Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Didn't Ford had owned Mazda's major shares in the past?

Some Mazda models shares some same genetics as the Ford counterparts.

Comparing the Mazdaspeed 6 and the RS is apples and bananas.

I have said before, from my experience... The RS to me is a combo for the Evo IX and the X.

Stock vs stock between the 3 for me it would be in this order:

Evo X MR
Focus RS
Evo IX MR

Modded...... the RS for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
I think that Matt Farah did some good things for us while he had the car, despite selling it off in the end. We learned a lot from his videos... while they were still good. I gave up on him when he started pushing his watches all the time, then when he put somebody else in the videos instead of himself. That new guy doesn't have the personality or ability, IMHO.
And the RS wasn't the car for him in the end... frankly he is too big for it, it would never have worked in the long run.
I disagree, since he bogarted on RSAA. I have his name tag from Utah as proof. (He was scheduled to be in my class, a few other members can vouch on this) Besides, I don’t see him as a true owner since he leased his ride and all of his mods were sponsored/free. Also don’t get me started on how he got his ride and the whining he did way back when. Anyone remember BMF? I do agree he went all commercial and peddled items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I disagree, since he bogarted on RSAA. I have his name tag from Utah as proof. (He was scheduled to be in my class, a few other members can vouch on this) Besides, I don’t see him as a true owner since he leased his ride and all of his mods were sponsored/free. Also don’t get me started on how he got his ride and the whining he did way back when. Anyone remember BMF? I do agree he went all commercial and peddled items.

Seconded. I’m glad that ****bag didn’t show.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does the Mazdaspeed 6 really have better handling? I have to say the handling on the RS is one of the best I've tested in awhile. Turn in is excellent, the weight of steering is excellent, the feedback is excellent. I mean, a lotus would beat the RS. A 86 beats the RS. If the handling really is better, i need to go look at one of these Mazdaspeeds.

I would have to compare the Focus RS to the Mazdaspeed 6, and the truth is.... it doesn't. The Sexy was amazing. Though both had 2.3l turbocharged engines, all wheel drive etc etc etc, the Mazdaspeed 6 had better handling, acceleration, ergonomics, and fun. OK, it didn't have Drift, but it had unique key features like proximity locking (soo cool in '06), and the ability to roll all the windows up or down from outside. The stability and traction control was far superior in every way - you could feel it work. And the Bose sound system was awesome. Ok, I did take the RS through the mountains here in Canada, and I have to admit it was fun - the overboost, the suspension, braking, all were at their best in the twisties and straights, even scary at times. I would still take another 6 over the RS any day. Plus, I'm not a Ford Guy. I've had several issues with our Capital Ford Dealership here in Winnipeg, and would never go back or recommend them. They presented the car with a dent on the hood at Delivery, and it only got worse from there. But that's separate from the vehicles. Still, know both cars really well, I'd still go Zoom Zoom. View attachment 324176
View attachment 324172 View attachment 324174

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does the Mazdaspeed 6 really have better handling? I have to say the handling on the RS is one of the best I've tested in awhile. Turn in is excellent, the weight of steering is excellent, the feedback is excellent. I mean, a lotus would beat the RS. A 86 beats the RS. If the handling really is better, i need to go look at one of these Mazdaspeeds.
One of my best friends had a Speed 6 and I drove it once, although a good five years before I got the RS so it wasn’t a direct comparison. It felt kind of Subaru-like but also kind of German because it was so competent and sober. It didn’t have the “alive” feeling of the RS that comes from the sharp communicative steering and torque vectoring to bring the rear axle into play. I think journalist reviews say it understeered at the limit, but I never got there since I was driving on public roads.

I did appreciate that it was a great sleeper. Before he bought it I didn’t even know a performance Mazda 6 existed, and I think there are a lot of enthusiasts who still don’t know it ever existed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good read up from Matt. I like my RS2 seat.. a lot..
We do have a local RS group admin that has the Euro Recaro CS and no airbag light.. they look phenomenal

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice objective write up. As much as I love Ford, they, along with any car or manufacturer, are not without fault. I look forward to eventually driving and buying one as long as I fit and the seats are halfway remotely comfortable. Although I would never lease a car, I don't think that leasing versus buying removes any objectivity like some people have stated. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a tough comparison...the RS certainly has its flaws (i have to keep my chiropractor on speed dial for after any trips to downtown Houston). I owned a Speed6 and a Speed3 and I wouldnt say that either handled as well as the RS. The speed 6 was a dog...like all kinds of slow, the suspension was squishy, and the steering was numb (for me). The Speed3 tried to steer itself everywhere using the engine torque so that is not a comparable car either. I had a Golf R, but that didnt feel like a performance car...
The RS feels fast, all the time, it also feels like it wants to kill me on occasion and it has (arguably) some of the least comfortable suspension of all time. I have a really hard time finding another vehicle that I have owned that makes a good apples to apples comparison to the RS. I suppose the Golf R, but it was more comfortable and sacrificed fun and handling to be so...oh well

·
Registered
65 Posts
some of the least comfortable suspension of all time.
You should try driving my 84 toyota pickup. Owning something like that for contrast is a great way to never care about the "poor ride quality" of the pre-2018 Focus RS.

Personally I like somewhat of a stiff ride, after installing he DSC damper controller to take the edge off it's pretty much perfect, not vw/audi/bmw good, but good enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should try driving my 84 toyota pickup. Owning something like that for contrast is a great way to never care about the "poor ride quality" of the pre-2018 Focus RS.

Personally I like somewhat of a stiff ride, after installing he DSC damper controller to take the edge off it's pretty much perfect, not vw/audi/bmw good, but good enough in my opinion.
For sure there are vehicles out there that are much less comfortable than a Focus RS. I also have a 1956 Willys CJ6...it is basically a park bench with wheels and a 3hp motor. I guess I shouldnt have said least comfortable of all time...maybe just of the last few years. The stiff suspension keeps the handling very tight in the RS, but it is certainly a compromise of comfort over performance. That is why i picked a Focus RS though, it is all performance...and it costs less than a Porsche 911 GT2 RS :D

121 - 130 of 130 Posts