torque: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Wheel and tire weight...how much does it really matter?
Wheel Tech Information - Road Wheel Weights Can Affect Your Vehicle's Show...& Go!
Wheel Tech, Part I: Wheel Weight Slows You Down | Tuner University

While not major, it is noticeable beyond hundredths and beyond tenths. ... But if that is how you justified not buying forged wheel then so be it. :smug::topsy_turvy::smug:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know exactly what the weight is for the stock and forged RS wheels yet? I was just speculating the weight.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You might want to check this out and take another shot on that one. More like a 4+ second lap time difference on a 1:30 course.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachments/focus-st-wheels-tires/13174d1372955732-fast-ford-s-lightweight-wheel-test-fast-ford-wheel-test.pdf

Does anyone know exactly what the weight is for the stock and forged RS wheels yet? I was just speculating the weight.
Nope, Ford refuses to answer that question. I posed it several times when the Official question thread was active. My guess is stock wheels are 27 lbs (they are cast aluminium 19" wheels just like the wheels on tire rack) and the forged are 25 lbs. Which is why I'm going with a 18.6lb after market 18" wheel. Cheaper tires, lighter rims and more sidewall.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will stick with my Ford Racing white RS wheels then if the weight is the same 27lbs. I only track on occasion and only drive 10 miles round-trip to work. I live in Las Vegas with very smooth roads and not potholes.

Focus RS before white mirror.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand completely the difference considering it's unsprung, rotational weight. The reality is, the OP won't notice the difference. Not even if he tried both back to back on the same day on his commute to work. Not even if he tried both back to back at the track. The PSC2's would be a very noticeable difference.

If you read my entire post, I ordered the forged. I've got a few laps under my belt. ;-)

The forged wheels will be stronger and are a great value for the price. You won't notice a difference in performance for the wheels alone. Sorry.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My personal experience with this is with my current '14 FoST. I am running Cooper snows on steelies in the winter and the combination feels twice as heavy as the OEM wheels with stock tires. Aside from the obvious differences in traction between Goodyear F1 summers and the snows, I really can't tell a difference in performance of the suspension. FWIW, I'm not comparing apples to apples because they are different sizes, 17" steelies vice 18", narrower tire, and taller sidewall. Just sayin', around town no difference to me and I drive the sh1t out of my car at times.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think I will stick with my Ford Racing white RS wheels then if the weight is the same 27lbs. I only track on occasion and only drive 10 miles round-trip to work. I live in Las Vegas with very smooth roads and not potholes.
I'm sure they'll look sweet on the NB. Just FYI, brake dust will show up really easy. They might be a pain to keep clean.

Edit: I see you added the picture. I was right lol they do look awesome.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I understand completely the difference considering it's unsprung, rotational weight. The reality is, the OP won't notice the difference. Not even if he tried both back to back on the same day on his commute to work. Not even if he tried both back to back at the track. The PSC2's would be a very noticeable difference.

If you read my entire post, I ordered the forged. I've got a few laps under my belt. ;-)

The forged wheels will be stronger and are a great value for the price. You won't notice a difference in performance for the wheels alone. Sorry.
No offense, but the data says otherwise. 4 seconds off of a 1:30 lap time is a noticeable difference.

The tests have been great fun to do and have produced
some interesting results. I know all about the physics
of reducing unsprung weight but I have to admit I was surprised by how much
difference the Pro Race wheels made, especially on the handling circuit.
“They really did transform the car and if I didn’t know would quite happily
believe you if you told me that someone had removed 50kg from the car! I would
strongly recommend fitting lightweight wheels for anyone who wants to improve
their car, as they clearly have performance benefits in all areas.

·
Registered
190 Posts
According to my handy converter, the wheels in the test were 7lbs lighter, not 2lbs like the RS forged over stock. The RS weighs more than the ST so the difference will be less noticeable. There's at least one other test out there showing heavier wheels were faster. (Tire Rack I believe)

The physics is sound. Lighter is better. You won't notice. Sorry. I'll spot you the lighter wheels at Sebring. Let's see who's faster. ;-)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My personal experience with this is with my current '14 FoST. I am running Cooper snows on steelies in the winter and the combination feels twice as heavy as the OEM wheels with stock tires. Aside from the obvious differences in traction between Goodyear F1 summers and the snows, I really can't tell a difference in performance of the suspension. FWIW, I'm not comparing apples to apples because they are different sizes, 17" steelies vice 18", narrower tire, and taller sidewall. Just sayin', around town no difference to me and I drive the sh1t out of my car at times.
Its not something you can really feel in the seat of the pants.

But it IS measurable.

An extreme example is the GT350R vs non-R wheels.

Do the Shelby GT350R?s Carbon-Fiber Wheels Help Performance? ? Feature ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

The GT350R is an extreme example because the wheels are about 15lbs per corner lighter.

There is also this article which goes over wheel weight as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gyQbgYjXzfNkJNWTRBVGRhNzA/view?usp=sharing

In the 2nd case, the wheels were 7lbs lighter per wheel. That is much larger than the 2lbs for the RS Forged rims. But you can see there are gains to be had, just nothing you will feel directly. The strongest effects will be on acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why is it that when I put a lighter wheel/tire(R-comps up to temp) combo on my track car, I get considerably more wheel spin and more aggressive throttle response?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Why is it that when I put a lighter wheel/tire(R-comps up to temp) combo on my track car, I get considerably more wheel spin and more aggressive throttle response?
Because the wheels act like a flywheel. The lighter the flywheel, the less energy it can store. So the more is actually put on the ground.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
According to my handy converter, the wheels in the test were 7lbs lighter, not 2lbs like the RS forged over stock. The RS weighs more than the ST so the difference will be less noticeable. There's at least one other test out there showing heavier wheels were faster. (Tire Rack I believe)

The physics is sound. Lighter is better. You won't notice. Sorry. I'll spot you the lighter wheels at Sebring. Let's see who's faster. ;-)
We can agree to disagree. For the record though, I'm not advocating buying the Forged wheels for the performance benefit. I'm talking about stepping down to an 18" rim which will save about 7.5 lbs (27lbs - 18.6lbs + 1lb for the extra rubber).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts