Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I've been as frustrated as anyone by the ordering process and the slow drip of (often inaccurate) information from the dealers. This forum has been a godsend. I've been trading emails with a former senior colleague in product planning at Ford, and he asked me for information and ideas on how to improve the process. He'd like to pass it along to a gentleman who has the appropriate level of influence. Rather than just say, "read the whole purchasing thread," I was hoping y'all could provide some respectful but useful feedback on what you see to be the biggest issues / frustrations with the acquisition of our sweet little RS.

TLDR: tell it like it is, but don't be ****s.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hi everyone -

I've been as frustrated as anyone by the ordering process and the slow drip of (often inaccurate) information from the dealers. This forum has been a godsend. I've been trading emails with a former senior colleague in product planning at Ford, and he asked me for information and ideas on how to improve the process. He'd like to pass it along to a gentleman who has the appropriate level of influence. Rather than just say, "read the whole purchasing thread," I was hoping y'all could provide some respectful but useful feedback on what you see to be the biggest issues / frustrations with the acquisition of our sweet little RS.

TLDR: tell it like it is, but don't be ****s.
Do it how they do in Europe, get your name on a pre-order list, Ford allows you to select a dealer to take delivery, Ford allocates a car to your chosen dealer, you go in to the dealer and put down your down payment for MSRP (they don't allow ADM). No fuss, no muss...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If the customer is OK buying the car at MSRP, allow them to order and purchase the car DIRECT from Ford. Then let their slimy dealer network just collect the money they would if they had enough vehicular morals to sell the car for RETAIL. Then the car ships to your closest Stealership, they PPI it. This way Ford could foster some brand loyalty instead of customers having to endure days and hours of agony dealing with their (mostly) crappy dealer network. Basically, make the dealers a glorified delivery arm. "Yes, I have a car for pick-up in will call".

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
tcovington.

Making the ordering process better:

(1) Ford should make a much better effort to communicate accurate information in a timely manner. There was a lot of information leaked early that was incorrect and Ford made no effort to correct. There has been a lot of FUD( Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) and there still is a lot of unknown information. Ford should work harder on confidentiality and when information has been vetted and proven, distribute it expediently to all sources at the same time.

(2) The allocation system. The order system. The ADM policies. These all should be defined in detail by Ford and enforced by Ford. Dealers who do not follow the rules should be dealt with; These penalties/fines should be clearly defined ahead of time so that customers and violating dealers know what to expect.

(3) If the Ford Focus RS is a limited quantity vehicle, then it and other Limited vehicles should be defined and handled in a separate consistent process. This does not appear to be the case now.

(4) Customers/orderees should have the ability to access an online database to track the status of their vehicle. Such communication currently does not exist or is very poor.

From what I have learned and my personal experience owning a 2013 Ford Focus ST, ST3 I am excited and assured that the Ford Focus RS I have on order will be an excellent , outstanding, premier world leading vehicle.

Thanks for offering to listen to the RS Forum users.

YMMV Sincerely,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
376 Posts
For a limited run car like this, we should be able to buy direct from Ford. As it is each dealer will make 6k+ off of each car @ MSRP. Tacking on another 1.5-10k is just rape for the people who are really passionate about the car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I can understand not providing a list of of dealers with their allocations as that could create concerns between dealers. Ford should be able to announce the number of allocations for all dealers in the US though. The order tracking system should be fixed/work. The customer should be able to verify that their order falls within allocation for a specific dealer so they don't possibly get screwed by a shady dealer. Retail orders should be distributed at the same time as dealer stock with order date as the priority. If order date is the same, randomly draw orders.

·
Registered
418 Posts
tcovington.

Making the ordering process better

(4) Customers/orderees should have the ability to access an online database to track the status of their vehicle. Such communication currently does not exist or is very poor
This system does exist. The link was posted in another thread. If that link does not offer enough detail for you, pm me your order number and dealer code and I can look up the status for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
For a limited run car like this, we should be able to buy direct from Ford. As it is each dealer will make 6k+ off of each car @ MSRP. Tacking on another 1.5-10k is just rape for the people who are really passionate about the car.
How are dealers making $6k+ at msrp? The difference between invoice and msrp is right around $3k.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Two simple rules would pacify 99.9% of the public.
1) require AUTHORIZED/APPROVED dealers to pass a product knowledge test. From knowing what is on the car to the order process and to delivery. (that is not asking a lot)
2) Put a cap on what the dealer can charge IF ford is to allow said dealer to sell the car. (dealers will still have plenty of opportunity to up the profits via extended warranties,rates and add ons)

·
Registered
376 Posts
How are dealers making $6k+ at msrp? The difference between invoice and msrp is right around $3k.
Dealers make a lot of money off of things not included in each sale price but are tied to each car sale. Invoice with hold back is about half that. Then you add in the profits from the satisfaction score, accessories and packages, parts and services, as well as interest rate kick backs. 6k per car at MSRP is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with much of the above.

I'd also add, treat your early adopters and enthusiasts better.
Here we are dropping 40k on a sight unseen, non test driven first generation of a new limited halo car. We are the fans, the gearheads, the enthusiasts. We are brand ambassadors and whether we want to or not we represent the front lines of public exposure. For many, our cars will be at car shows, events, and trackdays, advertising for Ford.
Don't gouge us, don't lie to us, and most of all treat us with respect. Similar to the games industry where preorder bonuses are costing and screwing the hardcore gamers, we are the one percent who eat/breathe/sleep performance, and we should be treated fairly.

As a first time Ford customer, I could easily have gotten an S3, CPO Cayman S, or the new M2, but I'm choosing to give Ford a shot. Give all of us the respect of a fair transaction and clear information.

(Steps off soapbox)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Allocation allocation allocation! Let potential customers know if their dealers are allocated Focus RS's via a chart on Fords website. Also, a clear number regarding how many RS's will be produced for the 2016 MY, and a cap on the pre-ordering process similar to the UK so people at least have somewhat of an idea of availability between now, production, and spring deliveries.

When I google news about the Focus RS, there are quite a few recent articles detailing Australian/NZ pricing and specs. I'm guessing that Ford is rolling out the info in tidbits and hopefully within the next week, we'll know official production numbers and such.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also, a clear number regarding how many RS's will be produced for the 2016 MY, and a cap on the pre-ordering process similar to the UK so people at least have somewhat of an idea of availability between now, production, and spring deliveries.
This is just an educated guess as I don't know anything about the Saarlouis plant but the production number for 2016MY RS's probably is not set in stone. If demand is up, the plant can work OT or just change the mix rate. There are probably limits to how many can be churned out in a month but the blue oval can easily respond to the market.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Here we are dropping 40k on a sight unseen, non test driven first generation of a new limited halo car. We are the fans, the gearheads, the enthusiasts. We are brand ambassadors and whether we want to or not we represent the front lines of public exposure. For many, our cars will be at car shows, events, and trackdays, advertising for Ford.
Don't gouge us, don't lie to us, and most of all treat us with respect. Similar to the games industry where preorder bonuses are costing and screwing the hardcore gamers, we are the one percent who eat/breathe/sleep performance, and we should be treated fairly.

As a first time Ford customer, I could easily have gotten an S3, CPO Cayman S, or the new M2, but I'm choosing to give Ford a shot. Give all of us the respect of a fair transaction and clear information.

(Steps off soapbox)
Fk yeah... SOLID post. Get up on that box anytime. I feel exactly like you do. Definitely some nice options out there even without the ADM gouge. I also wanted to give Ford a shot. Will see how this pans out. I just wonder how many FIRST TIME buyers, and possible ambassadors they'll have lost with all this dealer douchery.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Some sort of centralized organization would have been best, a centralized site saying which dealer had X amount of allotments originally and how many they had left in real time. Something from Ford themselves where you can verify your order and allotment number, rather than hope the dealer is telling you the truth.

Another thing would be to have a way to report dealers that are charging ADM. If you (Ford) are already forcing the dealers to have individual customers (not brokers) order the car, then enforce something that says they cannot add ADM without repercussions and have a way to report that to Ford as well.

There have been many people that have called there local dealer and set something up, only to find that the dealer lied over the phone about pricing and wanted to add money to the cost of the car when the buyer is ready to pay for the car, forcing the buyer to walk out and their time has been wasted. No one wants to feel taken advantage of or feel screwed. That should never happen and I should have never had to make a dealer ADM blacklist for my area either. After that would happen, you had to continue calling around and scouring the country until you found a reasonable dealer, this is nonsense, I shouldn't have to search to find someone to take my 40k dollars.

Lastly, when we see greedy dealers, we see Ford as greedy also ... you should be worried about your brand image. This is my first Ford purchase ever and my first american car purchase ever, if this doesn't go well, I'll never buy another Ford again and I'll be quite vocal about why.

·
Registered
5 Posts

(Steps off soapbox)
THIS!!!!!!
This is also my first Ford experience. If it wasn't for the RS being such an excellent looking car, 350hp/350 torque, and AWD, I would tell these guys to kick rocks! They have been nothing but useless!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts