Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
A moonroof adds weight, body flex, reduces headroom, lets in cancer causing UV rays, and costs more... hell no.
Actually, the moonroof costs less only $895 :p:p

The forge wheels cost $1,395 or $1,995 depending on whether you get the Michelin Cup 2 Track Summer Tires or not.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nobody plans to bend their wheels. But as someone who lives in a city that does a terrible job maintaining their roads, sometimes potholes are unavoidable. It only takes 1 new or unavoidable pothole to bend a wheel.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, the moonroof costs less only $895 :p:p

The forge wheels cost $1,395 or $1,995 depending on whether you get the Michelin Cup 2 Track Summer Tires or not.

YMMV,

MidCow3
I meant "costs more" as in it costs more than a model without a moonroof. I see no point to a moonroof so I'd rather not have it and save some cash, hence the comparison. Yeah i should have worded that better. $895 would get me 224 more double quarter pounders from mcdonalds over my lifetime. Mmmmmmm delicious.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I meant "costs more" as in it costs more than a model without a moonroof. I see no point to a moonroof so I'd rather not have it and save some cash, hence the comparison. Yeah i should have worded that better. $895 would get me 224 more double quarter pounders from mcdonalds over my lifetime. Mmmmmmm delicious.
Okay gotcha ..... but the thread's title is "What would you rather have, moon roof or the forged wheels" implies you are selecting either a moon roof or forged wheels. ... just saying :rolleyes:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
167 Posts
I see a lot of figures used on the forum, but not sure which of them are facts and which people make up to support their opinion. I like the lower moment of interia of the forged wheels. If I were picking one (literal interpretation of the thread title), I would get just the wheels. All things being equal, I like the extra light and open air of the moonroof. I will be using the RS mostly as my daily driver, and actually ordered both.

Of course, all things are not equal. Thanks to this thread, now I'm second guessing the moonroof. As I posted previously, the specs from Ford indicate the moonroof only takes 1 mm away from headroom. People seem to forget that there is normally a gap between the headliner and the sheetmetal. I'm only 5'11", so between the two, I'm not worried about clearance.

Weight is another story, and one I wasn't thinking about when I ordered. Even looking at the different FoST specs, hard facts seem to be hard to come by. Based on the specs of aftermarket units, 30-50 lbs seems like a reasonable range. Guessing the sheetmetal, headliner and insulation it will displace weigh maybe 10 lbs. That's a net penalty of 20-40 lbs, but...does anyone know what the Focus moonroof actually weighs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went with the forged wheels and no sunroof. I've always bought sunroofs with my cars and never used them. Beyond that my thinking is that less weight up high and less weight in the wheels is good for performance and performance is a big reason for purchasing this car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agreed that my ST moonroof is definitely nothing to shake a stick at. It's very small and doesn't open very far (even with the extra 0.5" you get by pressing the button again). I also find that 90% of the time I keep the shade closed, not to mention the roof itself. And I live in Florida where it can be open from Oct-May.

Due to the steep rake of the windshield, the roof is placed fairly far back so you don't get the benefit of feeling like you're in an open-aire vehicle when it's open...which you would in, say, a Mini.

I'm actually going for the forged wheels on the RS just because they'll be stronger than the base alloys...the weight difference is not a deal-breaker for me. There are little to no potholes in FL and the roads here are great, but damn the ST's alloy wheels are fragile. One of mine got bent right after I bought the car (I'm not even sure how), and it was incredibly frustrating to diagnose. Ended up replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay gotcha ..... but the thread's title is "What would you rather have, moon roof or the forged wheels" implies you are selecting either a moon roof or forged wheels. ... just saying :rolleyes:

YMMV,

MidCow3
Exactly. I thought that with my choice to go moonroof-less, it was automatically implied that i choose the forged wheels instead. I really should articulate my thoughts better. Mah bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see a lot of figures used on the forum, but not sure which of them are facts and which people make up to support their opinion. I like the lower moment of interia of the forged wheels. If I were picking one (literal interpretation of the thread title), I would get just the wheels. All things being equal, I like the extra light and open air of the moonroof. I will be using the RS mostly as my daily driver, and actually ordered both.

Of course, all things are not equal. Thanks to this thread, now I'm second guessing the moonroof. As I posted previously, the specs from Ford indicate the moonroof only takes 1 mm away from headroom. People seem to forget that there is normally a gap between the headliner and the sheetmetal. I'm only 5'11", so between the two, I'm not worried about clearance.

Weight is another story, and one I wasn't thinking about when I ordered. Even looking at the different FoST specs, hard facts seem to be hard to come by. Based on the specs of aftermarket units, 30-50 lbs seems like a reasonable range. Guessing the sheetmetal, headliner and insulation it will displace weigh maybe 10 lbs. That's a net penalty of 20-40 lbs, but...does anyone know what the Focus moonroof actually weighs?
If its your daily driver, i wouldn't fret about it. Even if it weighs 90 lbs. You won't notice it during spirited street driving or the occasional track day. You're also not tall enough to cause interior headroom issues. You have to be a serious race car driver to even have a possibility of noticing the extra weight and be carefully analyzing your lap times. I intend to heavily track the car which is why im so anti-moonroof. Any weight savings is good to me. You on the other hand should be completely fine. According to the focus st forums, the weight gain is 60-80 lbs. Still, its nothing noticeable unless you're on the complete ragged edge of grip, trying to shave off 0.09 seconds.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If its your daily driver, i wouldn't fret about it. Even if it weighs 90 lbs. You won't notice it during spirited street driving or the occasional track day. You're also not tall enough to cause interior headroom issues. You have to be a serious race car driver to even have a possibility of noticing the extra weight and be carefully analyzing your lap times. I intend to heavily track the car which is why im so anti-moonroof. Any weight savings is good to me. You on the other hand should be completely fine. According to the focus st forums, the weight gain is 60-80 lbs. Still, its nothing noticeable unless you're on the complete ragged edge of grip, trying to shave off 0.09 seconds.
Thanks. I'm not a serious race driver, but it really can't be 60-80 lbs can it? That's the kind of info I've seen on the forums, but never tied to Ford documentation. Often the same people say it takes an inch or more from head room, when Ford states 1mm. If an after market unit weighs less than 50, and it displaces existing roof, it should be about half that. Does anyone know what the OEM actually adds to net curb weight?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm 6'2 195lbs, and I fit in an ST3 w/ moonroof just fine. It's been my daily driver 2 years now. It's also worth noting that I tend to sit very upright, and I still have at least an inch of headroom left. In my opinion, the moon roof is totally worth the money, to me at least. Yes, you're adding ~50lbs to the top of the car, but having the sunroof open on a sunny 75 degree day vastly outweighs the hundredth (totally guessing here) of a second it would add to my lap times.
A helmet can add 1.75 inches of height, so 1 inch of clearance simply won't work for taller drivers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A helmet can add 1.75 inches of height, so 1 inch of clearance simply won't work for taller drivers.
There is normally an insulated gap between the sheet metal of the roof and the headliner. According to Ford's technical specs, the incremental change is about 1 mm or only 0.04 inches with vs without the moonroof.

RS Dimensions.GIF

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love the moonroof on my ST (Except for the headliner rattle which should be easy to fix) and I don't like the look of the forged wheels at all. If you typically like moonroofs in cars it's an easy decision. If performance is the #1 factor and you can only choose one or the other due to cost, the price of the forged wheels can't be beat.

Mine will be a daily with an occasional track day so I went with standard wheels and moonroof.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Love the moonroof on my ST (Except for the headliner rattle which should be easy to fix) and I don't like the look of the forged wheels at all. If you typically like moonroofs in cars it's an easy decision. If performance is the #1 factor and you can only choose one or the other due to cost, the price of the forged wheels can't be beat.

Mine will be a daily with an occasional track day so I went with standard wheels and moonroof.
I ordered both, but am on the fence about canceling the moon roof. Is headliner rattle a common complaint with the ST?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can only comment on mine and mine does it. It's just irritating enough, but if I put just a slight bit of pressure on the headliner behind the moon roof it stops. I never think of it when I'm parked at home, otherwise I have no doubt a dab of silicone in between the headliner and frame would take care of the issue for good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered both, but am on the fence about canceling the moon roof. Is headliner rattle a common complaint with the ST?
Yes, mine does it too...particularly when the temp drops below 60 degrees F. Definitely annoying, but whenever it's warm I forget all about it.

John
PB '14 ST2

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is normally an insulated gap between the sheet metal of the roof and the headliner. According to Ford's technical specs, the incremental change is about 1 mm or only 0.04 inches with vs without the moonroof.

View attachment 3187
Note that it is referring to the second row of seats. No clear answer on the difference in the first row.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Note that it is referring to the second row of seats. No clear answer on the difference in the first row.
The rear is the area the the window slides into. If you've seen the location on the ST, that's the area impacted. The motor unit is more in the front, but in the middle and does not affect headroom.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts