Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going back and forth a lot a on this. Currently I have wheels included with the order. I know wheels can be changed anytime, but you just cant add a moon roof lol. My main concern is will it effect my head room that much as I'm a tall guy and like not hitting my head on the roof. Please chime in people! My current car doesnt have one, but before this I always had one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think you lose something like an inch and a half of headroom with the sunroof, that's that reason why I didn't get it on my order. If I HAD to pick. I would get the wheels, but, I would rather get those in the aftermarket anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I have time to think about it, but I think if I've lived without a sunroof for nearly 15 months, I can do without it. Plus this will not be a DD. It'll be my friday-sunday car.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Extra weight up top, less headroom with a helmet, unless you love sunroofs, why get it?

The forged wheels seemed like a bargain given the manufacturing costs involved. You won't see many forged wheels that fit our cars even out there, and the ones that do are either extremely expensive and/or have a lower quality forging, like rotary forging. And a lot of them weigh more. Ours are painted and could easily be stripped and powder-coated if you want a different look.

Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
My recommendation would be to visit your local ford dealer and sit in a Focus ST with a moon-roof, if you find you like it and would regret not having one go for it. As you alluded to in your post wheels can by added later. I originally opted out of having a moon-roof but went back and changed my order to have one as I'd miss not having it. the Cabin in these cars can be pretty dark if you have tint, the moon-roof helps brighten things up and improves the overall feel of the cabin (at least for me). If you feel claustrophobic in the ST then you know your answer.

Also if you plan on taking the car to the track bring your helmet with you for test fitting.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Torso height is the determining factor. For example I'm 6 foot one and I have a moonroof in my STA I'm able to autocross with a helmet on without rubbing on the roof. I think guys with a taller torso may experience the helmet Rob from the discussions I read in the past

As far as extra weight on top it's negligible.

My ST is black on the inside and without the moonroof it would feel like you were in a cave.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well here in Canada we got to get both... But I would of chosen wheels. That's just me. I kind of like the forged wheels, unique...

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I've been going back and forth a lot a on this. Currently I have wheels included with the order. I know wheels can be changed anytime, but you just cant add a moon roof lol. My main concern is will it effect my head room that much as I'm a tall guy and like not hitting my head on the roof. Please chime in people! My current car doesnt have one, but before this I always had one.
You start out with 38.3 inches of headroom. As others have said it takes away 1 to 1 1/2" of headroom and you will still have quite a bit of headroom. If you are going to track your RS and already have your helmet your safest option is to go to a Ford dealer and sit in a Ford Focus ST with and without a moonroof.

Good Luck!

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm 6'2 195lbs, and I fit in an ST3 w/ moonroof just fine. It's been my daily driver 2 years now. It's also worth noting that I tend to sit very upright, and I still have at least an inch of headroom left. In my opinion, the moon roof is totally worth the money, to me at least. Yes, you're adding ~50lbs to the top of the car, but having the sunroof open on a sunny 75 degree day vastly outweighs the hundredth (totally guessing here) of a second it would add to my lap times.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just kinda a PSA to everyone, dont let people scare you away from the moonroof.

The Whole "50 pounds, intertia, center of gravity jumbo". Chances are you will never ever even notice the difference between a car with or without a sunroof, unless your pushing the car to its absolute max. Even in spirited driving you will not feel the effects of a moonroof.

Will a car with a sunroof be marginally slower than a car without?: it will be such a fraction of a difference is kinda crazy how much attention this is getting. unless your in the minority of people who can race cars on a track with such ability to really push it, or you plan to gut your RS you wont notice the performance effects.

Headroom clearance with/without a helmet: Headroom clearance is basically only a issue for people that are tall or have a lengthy torso. like stated in a previous post best thing to do is grab your helmet, go find a focus ST with or without a moonroof and judge for yourself, everyone is different.

i can already see some people grabbing pitchforks and torchs to come kill me but thats the truth, the moonroof is basically a personal preference unless you plan to track your car, and think the moonroof is a hindrance to your performance.

with that being said, Moonroof first, you can always go buy aftermarket wheels, taking a saw to your roof and making a moonroof tends to be a bit harder

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You start out with 38.3 inches of headroom. As others have said it takes away 1 to 1 1/2" of headroom and you will still have quite a bit of headroom. If you are going to track your RS and already have your helmet your safest option is to go to a Ford dealer and sit in a Ford Focus ST with and without a moonroof.

Good Luck!

YMMV,

MidCow3
Most people who will track the RS won't want a moonroof for other reasons. Some will sure, but I don't know any track guys with moonroofs unless it wasn't an option ;)

People chase thousandths of a second in laptimes so the added expense, weight and reduction in stiffness isn't worth it for most track guys. Marginal difference sure, but still a difference.

For me, I never use moonroofs as I find them to be pointless but the biggest issue is headroom. I can't fit in an ST with a moon roof with a seating position I like without having my head (edit: well helmet anyways) on the roof.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
40 Participants
Slider
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing