Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Wheel choice - i need some help

7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Jonny_80 
#1 ·
First off hello to everyone here in the forum since this is my first post :)

Now to my issue:

For the past 3 days i've been reading through the various wheel and tire size threads without actually finding a good solution for my conundrum. I recently bought a used RS and it only came with winter tires on the stock 18" rims. Now I need some wheels and tires for summer and i'm trying to find the perfect match and i've read different opinions from different people regarding different setups, the rota grid 18" 9.5 +38 are a good example where half the people say they will rub the other half says they won't (although they do seem to poke out ridiculously at least from what i can tell on the pictures).

My requirements for the wheels are:

Fits on a stock suspension setup without rubbing (car will not be lowered although camber plates and arms might come in later but i can't lower the car due to road conditions around here).
Fits a lot of tire (255+ preferably).
Doesn't poke out beyond the fender at the top (this is actually a law in Austria, the top of the wheel has to be in line or behind the fender).
I'm open to 18" or 19" suggestions.
optimally the tire isn't stretched or bulged too much.
It would be a great bonus if the wheel didn't need hub rings.

If you are running something like this and could post a picture and specs of the wheels and tires that would be great. I want to order something next month and have to decide until then what I want ^^

Design wise i'd love something simple and concave, like the rota grid or bola b1, but that is not that important, i'm sure i'll find a wheel I like if I know which setup I have to look for.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the question, I know this probably came up a lot, but even after spending hours browsing the various wheel and tire topics I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Best Regards,
Greg

See less See more
#5 ·
That's what i'm wondering, I saw some people post 265 on 19x9.5 that supposedly fit stock suspension, it seems to mostly depend on offset is what i gathered so far, but i'd like some more examples before i buy anything and waste money

#7 ·
If you are worried about road conditions, then you probably want 18s. I am pretty sure there are guys running 18x9.5 ET45(ish) on stock suspensions - you might want to contact someone like Vorshlag because they sell a fitment in 18x9.5.

FYI my car has 19x9 ET47 Forgestar CF5s and I run 265/30/19 Yokohama AD08Rs. Hard for me to say if they would work with stock suspension because when I had the Mountune springs, I got some rubbing on the outside edge of the front tire treads at the top of the fender. I got camber plates and dialed in a more camber and now they are fine. The AD08Rs have a very wide tread compared to other brands in the same size (you can find treadwidth info on tirerack.com) so maybe with a PS4S or something it would work.

#8 ·
If you don’t want it to poke, stop looking at rota grids dude. Perfect flush fitment is around18x9 et38 if you don’t want to fûck around with fender rolling. I run 18x8.75 et35 with 255/35r18. Anyone who “fits” those grids or the like are on oem suspension and run silly mexi-poke

#9 ·
I have 18x9 38 offset and I’m running 265s with a lot of poke. My buddy has same brand of wheels and specs, just different style, and is running 245s and has flush fitment. I believe 255 would have slight poke but still maintain the look you’re going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I’m on stock suspension. Titan T-R10 18x9 et38 no rings or spacers needed. 265/35/18 Continental Extremecontact Sport tires. No rubbing with a couple thousand miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm that looks good but like you said a lot of poke, it's less of an issue of what I want it to look like and more a law problem with "if its visibly poking we can take off your plates" where I live. I think ET42 would actually be perfect for flush fitment on a 18x9 wheel but I can't really find any in that configuration. In one of the other wheel threads i found this guy yesterday wit pretty much the exact setup i'd love to have but I can't find anyone selling the wheels in this size, they are rota grid in 18x9 ET42 which fit perfectly and should be able to handle the 255 or 265 tires :/

/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/86914-post-pics-your-ford-focus-rs-wheel-setup-2.html#post1720249 i can't post links yet, but it's a post in this forum so just exchange the part you have now with this to see it ^^

Does anyone have any idea where to get those wheels in that size? I'll contact rota myself today maybe they know a retailer that sells those

#12 ·
So here is an update from my side for anyone interested. A guy from an english wheel dealership was so nice as to borrow an RS from a local ford dealer and test fit the wheels I wanted. The Bola B1 (looks identical to the Rota Grid as they are also a "copy" of the TE37) in 18x9.5 (these were in ET42), here are the pictures of the test fitting.
Washing machine Blue Alloy wheel Wheel Major appliance

Blue Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Pipe Auto part

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

I ordered mine in hyper black and ET44 (should technically fit since in regards to strut clearance, since some people are running 18x9.5 in ET45 successfully without rubbing on stock suspension during auto X)
Calipers are cleared and have a lot of room.
Unlike with the Rota grid that you can only get in ET38 these should have a lot less poke.

I'll upgrade this post once my wheels arrive and I've put some rubber on them and tested the fitment during driving.

If these wheels fit this would be a great option for anyone wanting to run wide wheels since every Bola B1 is machined to your whishes so you can choose the ET you want and they are only 910€ for a set of 4 in 18x9.5

Attachments

#13 ·
Another update on my progress. The wheels arrived and it's a tight fit but no rubbing on the testdrive with the wheels fully turned to both sides, going over speedbumps, quick steering to make the chassis move etc. I only installed one wheel to check if it fits at all and will put on the other three tomorrow.

Pics and Videos from the fitting of that one wheel can be found on my google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-Z0D5AZqe5vFxKhl3GImqbIBSSoECPPj

Basically there is about 5mm between strut and the wheel and its perfectly flush with the arches. This is on stock suspension. The wheels look absolutely stunning in hyper black on the car btw

#15 · (Edited)
I'll answer your question in this reply and also give a final update on everything.

They fit and I've had no rubbing after some spirited driving and having them on for about 150kms now. I'm running Falken Azenis F510K in 265/35/R18 on them since most options used by the US guys are not available here in R18 so I had very limited options but I have to say I'm really happy with the tires so far. I did not weight them because everything was a bit hectic when they arrived so I didn't get around to it before fitting the tires, but you could ask a dealer to weigh them for you I guess. Turriff Tyres Ltd the guys that borrowed the RS to testfit the wheels usually have some in 18x9.5 on stock you could ask them, but make sure to order from there if you do order ^^

Here are some pics of how they look on the car now with everything fully installed:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Race car Rim

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Race car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Ford motor company

#16 ·
I'm on stock suspension and went with Project 6GR 19x9.5 et42 wheels. You need to go a size down on the tires (i.e. I'm running 255/35/19). The wheels fit flush to the fenders and I've had them on for two seasons now and haven't had a single issue with rubbing.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Alloy wheel Sky

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Alloy wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.